What's the Deal with Celtic & Rangers and other FAQ's.

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by manic jambo, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manic jambo

manic jambo New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Edinburgh
    FAO -cman-

I am a little confused by this particular topic.

It starts off as an FAQ on Scottish football (presumably for the benefit of those outwith our small nation), yet the only question raised/answered is the "sectarian" one.

It is true that as far as the old firm are concerned this is the most important issue in the universe but to throw this hate filled subject in "with the finer points of the game" as you put it gives the impression that sectarianism is a Scottish problem when in reality it is a Celtic/Rangers problem.

I also think it is a bit insulting to all the other Scottish teams to give the impression that Scottish football is ONLY about 2 teams.

Yes, they are by far and away the 2 best teams in the country but that does not mean the rest of our countries teams should be ignored.

I would hope therefore that your "in progress" FAQ's will approach other issues which do not relate to the Old Firm and their bigoted beliefs.

For the benefit of strangers to Scotland's not-so-beautiful game, the majority of non old-firm fans detest the way the supporters of these 2 clubs drag the good name of our country through the muck with their constant religious hatred of each other.

It is an unfortunate coincidence that you have used passages from a Hearts fans website (I too am a jambo!!) but I believe this is more an issue for those interested in the history of protestants/catholics than a Scottish football question.Unless of course you are presuming that the only people who visit this site are Old Firm fans????

I do not wish to upset anyone with these comments, only to point out if this is a Scottish football site then the topics should reflect this.

Thank you for your time

2. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    While it may have started out like an FAQ on the bright and the beautiful of scottish footy, I think Cman intended to put something up for the (very) occasional lost soul who wanders into our neck of the woods asking "whats the deal with celtic and rangers (add an "s" and "the" where applicable) and that this sticky was meant purely to help those poor wee lambs in coming to an understanding of the sectarian history and background behind the old firm rivalry, to introduce other teams in at this point would surely confuse the wee darlins beyond all assistance so its best to leave it at that.

3. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    What PF said...

I also thought it would be fun/interesting to add on a lexicon of Scottish-isms for the culturally impaired. E.g. Awa' wi' the faeries, etc.

But then I got a new job, and had to move, etc. It'll come.

4. tengobotas

tengobotas New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    economic piss

The reason the SPL is in the toilet is because no matter where people are from in Scotland, they watch one of the two teams. I dont mean everyone but, its a huge factor.

5. manic jambo

manic jambo New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Edinburgh
    Re: economic piss

The real reason it is "in the toilet" is because it is run by toilet attendants.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Go Rangers....

7. tengobotas

tengobotas New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    rangers

Rangers are in trouble because they are tempting the same demons that Leeds tempted and lost. Look where Leeds was a few seasons ago and now where they are. The huns need to get used to the idea that the dark ages are coming...

8. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Not to turn this into a secterian thread, but the one factor not mentioned is that a lot of newer Old Firm fans couldn't give a rat's ass about the religion thing. I know I'm not the only atheist Celtic fan out there. :)

9. tengobotas

tengobotas New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    i'll second that....

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I'm an aitheist Rangers fans :)

11. tengobotas

tengobotas New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    and we are all supporters of one of the worlds worst teams, the metrostars.

12. tengobotas

tengobotas New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY

In the street today
    Murder on the terraces
    And fools in high places
    It's all so sickening
    And we're so satisfied -
    In the street tonight
    Hate on every pavement
    Paranoia on shop doorways
    The kids want some action
    And who can fu**ing blame them now
    It's all so sickening, and we're so satisfied

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Soy del Metro !!!

Are you a member of the ESC? Do you stand and sing the full 90 in section 101?

14. tengobotas

tengobotas New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    im usually to busy trying to get drunk and cussing at Clint Mathis for singing. ;)

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    haha
    join the ESC!
    www.empiresc.com !!!

16. tengobotas

tengobotas New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I will probably join for next season considering i went to probably 10 games this past season... We usually sat down in the end because if you dont, the game pretty much sucks.

cheers!

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Come over to the Metros board. No need for us to waste space over in Scotland :)
    Go Rangers!
    lol

18. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    I wasn't going to say anything because you guys were so pleasantly pissing on the Metros, but do please take it outside.

Enjoy your off-season. I'll be thinking of you on the plane to L.A. Friday. :)

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope you intend on bringing a NYR Metros Big Soccer banner to the game!! :)

20. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Scotland and Wales are in the middle of possibly there most important games in decades and you lot are going on about the MLS .... get a grip man .

;)

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here, Here

I was raised "Catholic" then was an atheist/agnostic for 9 yrs, Jewish the last 4, and now finally considering being a Protestant....I seem to be drawn to Celtic!

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    What games? :(

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does the religion and country loyalty still matter???

I mean we all still see tons of tricolours at Parkhead and Union Jacks at Ibrox. The Rangers still sing Brittania and God Save the Queen....BUT does the religion and love of Ireland and UK still matter???

I was sitting in a Chicago pub watching Arsenal vs. Lokamotiv and a few friends said that Orange bastards were not allowed anymore there...and this is not a Celtic pub at all. I was shocked.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Anyone got some video shots of the atmosphere at Ibrox?

I've seen a few from Celtic Park singing You'll never walk alone.

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Try emailing some people at this link.

Hope this helps you connect with some fellow Rangers Supporters, seems like your gonna burst soon! Good luck and follow the links, there are more 'gers fans out there than you think.

http://www.narsa.ca/