What's the difference between FireFox and Internet Explorer?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Ecclesiastes2003, May 6, 2005.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one difference disappeared today - the totally excellent Netcraft "anti-phishing" toolbar became available for Firefox. Get it here.

3. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would. It's not like a "Firefox bad! Opera rools!" thing, I also have Firefox on my computer, but I just like using Opera better. The two browsers aren't that different though, I would probably be using Firefox as well if I hadn't found a way to remove the add line on top of the Opera browser.

Just in case this isn't common knowledge:
    You can get a free & legal registration code for Opera 7.54 HERE
    Fill in the name and a valid email adress, use this as the code: OJD000MN
    They'll then send your registration code to your email to remove the add line.

Downloading Opera 7.54 can be done HERE

You could then basically upgrade to Opera 8 for a discount, but I'm way more than satisfied with the free version I'm using now (i.e. loving it like a perverted fantasy) so I'll stick with this one. (my Dutch surroundings have gotten to me)

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never got the "anti-phising" stuff. To me, anyone smart enough to download the anti-phishing software knows not to fall for the scams. I think education is really the only important thing when it comes to stopping the problem.

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    That no longer is the case. People are starting to make spyware and what not for Firefox. It's been out for what, a year? Give it some time.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It's going to take years and years before Firefox reaches IE's level of vulnerability... except it won't since they actually put out security updates before they become a huge problem.

7. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    That's because IE been around for a longer period of time, not because FireFox is the best thing ever. Plus, it's 2005. People are smarter. It won't take that long for them to mess things up.Netscape would be having this same problem if people actually used it...but since they don't, no one bothers.

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I see people make the same scarcity argument over and over and acting like it discounts all other possibilities that Fx could be better than IE. Anyhoo, to address your points,

1. People are as stupid as ever. People will always be stupid and will believe what Microsoft tells them.
    2. No reasonable person thinks Firefox is "the best thing ever". It's just better than IE. That said, I prefer Safari so I don't really have a dog in the fight.
    3. Firefox has two fundamental advantages over IE, (1) it's not tied to the OS and (2) It doesn't use ActiveX.
    4. Whether a browser has been around for ages is irrelevant. Security patches should address all known security and get hackers to square one.
    5. Fx doesn't install software unless you explicitly tell it to. I have been told IE solved this issue with SP2 - can anyone confirm?

9. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yes, SP2 has made that move. Nothing can be installed without your permission. Active X files can't be installed either because it'll read it as a pop-up and block it. The only way it can be downloaded is if you click in the yellow rectangle at the top of your screen and permit it's downloading.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big issue here is that people are stupid and don't always know what they should do (this is true no matter what browser you use).

11. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    So so true.. if you're new to the internet or just an idiot, then you'll get fvcked royaly no matter what browser you use.
    Fortunately, Firefox has made it a little safer for the average idiot or newbie to use it. And the extras like tabs have made it a better browser.

12. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    A prime example are those pop-ups that look like an XP window. A vet of the Internet knows what and what not to do...its the rookies that don't.