What's the biggest fcuk up you've ever done on a computer

Discussion in 'Technology' started by yimmy, Oct 12, 2006.

1. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    A long time ago I had a customer send me their registry to check out and see if there was anything wrong with it. In my haste, I double clicked on the .reg file and my imported another computers registry into my own and ended up reinstalling the OS to fix that screw up.

Another time when I was just a lowly ops guy, I had to restore an exchange database in the wee hours of the evening but the restore host wasn't up so I just picked another host to restore to and I happend to pick the company's main email server. I ended up crashing it and made their email go down for about 12 hours.

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22 years ago, I typed B:\ 'del *.*'

Erased my 360K floppy disk filled with a semester's worth of files.

Never made that mistake again.

3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you ought to consider getting out of the IT field.

4. techin

techin New Member

Feb 2, 2000
    Mine wasn't with the computer per se, but it affected a whole bunch of them. In a high school class, there were chairs on wheels (probably a bad idea in a high school classroom). Anyways, somehow I managed to snag a wheel leg on network cabling that wasn't covered by the strip pad that otherwise laid across the aisle. And when I wheeled away, I ripped whatever cables they were out from wherever they were connected to, crippling the entire classroom's computers for the afternoon. No one thanked me for lightening their class load that day, ungrateful bastards.

5. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    LOL, done and done!

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it wasn't me exactly ... but it was my fault. I let my kid pound on the keyboard. I have no idea how he did it (he was 18 months) but he killed off all of our photos. fortunately, we have a very good backup system and so I was able to restore them all.
    but why I let my kid get near that computer I'll never know.

7. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Many years ago I though I was haxor supreme and almost brought an end to life as we know it...

A movie was eventually made about my experience.

[​IMG]

:D

8. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    nothing yet, maybe because
    [​IMG]

9. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    back in windows 98 days, i "borrowed" an anti-virus application from some untrusted source and it not only deleted all the hidden viruses on my computer but also everything on the harddrive.

good old days

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try attaching a nasty e-mail in Outlook to an entire wideband distribution list; talk about reaching out and touching the world!!! Bad move!!!

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of our database tables was running out of extents (space) so I had to back it up and restore it. I didn't realize that doing so was going to take eight hours; so basically the entire business was shut down for about five. Line workers were happy. Management definitely wasn't.

When you have written code and done systems work on everything from a mainframe to AS/400 to Unix to Windows to PC-DOS to OS/2 as long as I have you are bound to f---up hard at some point. So it is really how you recover and make amends for your f---ups that matters. In the above trauma I did a lot of research and used a combination of pre-sorting, delayed high and low-level index key value writes, and large block I/O to get the restore time from eight hours down to about thirty minutes; benefitting the organization incredibly for years...

13. TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Vote Kodos in '08!!

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just opened up my desktop computer to try to add more RAM. Now for some reason the connection to the monitor is ********ed up. Tested the monitor out on my laptop, the monitor works fine.

(I'm on my laptop typing this FYI).

Have to take it to a repair shop tomorrow AM.

14. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    isn't it just taht you added a wrong memory for your pc and once you get rid of it your display come back alive?

15. TheBlackKnight

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    I couldn't even ADD the memory. The memory is located underneath my hard drives and I could NOT figure out how to dismount those hard drives to get access to adding the friggin RAM.

:(

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a word of warning, my photo is in reference to installing RAM in a computer.

17. TheBlackKnight

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Interesting.

Doesn't matter - CompUSA has the machine now - they'll install the RAM and figure out how I ********ed up the video input.

18. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in high school, I did something ********ed up with Scandisk and managed to format my entire hard drive. 4 GB was a lot of hard drive space in 1997 (it wasn't full, but still a lot to lose). :(

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God help you. ;)

20. TheBlackKnight

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Got it back THE NEXT DAY. RAM installed, they had to update my BIOS in order to install the new RAM as well as fix my video problem.

Was very impressed with their speed and quality of service.

21. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear. They were always so hit-or-miss when I used them, although that was about ten years so. I remember having a modem problem that they were never able to figure out. Oh well.

22. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    wow, usually they would say, "oh your motherboard is dead and you need to replace it. don't worry it's only 399 bucks with a $99 service fee. we can even waive the fee as you are such a great customer for us"

unless you are a shill from compusa, i am impressed

23. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Backups weren't working so I tried to Ghost a server's hard drive to a spare disk. Managed to Ghost the blank disk onto the Servers disk. Had a long night rebuilding it from scratch.

24. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    LookingToProperlyIntroduceMyselfToAnIcelandicGirl
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've never had bad luck while playing or using computers. I'v been knowledgable and lucky enought not to ******** anything up.....

...except...I unintentionally deleted everything in the mac I got at the agency I work in now. I was cleaning, deleting shit and optimizing the mac and once I thought I was done and ready to start working, i realized that I by mistake dragged the Applications folder to the trash and deleted every single program, music and typefaces I had there.....Thank god my boss was cool about it...........but I sure didn't feel cool at all after this ******** up since it happened during my first week at this job. :D

25. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start looking at adult material... :eek:

No just kidding. Really, it was trying to tweak my computer back in the day to get the best graphics out of Rainbow Six. Ended up messing the whole program's graphics up altogether and had to reinstall I guess. :(