What would your reaction be if Portugal somehow won?

Discussion in 'Group B - Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal' started by ---Z---, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yup, having world class players is essential. Had Greece in 2004 not had have the world footballers of year caliber players such as, Karagounis, Fyssas, Seitaredis and Nikopolidis, they would of gotten smashed in group stage.

2. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Do you think Portugal can put up the collective defensive performance that Greece did???
    And also let's be serious, in football "today", no team in my opinion can win the euros or worldcup by accepting to be dominated in every single game and just hoping to score one goal by counter attack.
    And sorry but when you're in the same group as thr current German and Dutch sides, having few world class players can be extremely useful.

3. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Last time i checked, Arbeloa (who i don't really rate by the way) was Spanish and Marcelo, Brazilian. Coentrao barely starts as LB for Madrid and let's be real, he's not very good either.
    As for Meireles, he's not a player who can take his game and his team's game to another dimension when the rest of the team isn't really in great form, so he's just an average player imo.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    [​IMG]

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I wouldn't want Portugal to put a defensive performance like Greece because it wouldn't work for us. Look at the last world cup. Our idiot coach thought he was the second coming of Herrara and tried this defensive tactic and got us beat by Spain 1-0 in a game where Spain struggled vs the few attacks that Hugo Almeida had. :mad: Casillas was very shaky that game and we had 6 Centre backs.

2004 isn't much different from today. Catenaccio style might not win but you don't need superstars.

Great coaches can get the best out of average players in big tournaments.

6. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    imo Spain would have scored more if Portugal had tried to attack more in that game, Spain struggled to score goals in that match and in other matches because the other teams always put 10 men behind the ball against them (and hope to counter attack them), and Spain didn't have Messi in their team to help unlock those defences.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Spain had their chances to score since our coach thought it was a great idea to use Ricardo Costa (a mediocre CB) as our Right back. A pylon would of been more beneficial to Portugal that day and gave spain a free reign to rape him and create lots of chances from that flank thus leading to the David Villa winner. Not doubting that Spain would still win had we attacked more but Casillas looked very shaky that day, I'm sure we could of had a couple of goals if we had more that 3 attacking players.

8. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Im not doubting Portugal at all, for me they have just as much chance to go through as Germany and Netherlands. I dont see why people under rate Portugal, or the Portugese underrate themselves, they have the players to win, all you need is a bit of luck.
    Goodluck Portugal!

Joelzinho and LovingPortugal repped this.
  9. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    You really think that the Portuguese team is as good as that of Holland and Germany on paper? :confused:

10. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    That doesn't really matter in the short format of the euros that much. I wouldn't be that surprised if Portugal and Denmark advance out of group B. All it takes is a win and a draw to get out of this group.

11. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yeah, its a few games not a long tournament.
    Portugal do have good players, they have one of the best players in the world in CR. With a bit luck, Portugal can do wonders. I dont see why people are making them look so bad lol....

12. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Atimes it doesn't matter, but we're talking of teams like Holland and Germany who are not only individually better, but have also been playing together for long now. and most of these players are used to playing big matches and competitions, so i don't see them just collapsing mentally in the short format of the euros.

13. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    You know, I've been surprised that generally people have been quite friendly with each others here. Other than occasional tongue in cheek comment, I've been enjoying the harmony in this forum...but you...

Let's see why you're rubbing on ignorance or pure trolling:

- "playing together for long"

- "most of these players are used to playing big matches and competitions"

According to you, most of the portuguese and danish players play in amateur leagues and aren't used to the big european stage. Their roster is radically different from previous tournaments as well.

You tried hard. I congratulate you for that. But in the name of love, stop it.

14. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Do you even know what trolling is???
    According to many, Holland and Germany are clear favourites (not only from this group,but to win the competition,along with Spain), but i guess they're all trolls too (be it on the internet or else where) right??? Or maybe People just believe that they have better teams individually and as a team (atleast on paper and judging by their performances the last 2-3 years)???
    And according to the bold part, you're basically also saying that the Portugal and Denmark teams might lack chemistry since their roster is "radically different" from previous tournaments.

I'll like for the Portuguese or the Danish team to prove to me and other doubters that we were all wrong to have counted them out though.

15. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    ...you have an otherworldly logic that I can't no longer keep up with.

Let's add to the list of your argumentation:

- Others have said that it is, therefore they must be right.

You are fairly amusing. I was wrong about you being a troll, it was the first after all.

Please continue.

16. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    no one can deny that germany and holland have played in bigger games in the last 4 years than portugal have.

17. rafal89

rafal89 New Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Club:
    Wisla Kraków SSA
    Portugal need to stop falling and crying......Portugal are soft and want to gain fouls......

18. Mr X

Mr X Member

Denmark
    Jun 6, 2012
    I could see Portugal win it all. They are a funny team though that at one point completely destroy their opponent and at another point experience a total melt down. If they can stay focused I think most teams will have a fair amount of trouble stopping their attack. And I agree that Portugal probably benefits from the short format.

19. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you a hint: I expect Denmark to do better than Portugal... That being said, it's not impossible for them to get out of this group alive. I'm excited to see!

20. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    On paper didn't mean **** all this time, did it?

21. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I believe he was talking about toilet paper

puyol repped this.
  22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    On paper we are not as good as Germany, I admit, but I don't know why people rate us below Netherlands? Our entire defence is better except Joao Perreira (Van Der Wiel), our wingers are much better, and I rate Meireles higher than De Jong or Van Bommel.

So that leaves your starting 11 with a better RB (Van Der Wiel, a better CAM(Sneijder), and ST(Van Persie), but not much else.

I knew Van Persie was going to have a rough tournament because he struggles against physical big defenders, and he did struggle today, he was practically invisible.

23. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He doesn't struggle against them in the Premiership, which is the most physical league in the world with probably the biggest and roughest defenders in Europe.

It's more likely fatigue and a team that doesn't play as a team or provide him with much service.

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mmmm, good point. But to be fair, he has had 1 good season. I still think he struggles with strong defenders.

25. eliostar1

eliostar1 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Yeah Holland have much better players.