What're your favorite European teams?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Pingudo, Nov 14, 2004.

1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Newcastle have spirit.
    Gin,whisky you name it. ;)

2. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

We have a comic in the house. Honestly man. Get a grip.

3. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Like Jenas and Dyer griping the bar at last orders. :cool:

4. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Erm ok cocknose.

5. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm so glad I'm around responsible, mature intellectuals.....like y'all.

Revelian

6. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thank you very much sunbeam.

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

He was talking about me.

8. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thank you very much aswell then.

9. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oxford United, we should have played in the Uefa Cup after winning the League Cup in 1986. Doesn't look like we'll get another chance. (did win 2-0 away to AS Roma in the Anglo-Italian Cup in the 70s)
    Banbury United, does playing the odd League game on the Isle of Wight count?
    Aston Villa/Liverpool, English teams who I go and watch if they are in Europe.
    Werder Bremen, went to a couple of games there a few years ago.

10. Jarnel

Jarnel New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    California
    Why not? One of the best teams in the 90's (Johan Cruyff's Dream Team)... the biggest stadium in Europe... supporters all over the world... open-minded and friendly club... and not only in soccer (football), also in basketball (Pau Gasol's team), handball, hockey... and some more sports.

The main point is that is a club close to people... for example, comparing Ronaldinho (nice plain guy) with Beckham (who is far far away from this world).

11. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Hey, back to that tangent. Did you ever establish who are the most popular teams in England?

I assume that Manchester United is at the top. But than who?

I know Newcastle draw a lot of fans, but I assume that their support is regional. Does their support extend beyond the North East? I would assume the same is true for Chelsea (that is, their fans are localized: part of London not up north, even though they are winning now.

Per some earlier remarks, I don't think that you can judge popularity merely on attendence. Juventus is widely popular (and despised) throughout Italy, and they can't give away tickets to their games.

Maybe, the sale of relplica jerseys and merchandise is an indicator?

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Newcastle, the Kits are sharp, on a side not Newcastle Ale is good too.

They just seem to be missing something though, I could Landon Donavon on this team, make em better for sure.

I like Celtic, Munich as well and AC Milan. Don't really care that much for any Spainish side. Don't care at all about any French side.

13. Garys_Osmond_Hamlet

Jan 31, 2005

Barcelona arent exactly winning though are they, 'other' seems to be the most popular at the moment, and i must admit, im warming to them myself...

14. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yeah other is winning by 1% and barca is beating real by 1% so the la liga teams seem to be very popular
    but i remember other in the intercontinental cup a few years back........now that was the team of the century IMO

EDIT: oops, i didnt see that chelsea was ahead of real......

15. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So many glory hunters around these days.........

16. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can not believe Chelsea is second among teams listed...even above Real Madrid!! How's that possible?? :confused: :confused:

17. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Its called Glory supporters steadymeister simple as that. Real Madrid are the best team in the world.

18. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Says the Bayern München fan ;)

19. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Are Real Madrid that popular outside Spain? I know they sell a lot of gear in Asia, but I have read that Barcelona are more popular in South America. Seems like the Catalans are more popular on BS as well.

Maybe Barca rank so high because they are "everybody's second favorite team"?

20. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Erm. Does that not tell you i'm not a Glory supporter then.

21. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

See. Real Madrid are the best team in the world. Simple as that.

22. Siegen

Siegen New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Boise, Idaho
    Ajax and Celtic

23. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    No, you're made of better stuff than that!

Personally, I can't root for glory teams. I'm tempermentally disinclined. I hate them... every last one of them. Manchester United, Juventus, AC Milan, Bayern München, FC Porto, Real Madrid....every team that wins title after title. Hell, I even hate Spartak Moskva (bastards!) Never seen them play, but I hate them just the same, and I'd be delighted to some day hear news of their relegation.

I just started hating Chelsea recently-- say, about last year. Not that they've actually won anything, mind you. I hate 'em just because they've attracted so many glory hunters. I'm looking forward to the day they go into administration.

24. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

See. Real Madrid are the best team in the world and Chelsea are the best team in England. If they play good football it doesnt matter. And watching good football is what its all about. I used to hate Chelsea but this season they Rock. If you appreciate football, it doesnt matter who plays it. Simple as that.

25. Garys_Osmond_Hamlet

Jan 31, 2005

That Chelsea point is a very good point Ronnie!! How the hell has that happened?? 2nd, I mean where would they have been in this sort of poll before the Abramovich take over? Most people would have put Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle ahead and thats only in England!! Shows that money really can buy pretty much every aspect of football, even support. Just where im living ive seen loads of Chelsea shirts lately, and live at least 200 miles from London! This is sick.

And maybe Barca are liked more in South America, but in England, everyone i know puts Real ahead of them, and Real are now most peoples second team outside of Spain, mainly due to Beckham, Owen, and Woodgate, although they p1ssed me off signing Gravesen, what the hell is going on there?? Real should be gratefull for this support and give Becks and Owen more appretiation. Im sure however, that when fit Woodgate will be a success...