What your Ideal TV Game Intro for MLS and US Soccer ?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by DCUdiplomat96, Jan 26, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see a better intro for mLS games Not the candid player or team rep announcing starting line ups. also a more lively theme music with harder edge like the CBS college football theme or the old pots and pans theme from NFL on CBS. any other thoughts

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have it like the Champions League coverage. Let's say the game starts at 7:45.

7:00 to 7:30 -- Something from way back when, taped. This way, if there's a live event that is scheduled to end at 7 PM, there is a bit of a buffer zone should the live event run over.

7:30 to 7:45 -- MLS Pregame. Show the starting lineups NOW so you don't ruin the game coverage by the extra graphics. Get in a few commercials, maybe grab a few comments from players (even if the comments are taped, like they'd probably have to be.)

7:45 PM -- Kickoff.

After the game, get a few comments from players, maybe have live "look-ins" at other games, and then at 10 PM, go to the next show.

3. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i never liked the entry where both teams enter the field following the ref. I rather see that for International or championship games......

i always thought of the europe coverage was too plain and not interactive or tv friendly. The camera angles for espn are really good especially from the US mexico game last yr in arizona where they showed the overhead of Donovan stealing the ball from the Mexican DeFense and faked the he Goalie for the score.

4. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Somewhat off-topic: I think both FSC and GolTV (especially the latter) could come up with far better theme music in general.

GolTV's theme has absolutely no meat to it. It's a little airy series of squiggly notes, as if somebody threw together some MIDI crap on their PC. Just terrible. I could design a better theme just sitting here with my computer and synthesizer. (Hey, maybe a project for this weekend!)

FSC's main theme (the one with the "F! S! C!" part) is OK, but could still be better. The one that really stinks is the little bassline loop they use to announce sponsors. Not only is it fragile-sounding (like the GolTV theme), they never bother to do any beat-matching, so there's this glaring rhythm stutter when the spoken-word portion comes in.

It's the little stuff like this that could make such a difference. It's SO easy to improve and could go so far in making these channels more aesthetically appealing (and professional). I really don't understand why it gets neglected.

5. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Oh, and is there any legitimate reason that "Fox Football Fone-In" has made such great strides in its camera work and set design, yet still uses that flimsy animated bus intro? If there's some sort of knowing irony to it (e.g., it's purposefully cheesy, or a wink at tradition), then I suppose it's tolerable.

But any kid who's vaguely versed in After Effects could craft a more kickass intro for that show in a single afternoon.

Maybe we should have a BigSoccer contest to create good music and graphics for these guys.

And since I seem to have completely veered this thread off-track, let me just add this final thought, in case Nick or Steve happens to encounter this thread: You guys don't need to kick in the "Fox Football Fone-In" theme music every time you display a frikking graphic. It's not only pointless, it's needlessly distracting.

6. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think ESPN needs a edgier sound for thier intro.

I would like to see a more inspiring one...

All-time favorite sports TV themes

1. College Football- CBS (military style drfum beats hell yeah)
    2. NFL(Pots and pans beat)- CBS (1980s style keyboarding worth hearing)
    3.NBA on NBC(john tesh)- NBC( Classical meets the streets)
    4. FOX NFL- FOX( too me sound like a intro to a Motion picture- priceless)
    5. TNT NBA- TNT(I beleive 1989-90, this was before NBANBC took over from CBS. at that time.
    6. MLB on fox- simlar to college football and nFL fox themes but still real nice.
    7. ESPN NHL-ESPN/ABC-(1995 I beleieve, this was good cause it fitted the LA kings Cup run.)
    others.... FOX BCS theme(20sec), EPL(2006)(visual was okay too dont need the face close ups though lol)

7. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont like in game sideline interviews, keep the field reporters ofcourse but just have them report like a narrator like they do on NFL football when somebody get injured or something like that. also they need to bring back the outdoor post game inerviews like they used to do .

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Fox Sports World had a theme it used for its South American soccer broadcasts back around 1998, and it's still used as the intro music on Fox Sports West and Fox Sports Detroit for WNBA telecasts.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LjbMVXj0F8"]YouTube - Iron Man-Black Sabbath-Lyrics Included[/ame]

That's all you really need.

10. Lisa11

Lisa11 New Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    Belarus
    Show the starting lineups NOW so you don't ruin the game coverage by the extra graphics. Get in a few commercials, maybe grab a few comments from players (even if the comments are taped, like they'd probably have to be.)

Lisa11