Review: What you think Argentina is missing?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by andres_correa26, Jan 27, 2010.

1. stephen8789

stephen8789 New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did you watch the last freindly??? Give them time, they will surprise!!;)

3. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. Tororoso

Tororoso New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Argentina needs some good coach. I think this is easy question :D

5. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bah, he did not help things right away that is for sure, but the problems started showing as early as 2007 , so not his fault entirely. On the international level it is a matter of having a mission statement , finding the players and personel that fit it and sticking to it. We are on our way, I sense it.........:)

6. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Grande papa!!!!! VAMOS ARGENTINA TODAVIA!!!!!!!!!

7. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    A few Islands about 400 miles off their east coast ?:p

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Las Malvinas! :eek:

9. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The only thing that we need is for the World Cup to start!

10. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    In the history of Argentina, they only occupied the Falklands (the original European name for those islands) for about a month. Argentina celebrates its bicentennial in two months and yet over two hundred years, they only occupied the Falklands for about a month. It's time they got over it.

As for the Albiceleste...

I was talking about this with a friend in the microcenter on el Dia de San Patricio and we both agree that Messi is absolutely worthless for the national team. His game doesn't work with them, so he really needs to play in either a 3 man front OR preferably BEHIND TWO STRIKERS.

I'm an enormous Higuaín fan because all he really does is score. (Except for the one game where he blew opportunities for Real... ONE GAME!) And when he's not scoring, he's setting up his teammates. And I also think that Milito would do well up top with him. I really think that those two would work well together with Messi behind them and maybe another distributor of the ball.

Actually, Tevez has often played an AM for City this year and he would probably look pretty good behind Higuaín & Milito. In fact, I'd prefer to start Messi on the bench, but people would probably revolt if that were to happen. But I honestly think that it would be the best thing for the team. He just doesn't fit into Argentina's game.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yeah Pipita missed two nice chances in the most important game of our season. I disagree with those asking for his head, though.

Messi plays better when he comes from behind, so he can be a deep striker (second striker) or wide forward. In Barça he plays RF or RWF, but of late he's played in a more central role behind the striker (Henry or Milito vs. Stuttgart).

The initial formation in that game was 4-2-3-1, with Busquets and Touré containing, Pedro taking the usual Messi position on the right, and Iniesta playing more withdrawn on the left. Messi was behind Henry, but in attack he moved to the left and Iniesta acted as the distributor.

Very effective, and that`s the key to his success in Barça: Iniesta and Xavi allow for mobility. Since Argentina lacks Riquelme, no one has been doing that. Until now, that Veròn and Pastore can do that, or Banega from a more withdrawn position.

In fact I think Messi could work fine with a deep-lying playmaker (like Banega, or Veròn, who's versatile). A 4-3-3 would be ideal for that, with Higuain and DiMaria attacking and Masche, Banega (or Veròn) and Bolatti, or Jonàs, or even Pastore as the other option.

The formation against Germany also worked fine, with Masche alone in contention and DiMaria and Jonàs on the sides, Veròn in the central hole and two forwards (one of which doesn`t have to be Messi).

I see Tévez as a supersub.

12. GolDeLetra

GolDeLetra New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Argentina is missing Riquelme. Even at 31 (?), he is still one of the best holding midfielders in the world. He is a player who can control the tempo of the game, which is something extremely important in world cups. Veron is also good in this role, but not as good as Riquelme. Even without Riquelme Argentina should be a really hard team to beat in this cup.

13. Eyalella

Eyalella New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Israel
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    argentina is missing the play maker.
    now that the coatch he's maradona-there is no coatch, the team needs
    acoatch on the filed.
    this guy is juan roman riquelme, the best playmaker the south american football have ever knows.
    the classic no.10 needs to come back soon the afa.

14. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They need to work on their fitness, because it really sucks. Maradona is not the type of coach to instill that work ethic or behaviour. It should be mandatory for all players to be at a peak level.

15. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ...the 2010 World Cup

16. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you lot want to discuss politics , do it somewhere else, keep posts here futbol related please, besides do more research and get facts straight as well otherwise like the saying goes "opinions are like arseholes, everyone has got one " .:rolleyes:

17. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    WHAT:eek::eek:??? Where did you get this from? Diego in his comeback for 1994 worked his arse off and his entire playing career he worked hard to get into peak shape for the Copas.
    You will see that the 3 weeks together before the WC will do this team wonders and they will surprise in July!!

18. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree, close thread

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes Maradona will make these kids work and work and work to get into the right shape, both physically and mentally. The only thing that needs to happen now is how to integrate Messi into this team.

I'm seriously thinking that Messi might have to come in as a Sub. This might help out in that the pressure will be off him and now he can shine.

20. YooAhJin

YooAhJin Member

Aug 30, 2008
    From his recent performances, im in agreement that this team needs to be built around Messi, surrounding him with patient playmakers in the midfield, hardworking forwards, and a attacking wingback, a replica of his club, except slightly more physical defenses. This can definitely turn the team around in time for the WC, at the same time im only dreaming because i don't think Maradona will be reading this post, not to mention Barcelona is too unique of a team to be duplicated with a limited player pool.

21. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    a Younger Veron (El viejo Veron Even Better!!) and a taller strong type of foward would be nice. Higuain, Tevez and Aguero even messi if he plays like a foward are all kind of small

22. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nah, I think only a few tweaks are needed in order to have more players circulating in the attacking third.
    I do think a 4-3-3 formation would help with two CM's like Veron and Banega and then Mascherano the deep DM, then having DiMaria the left wing forward, Higuain the striker, and Messi starting as the right winger but given a free role. Jonas could still be utilised as perhaps a right back?? I think only this system will Messi be given the freedom of movement in the attacking third he so craves.

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying but these tweaks are going to take 3 weeks to a month to work out. I have confidence in our boys to get this working together.

I wouldn't mind this formation at all but how would we get Banega on the team? lol Who would you put in place of Banega that is presently with the squad? Bolatti? Pastore? Anyone else?

24. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good question, I would have Bolatti as a back up only and move in Pastore actually.;)

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pastore is an attacking option. Banega does best as deep-lying playmaker. Banega plays mainly central midfield with Valencia. Pastore plays as attacking mid, central or left, and as forward, support striker with Palermo.

I don't see them as interchangeable at all. Both are good at passing, but with the many options as forwards, I see Banega as a must and Pastore as an off-the-bench option.

I hope Diego is smart enough to include both with the 23 though.