What you can do to help!

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by Wallydrag, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read this thread first and then email these people.

Convey to them not only why soccer will work here and why you'll support it but also (especially to the Express Sports guys) the fact that Salt Lake City, a city very similar to OKC, was able to put up the money and get a team. If they can do it, so can we and we should!

Brad Lund - CEO Express Sports - blund@okcblazers.com

DeBray Ayala - VP Sales & Market, soccer guy - dayala@okcblazers.com

UCO Pres Roger Webb - Webb@ucok.edu

If you would please, post here a copy of the email you sent and also any replies you might recieve. Thanks.

2. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the email I wrote to Brad Lund, CEO of Express Sports today 8-20-04:

Mr. Lund,

I’m wondering if Express Sports will ever re-take up the torch in trying to bring a Major League Soccer expansion team to Oklahoma. If your organization with Bob Funk came to MLS with the money for an expansion team, and with you having a facility ready to be built at UCO, then I’m confident that Oklahoma would easily get a team in the next round of MLS expansion (either 2006 or 2007). David Checketts, a very well respected and successful man in the sports industry, managed to put together an investor group and bring an expansion franchise to Salt Lake City, a city I might add that is very similar to OKC in many key demographic areas. And they already have the Utah Jazz. If Salt Lake City can do it, why can’t the OKC metro?

I’m sure you’ve heard all this information before, but by this next round of expansion half of all MLS teams will be playing in their own venues and bring in all the ancillary money that playing in your own building provides. Both the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA will be playing in the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA. FC Dallas (formerly Dallas Burn) will be playing at the Frisco Soccer & Entertainment Center in Frisco, TX. The Columbus Crew playing in Columbus Crew stadium. The Chicago Fire will be in their new stadium in Bridgeview, IL and the Metrostars will be playing in a new stadium in Harrison, NJ.; six stadiums where soccer is the primary tenant. Should Oklahoma come in to MLS then that would make at least seven with a possible eighth in the other expansion team that round.

You were quoted in today’s Journal Record (8-20-04) from “The Business of Sports” luncheon yesterday as saying: “’Exhibition games are a good way to find out if enough interest exists among the community to support a major league team’, said Lund, noting that a National Hockey League exhibition game held last year was very poorly attended.” Well, the first MLS exhibition game for Oklahoma that Express Sports ran I believe, as well as almost everyone else, was a success. It was just shy of selling out on a blisteringly cold and brutal night between two teams that had no local connections. The seats were priced at normal MLS tickets prices and not only did the people come out into these horrid conditions but they stayed through the entire game yelling and cheering. Then a year later, with very little advance notice and minimal promotion (no one I ever talked to ever saw an ad for this game), on Easter weekend and another significantly cold day that was also wet with constant drizzle and high winds, 7,000 people came out, again paying normal ticket prices and again to see the scrubs from two teams no one really cared about play. I think the people have spoken and the support is there. With a local team with local connections and the heart of the area behind them, with going into the youth soccer leagues and working with them to promote the game and drawing in soccer fans from across the state (especially Tulsa), Major League Soccer in the OKC metro would draw very good crowds and be successful. Not to mention the national exposure that MLS provides to the cities and states that their teams are in through games on TV and through the print media. The opportunity to have players that may get called up to the National Men’s Team and been seen playing in the World Cup competitions.

I’m sure you also know that there’s a significant number of soccer players in the metro and state and while this doesn’t automatically turn into gate receipts, Express Sports is outstanding at marketing their product and making it part of the community. Look at the success of the Blazers for all these years. Express Sports knows how to run a professional sports organization. I can only imagine the success they’d have running the only major league sports franchise in the state; another advantage and reason for probable success.

Myself and many, many other hope that Express Sports picks up where they left off in trying to attract a Major League Soccer franchise to the OKC metro. Bob Funk has always said if he could help bring a major league professional sports team to Oklahoma and OKC, he would. Major League Soccer is the best chance we have of getting a major pro team any time soon and it has all the potential of being a big success. And again, I keep returning to this same question: If Salt Lake City can do it, why can’t we?
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Please! We need more people to write Brad Lund and the other people at the top of this page. It'll only take a few minutes of your time and the more voices the better!

Thanks! And again, please post your email and any response you might get here.

3. OKCmetalhead

OKCmetalhead New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    hey, i like the e-mail...you know your information. i really hope we get a team and it doesnt take the same route the proposed OKC NHL team went, where as when things startred to look grim it's seems like we just gave up. but all the same. I read on newsok.com today that Brad Lund is going to be releasing some "major blazer's news" at the state capitol on august 26th. Any idea as to what this might be?

4. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows. Either they're moving up to AAA or they're buying the whole damn CHL.

5. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has anyone other than me written any of these guys?

6. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They changed their colors and logo. That's all.

7. OKCmetalhead

OKCmetalhead New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    wow what a let down.

8. Brilliant Orange

Brilliant Orange New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    TX
    Wallydrag, I e-mailed Brad Lund about persuing a soccer franchise in OKlahoma. He kindly replied and stated the risk involved in ownership is very high and things at the moment appear to be a long shot. Here is his message in full:

Thanks for your comments.

I agree, I would personally love to see a team in our state.

Unfortunately the risk involved in an ownership group is very high. Express
    Sports is committed to continue following the business side of the MLS and
    growth of soccer in the United States.

At this time it is likely a long shot, but keep you fingers crossed.

9. Mith242

Mith242 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Fayetteville, Ark
    Guess I was a little surprised at first to see it was OKC and not Tulsa. I know Tulsa has had pro soccer before. Although I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some other teams in this region. Although Tulsa is closer to me. :)

10. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just hope that next year after SLC and Chivas USA come into the league that the economics will look very good and that's enough. We'll have to see (or guestimate) how MLS did this season when it's over then try and predict how it'll do next year with new teams and the benifits from SSS.

11. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Brad Lund makes a good point. But unfortunately, OKC is caught between a rock and a hard place. If Express Sports goes after a team now, then they're taking a financial risk and it sounds like they probably don't have Anschutz-esque money to bail themselves out. But if they wait until MLS is a profitable concern, then there's going to be a lot of bigger cities asking for teams and OKC will probably get lost in the shuffle. I don't know the answer.

12. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what would be the best idea is for Express Sports to purchase an "option" to buy a team later, like Salt Lake City did.

13. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    If I remember right, that was a non-refunadable $1 million. Can they afford it?

14. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the guy that owns Express Sports is a billionaire so I think they might could manage.