what you favor more an allrounder or a specific player

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by tony-soprano37, Oct 25, 2013.

1. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    examples of a real specific player are jimmy johnstone and garincha, dragan dzajic. typical right- or leftwingers with not a large goal/game ratio for example. they are the typical wingers who cut through defenders liek a knife through butter and love to dribble and have the ball glued to their feet.

this in contrary to say a johnny rep, robbie rensenbrink, jairzinho who where far more all roudn and versatile.

or take a bergomi, thuram, vogts type of defender and compare them with players liek krol, kaltz or fachetti ..

as a spectatator i love the actiosn of the real wizzardlike wingers but as a coach if i had the option i rather play with the more versatiel and allround type of player.
    much more usefull to the team imo.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    In general you're right ...
    But Krol was surely among the very very complete DF of all time! Krol could play as fullback (both sides) and he could also play great as libero, sweeper ... Fachetti , Cafu Carlos were more "specific fullback" while Thuram, Maldini, Krol, Carlos Alberto, N. Santos, Gentille. Bergomi, Scirea, and lately Zanetti ... all were much "all rounder" DF ...

3. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ok but thats exactly what i ment.

thats the qeustion

do you prefer a certain player who is a very specific leftwinger, leftback or whatever or do you prefer for that position a player who is maybe a tad less good as a leftback or leftwinger or whatever but is way more allround and complete.

personally i think garincha is a betetr rigthwinger then say johnny rep or jairzinho. but i would always prefer the latter 2 in my team for being more complete and allround.
    matthews and johnstone 2 very great rightwingers but if i where to make an all tiem british team i would take either best or finney both more complete and allround.

so that was my question wich do you prefer in a team ?

so would you pefer a team with very specific players.. for example leftwing : dragan dzajic, striker : gerd muller, playmaker : platini, rightwinger : garincha.
    or soem more compelte players like : leftwinger : rensenbrink, striker : van basten, playmaker : van hanegem, rightwinger : jairzinho
    this exampel is nto abotu who is/was betetr but simply to make clear what i mean. platini the betetr pure playmaker then van hanegem ofcourse but van hanegem a way way more complete player.
    same as them other names.

like i said earlier i prefer the more complete players. i alwasy think that players like ruud krol, paul breitner, johan neeskens, willem van hamegem, mario coluna are way more valuable to a team then players who are really good in a certain position (even betetr then previous mentioned players) but lack many other abilities

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well it's a YES and NO question ,,, meaning "it depends"

1- In general, I got your point to have "preferred " a more all rounded player than a more specific - and again, IT DEPENDS on your tactics and strategy that utilize them to their "best ability".

2- Now, since you mentioned "particularly" a Garrincha vs Jairzinho and ... Johny Rep(@!@) my 2 cents:

Firstly I would NEVER put a Rep in same line with a Garrincha and even a Jairzinho - totally one class above or even more. Johny Rep was just a very good FW in the mould of a Di Maria or a Nasri or a T.Muller at present ... Not even close to CR7, Neymar ... so forget about Garrincha or Jaizinho.

Lastly, (again) it's a yes and no to say Garrincha was (just) a great winger! Yes, if one based on the fact that he spent most his life there (>400games) but NO, many also did not have a good info/knowledge of Garrincha!

Garrincha was a "very very complete" player in EVERY SENSE! (probably less than a Pele, Di Stefano or Cruijff) but he was no less complete than say Maradona or say Platini, Zico ...
    =================================================

Now let's roll back the years and see why Garrincha becoming a winger!

Garrincha was a poor boy (a kinda crippled boy at time) in a poor family in a poor village.
    for such scenario, his family (his dad) looked down pretty much on him and NEVER wanted him to be near the ball and playing around with other boys - but work to earn money!

So with a "gifted" talent (fallen from the sky to his one and half leg boy) Garrincha quicky was spotted out and brought to a local club. There, the coach immediately put him as an "INSIDE FORWARD" a la Pele/Puskas/Di stefano (as the KEY or playmaker of the team) ... but Garrincha REFUSED and preferred to play on the far "right side" = for he was so scared that His dad one day might show up and watch the game (where his village side are seated on the opposite) so to play on far right (from his village side) he hopes his dad might not recognize him (as a player there)

Hence the "LEGEND of the best WINGER" begun! If not for his fearsome, Garrincha would become another Pele/Di stefano easily = for he got ALL SKILLS - shooting, passing, crossing, dribbling , setpieces, and some visions!

I can tell you ONE GARRINCHA would cover more than TWICE a Rep can do on pitch and 1.5 of a Jaizinho could do!