What would you like in a new stadium?, v. 7.0

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by falvo, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That would probably double the cost in most cases.

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah! Shit! You're right. FO will have to hand out raincoats.
    RoTFLMAO!!!

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Lew is toying with us; like the father that doesn't want to tell his kid that he's getting him a Daisy Red Ryder Pump-action Western Carbine Air Rifle for Christmas.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it would. We'd start getting into MLB park price ranges if we put a roof on a SSS that retracted.

As for RBA, I'm not sure I like their roof after seeing how claustrophobic it seems even no while still open to the elements. I know it'll enhance sound and is "traditional" but I'm back to feeling it's unneeded. Particularly after sitting out on a beautiful California afternoon last weekend enjoying the game under the open sky. Maybe a Rio Tinto style roof really is enough if we do get a roof.

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. If it were always that pleasantly mild. However, I've been at Spartan for 1 o'clock games in the middle of July and August wishing I'd brought a huge sunshade.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but by the same token there will be games in March and April if we had a roof like RBA where we'd all be shitting in the shade with a stiff breeze blowing (remember it will be near the airport which was built there because of the wind benefits), freezing our asses off while the players are out in the sunshine.

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell Goodsport we'll have to be equipped with those space heaters like they use at the Brit and other outside restaurant facilities. ;)

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, David Alioto seems to too.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want that to be the case, but I'm not so sure that it is. :(

On the other hand, if John Fisher is still pushing for his version of The Epicenter (i.e. our own version of Red Bull Arena), or even if he and Wolff simply come to a compromise version between the two that'd likely yield us an average modern MLS SSS such as Rio Tinto Stadium or Toyota Park, then I'd truly have something to be excited about regarding The Ep again! [​IMG]

-G

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No way! To plug up a hole? :confused: If that is in fact the case, why can't they use just that Vancouver parachute? How much could that cost?

11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Our new stadium is going to be a cheap-ass piece of shit.

What do I want in a new stadium? Owners who deeply value and respect our sport and the San Jose Earthquakes.

12. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't the roof on Red Bull Part create strange annoying shadows all over the field on sunny days?

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You think? Maybe Lowes can donate the materials?

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull Arena's roof will be translucent, so the sky will still be able to be seen while all the benefits of having a roof will remain intact.

-G

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the stadium's currently-reported budget and permanent seat capacity, as well the current MLS SSS that Lew Wolff stated it would mostly be modeled after, I honestly can't disagree with you at all regarding the stadium. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's doubtful, considering that the roof will be translucent. Perhaps the outlines will show, but there won't be entire swaths of the field covered in shadow.

Then again, they could solve the problem almost completely by scheduling mostly evening home games - problem solved for the most part. ;)

-G

17. Blackball

Blackball Member

May 23, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The two most important things are
    1) the Earthquakes never move
    2) MLS moves the Houston Dynamore for failing to get a stadium built

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I'm picturing a dumpy version of the butt ugly columbus stadium. Let's face it, whether it's players or future stadiums, our front office is cheap and there's no getting around that. :(

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is our front office cheap? You do realize the stadium they're building will at minimum cost them 100 million dollars right (because yes you do have to factor in the cost of the land it sits on since we're not being given a handout by the city like most teams)? Columbus only paid 28 for theirs. And as for spending money on players, we're near the salary cap limit if I'm not mistaken. They couldn't spend much more if they wanted to in this league or have you forgotten about the salary cap.

Look I'm all for complaining where complaints are due, but to say a group that's our owners are cheap is just WAY off base. You want cheap owners go look to New England or any of these other douchebags that have built their stadiums completely or partially with public money.

20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    If you have to ask you haven't been paying attention.

21. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Have you been paying attention to global finance?

22. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    How many of those expensive stadia got built without any direct public incentive or funding. basically all of them received generous tax incentives or direct funding from public coffers by the local governments because those local governments realized how much of a boon to the local economy the stadia provide. And don't act like the land deal for the Airport West site counts at all. Lew and crew is paying a fair market price for the land.

I bet that the amount of private funding (minus any tax incentives) that went into any of the SSS's in the league would not be exceptionally more than what the FO is committing to our project.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed ur post. Think u had it backward...

24. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    yeah, I think I meant to say "would not be exceptionally more." It could be more, but nothing near the full cost of the stadia

25. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA requires (PDF) that fans be kept 6 meters away from the touchline, and 7.5 meters away from the endline, of any newly constructed stadium.

The Philly stadium is being built to conform to this minimum distance, and any San Jose stadium will have the same dimensions. So you'll be just as "far from the action" as we will be.