What're your favorite European teams?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Pingudo, Nov 14, 2004.

1. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Borussia Dortmund, from the first to the last day.

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Leverkusen another popular team?

3. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Bayer Leverkusen is a company-owned team (guess what company....Bayer pharmaceutics) with next to no tradition. The city of Leverkusen lies between Cologne and Düsseldorf with team like 1.FC Köln, Fortuna Düsseldorf but also Borussia Mönchengladbach, Borussia Dortmund, VfL Bochum and FC Schlacke within 1 hours drive. So Leverkusen has few fans and few tradition. Though they sell out every match but that is mainly due to the fact that their stadium is rather small (22.500...less than Dortmund's South stand ;-) and that the company gives away a good amount of free tickets (to employees and school kids)

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, really? That's weird! Sounds more like an American sports team than a footy club. When was Leverkusen established?

5. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    TSV Bayer 04 Leverkusen -> 1904 ;-)

6. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Nope, definitely wrong. There might be a slight chance to later expand to 76.000 (expand means convert 10.000 seats into 20.000 terrace places).

That won't be enough to match San Siro, Nou Camp or Westfalenstadion.

7. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Ahhh, I see, Bayern kiddies are out playing.

Seriously only in your dreams Germany's No.1 will catch up with the big boys like Real and ManU.

8. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Haha, i never laughed so good. Only because the ex-Nr. 2 is fallen so deep it doens't mean the Nr. 1 of Germany can't keep it up with Real or MenU.

9. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    In the papers of Munich they wrote other. In the Allianz Arena the sitting supporters have more space than in each other Bundesliga-Stadium. So also there it is possible to amount the crowd. So it could rival also the Camp Nou if our Uli wants it.

10. stephen4

stephen4 New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Scotland
  11. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You'll do for me sunshine. :) :) :) :) I have always liked Scottish people. The men might be a little silly for wearing skirts. But hey ho.

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1904 is pretty old. How can they not have tradition then?

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tottenham Hotspur :D

14. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    They are a Bundesliga side since 1979 only. Have won no championship (but one UEFA cup and German cup) and are surounded by many tradition-loaded teams as I mentioned before. Plus there "plastic and pills"-image doesn't help either to create a great fanbase.

15. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Time to start reading quality papers instead of Bild Zeitung. ;-)

But you understand that 98.000 seats (Nou Camp) and 85.000 seats (San Siro) will forever and ever be more than 66.000 seats, no matter how many seats you convert? Unless Bayern add a fourth and fifth tier. ;-)

Converting 20.000 into 40.000 terrace (what surely won't happen) doesn't make the stadium any bigger.....

To all interested: The city of Munich gave permission to the new Munich stadium (http://www.allianz-arena.de) with some restrictions only.

One was that only football events are allowed to take stage (no concerts etc.) as they feared that the famous Olympiastadion and Olympiapark would lose all their events. By Bayern and 1860 moving to the new venue they already miss out on 40+ events per year making it hard to finance the whole Olympic parc.

Another one was that the capacity of the new stadium is limited to 66.000 as it is feared that the traffic around the stadium could collapse. The Allianz Arena is located at a highway crossing at the outer northern border of Munich. One of these highways is a major lifeline for the city. Plus, as the stadium is located that far outside the city centre and in fact next to a waste dump, the car-rate wil be much higher than at Olympiastadion. 10.000 underground parking lots must been build to cope with this. It is expected that there will be quite some chaos after matches.

p.s.: No better fun than going at Bayern supporters' inferiority complex regarding European big teams. In Germany No.1 by light years, there is a significant distance to Real Madrid, ManU, Milan etc. regarding international reputation.

16. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    I read the TZ not the Bild

Bayern don't have to add a new tier to amount the crowd. If they want in the Allianz Arena easly go inside 100,000 people. This never will happen the next time but it theoretically would work. But 76,000 or 86,000 isn't a fantasy. This will happen soon.

For the traffic: the highway soon will have eight spoors. So their will be no problem.

17. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    TZ, München? *rotfl*

Now I know you're kidding. In case you didn't get it, I'm talking about quality papers like Süddeutsche, not yellow press.

I heard there are plans to build a glass pitch and place seats beneath...so 100.000 isn't out of reach....

Partly correct only. It will be 8 lanes direction north but only 6 lanes direction south/city centre and that is where the problems emerge.

At all there are 2 problems. First is getting 10.000 cars simultaneously off the underground garages, second the traffic on the highway itself.

18. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think name "Sigma" comes from their sponsor...

http://www.sigma.cz/ :D

19. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    Norwich City is my team, but always look out for the results of:

Borussia Monchengladbach (lived there for three years, so have always followed them as my second team)

ADO Den Haag
    Nantes (the canaries)
    Atalanta

20. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    The traffic will be the greatest problem. But they first will see how it works and after the World Cup they want to amount the crowd. The seats in the Süd- and Nordkurve will be fixed only for the Worldcup. Then the fixed seats will be removed, so it is sure they want to amount the crowd.

21. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm planning to travel to Europe for the summer. Is there anything of interest to see in Munich?

Wow, I can't believe Barcelona is winning this thing!!

22. Laurens

Laurens New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Feyenoord!!!!
    that's my team

And I always watch the premiership, but I like all the teams of the premiership!

23. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Honestly, boss, I'm English and that is absolute bollocks, yeah. Newcastle need defenders before that statement can ever become true.....and team spirit too.

Revelian

24. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celtic, Bordueax, Fulham, and Real Betis

25. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Tis not bollox in my house sunbeam. Try saying we are sh!t in May.