What's next for Honduras?

Discussion in 'Central America' started by IowaBoy, Nov 17, 2004.

1. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In light of tonight's results and the fact that the Seleccion Nacional de Honduras will be relegated to friendlies for the next three years or so, what do you think will happen?
    Will there be a major effort by FENAFUTH to identify the problem and fix it, will there be band-aid measures taken that may look good on the surface but not really FIX the problem, or will things stay the way they are?

It seems the next order of action is getting a new coach, since it was my understanding that the Chelato deal was a one shot type of thing. It would seem that most high caliber coaches likely have jobs already coaching other teams in their qualification process...do you think Honduras will name an interim coach and wait until after Germany to select their next coach? Do you see them going with another Catracho coach or someone from outside the country?
    What are the current problems that yielded this result (other than an unfortunate draw)?
    Who are the players that won't be around next time? Who are the young up and comers?

Just interested in a good discussion of Honduran football...something I've grown more interested in by going there twice and being engaged to a catracha (who was in tears tonight after I told her the final score). I hope for Honduras to reach their potential as a footballing nation...what do you think must be done?

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well they got the Gold Cup to look forward to next year.

3. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, forgot about that little number.

Will Honduras use the same team they used tonight, or might they use that to groom some of the younger players?

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    es un total pesar nacional - lo que se vive en honduras!

recambio es lo que se necesita! New generation of players and a coach with new ideas

5. erdeek

erdeek New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    T-Town
    South Africa 2010!!!
    Adelante Seleccion, Adelante Seleccion

In all seriousness, very sad but gotta keep supporting the home team.

Hopefully things will change and we can get something going in the next couple of years, I guess only time will tell.

6. RED_HOT_CHILI_PEPPER

Feb 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    First thing to do is GET EL PRIMI BACK!

7. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Also, remember that David Suazo, by far their best player, missed the last three games.

8. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    they should replace the field in Morazan, my backyard is in better conditions...

9. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Very true that Suazo, much like Wanchope for Costa Rica, is Honduras' best player. They live and die with his performances. Sorry to say, but that's the sign of a bad team.

10. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Honduras has good players. I think that most people can agree that they should have done better this campaign and that they should have qualified for WC 2002.

As an outsider who follows Honduran football, I think that the FENAFUTH has to take a serious look at how they do business. There is way too much internal conflict. There are cash flow problems (how many months did Bora not get paid?).

I also think that like some of my catracho friends say, recent history shows there is a pattern of choking for the HON national team. When there is a really important game, la camisa se queda grande ("shirt's too big"). It's almost like they expect to choke; like they don't think that they can get it done. I know that it may sound silly, but maybe committing to pursue some sports psychology program could be of some use. Training for players is multifaceted. Maybe that is one aspect that has been ignored and could be given more attention.

The next time that HON can score a bigtime foreign coach like Bora, you have to pay him on time and the public probably needs to be more patient. Not paying someone on time and telling them that you want them out--not a good combination.

Gold Cup is a great time to start rebuilding.

11. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    it sucked that the last match came down to a crappy field...honduras had the capacity to make it to the finals.

that said, i think catrachos will bring strongest team to Gold Cup...then rebuild afterwards, south africa is still 6 years away.

12. catracha

catracha New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    puerto cortes

no he's been tainted with guatemala.

13. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras has the talent to at least get to the playoff with Oceania for the World Cup. The question is has FENAFUTH screwed things up too much???

14. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Honduras might be playing in Canada on July 1st.