What's Next in 2020?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by CoachJon, Aug 6, 2020.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What have you heard about games coming up?

On the Richie Burke show Tuesday, Burke said the Spirit were definitely planning on resuming training on August 17, per the league policy.

He said they were trying to schedule home-and-home games with Sky Blue and also with NC Courage.
    He said the Courage were trying to put together a four team round robin at Wake Med Soccer Park, with games on a Sunday-Wednesday-Sunday kind of schedule. He said the Spirit were hoping to get in 8 games before the season end date in October (the 17th, I think).

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #2 Cliveworshipper, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Well, the Thorns have this week put me on the list to roll my season tickets over to next year and are giving me a little store credit, a mug, and some trinkets As an original member of the Thorns century link club.

One would think that would have been the time to mention games this year.

and our Governor is still banning sporting events with crowds through at least September and today announced Multnomah county (where Portland is) might go back to Phase 1. ( essential business only).

I think no games. Maybe a closed door affair with The Reign, but they went to Utah on charter jet. I don’t see more of that.

Klingo3034 and CoachJon repped this.
  3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    9 teams, split up into three mini-tournaments/friendlies? Play each other 3 times for 6 more games throughout September?

GROUP A: Portland, OL Reign, Utah
    GROUP B: Houston, Orlando, North Carolina
    GROUP C: SkyBlue, Washington, Chicago

4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Should do another short tournament Cup in the Fall/winter.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems very unlikely based on what we've heard so far. I think it'll be exhibition friendlies and not necessarily in an organized "season" manner where every team gets the same number of matches/regional tournaments, but perhaps just based on which teams are able to get together. At this point, I would hope any matches would be without fans although I do think a couple of organizations might try to pull off a match or two with some fans in attendance.

And because it fits in this thread, I'm going to go ahead and pull in my post from the News and Media thread:

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Might be that POR+SEA are currently fairly isolated geographically from the rest of the league, so they might be calling it "done" while other teams are looking at friendlies with each other and such... At the very least, DC is within busing distance of NJ and NC, so that makes things easier for those particular situations. I kinda doubt any other friendlies are an option unless a team is willing to host other teams for an extended time (maybe like NC's mini-tournament).

CoachJon and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The fact that NWSL players are busy finding another place to play outside USA seems to confirm the notion that there won't be any women's club soccer in the States for the reminder of 2020.

Yuka Momiki signs for Linköpings FC in Sweden:

CoachJon and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Surprised Christen Press didn't return over there.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    On a similar note: Nahomi Kawasumi is back to Japan to play in INAC Kobe Leonessa for the reminder of 2020 season (the translation from Japanese suggests that it's a loan):

CoachJon and Klingo3034 repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

59Amerinorsk, blissett, CoachJon and 2 others repped this.
  11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Glad we have 9 teams, if not this would not be possible.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What is "this?"

13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC