whatever you do .. NO MLS !!!!

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by TheHun, Sep 17, 2006.

1. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Or, you know, the playoffs.

Spare me your snappy comeback. I was there, I saw the crowd.

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    In LA, sometimes it's 100 yards :D.

3. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gem alone is worth bumping the thread.

[​IMG]

4. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would do anything for new owners... Anything... Rochester needs a major team and MLS is the closest thing we have. Eff our owners.

5. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    i think it would be safe to avoid MLS... look at the NFL... someday the USL and MLS could merge.

6. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its safe to say that will never happen.

7. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    I have to agree with George on this one. That merger won't happen.

With all the hoopla in DC, that could work in Rochester's favor but I think new owners are needed if there was ever a chance for a MLS side in Kodak town.

8. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha I wish we were still the city of Kodak. Those were the days when Rochester was the best place to live in the country.

As far as Rochester and MLS. Not with these owners. One is being sued and the others have no money. An ownership where 4 millionaires cannot put together MLS franchise is a joke.

They are ruining soccer in Rochester. They are destroying the Rochester Rhinos name so if they wanted to sell they wouldn't be worth a dime.

MLS is still in reach, all they have to do is get new ownership. Rochester's economy is turning around unlike the rest of upstate NY. TOMMY G?

9. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally what will happen to the USL is that the MLS with pick at them until there are no quality cities to put a team in.

I can promise this will happen. It has already started with Toronto. The MLS is looking at most of the cities that actually draw some fans in the USL, with Montreal, Vancouver, Portland, Seattle and Rochester if they get there head out of their arse.

I know all those cities will be in MLS one day except for Rochester. I do not know there future and you know what if we don't go MLS I wouldn't care if they folded and the league folded. You know why? The minor league teams are only a past time but major league teams are a passion.

10. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    Rochester was great when Kodak was king. A great place to live. Too bad what happened to that company.

Donner doesn't pay his bills. How long will that continue? Who knows?

Tommy would be great but doesn't he own teams in Buffalo? Soccer won't work in Buffalo but some investors are looking at Rochester. I just think Garber thinks the TV market there is just too small. They have Salt Lake to deal with but they do well at the gate so it is workable for now.

It's good to hear about Rochester's economy and at least there's still Xerox!

11. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    It's not about cities or even markets with the MLS really. Rochester would be in tomorrow if someone wrote a $30m check today. It wouldn't even have to be someone local, just someone who believed in the market. Once they get back in the Bay Area, Philly and Detroit, everything else is gravy to Garber.

12. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Golisano is from Rochester and still lives in Rochester. Also he does so much for our community. Everything is named after him and RIT is basically thanks to him.

He only owns the Sabres only. Rumor has it that he doesn't think fondly of Donner.
    Tom, would never put a team in Buffalo. He just bought the Sabres because he is trying to save Western NY.

13. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "but some investors are looking at Rochester"

What do you mean by that?

14. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    Interesting. I wonder why he hasn't gotten involved with the Amerks or the Rhinos since neither is paying its bills. If it true about him living in Rochester then he needs to be approached ASAP. If Donner doesn't pay his bills as it appears then he should be forced to sell.

Yeah, I know he got a bad deal with the Amerks at Bloe Cross, He signed it though. His funeral.

15. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    RSG has been approached about a sale and the new group was turned down by a larger group. I know who the principals are. Not from Rochester but interested. RSG wasn't interested.

16. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh he is definately living in Rochester. He is very much Rochester pro. Right now he is taking George Eastmans place as our biggest philanthropist. He just built a house in Mendon actually.

The reason why he hasn't done anything with the amerks is because Donner wouldn't sell and that is why Thomas does not like Steve.

The Rochester sports group must go. They are killing Rochester sports.

17. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US

I'm trying to figure this out, sorry.

Does this mean that there was a smaller group interested, but then a larger group became interested, but RSG turned the larger group down?

One more question, because I'm stupid; RSG is what DuRoss and Donner (minus Economedies, who left) are calling themselves these days?

You do not mean the Rochester Sports Authority, right? Those guys are gone, right?

Thanks!

18. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

They haven't approached RSG yet. They are going to talk soon.

Yes, RSG is Donner and Co. I'm told. I don't know who the Authority is. Maybe George can fill us in on that?

And you aren't stupid. This is VERY confusing!! :)

19. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US
    Thanks, I looked it up too. RSG is what runs the 4 of the 5 main Rochester teams minus the Red Wings, which is, essentially, Donner and Co.

The Rochester Sports Authority was put in place to oversee the building of Pae Tec Park in the late '90's. And by oversee, I mean "kill the project". I do believe they are disbanded. Most likely because they were so successful they were no longer needed.

I do not know how many levels of suck it would occupy if RSG turns down an offer by anyone that had the financial ability to take the Rhinos to MLS.

20. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    I think the big supporters of the Rhinos are so upset about things that I'm sure they won't believe it could happen so it will be interesting to see reaction in town IF IT HAPPENS.

I'll post when I hear news on this site and the Rhinos forum. I shouldn't go to that forum since all I get from the Stampede people is abuse from a bunch of 20 year old know-it-alls. :rolleyes:

21. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US

Never mind the kids, there are alot more people who read that forum, but do not post.

22. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I am apart of the Stampede and it is not a friendly enviornment on that forum. The stampede runs the site and controls everything that is being said.

23. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    Which is fine but they are discouraging new people so i bet their group will shrink! ;)

Hang in there!!

24. J0nas3

J0nas3 New Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I think that their protest at the Sounders game will also discourage people. It certainly did in my case.

25. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys its the USL... Who cares...