What would you like in a new stadium?, v. 7.0

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by falvo, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I'd like to see new ownership. Ambitious about MLS and the San Jose Earthquakes.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you expect to find them where? And you expect a stadium to get built how?

Right now we've got an ownership group that's dedicated to the game and to our city so much so that they're building a privately financed stadium. They're having trouble on field, but that doesn't mean they're a bad ownership group.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wonder how and why the Seattle Sounders have such a great ownership group in their first year????? Even though our Quakes beat them 4-0, that score doesn't make me (as the ownership group likes to say) "remain upbeat"!:rolleyes:

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they had a two year run up from the moment they were granted the team until day 1, and even more time before they were granted the team to prepare (not including the fact half their ownership group also owned the USL team before that). And by comparison our ownership group has actually been at this less time than they have. And our owners didn't have a ready made newer soccer capable stadium like Qwest lying around.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Qwest has field turf. As much as everyone has complained about Buck Shaw's pitch as of late, its still much much better than that plastic crap! As far as their owners owining the USL team before, its not even a relevant argument. They averaged not even 1000 fans a match in the USL and they have maybe 1 starter from that team along with a few bench warmers and an assistant coach......their USL precendent should mean a lot more but as far as the soccer playing and soccer players on the pitch, it all means and meant nothing.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were insinuating their owners were better than ours. I was just trying to explain why they might be more successful right now not necessarily better.

As for Qwest having field turf, yes it does, but other than that it's a vastly superior venue to any venue in the Bay Area (if not all of California).

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

:)

;)

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because they have a ********ing NFL franchise in their city...

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What does that mean? kC , Dallas and NY had one also but they are still drawing crap games and NY has had 2 NFL teams and have stunk on and off the pitch (only exception last year) since 96..............

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo, it was 3 things. 2+ years of run up to the first game, for a new team, and a ready built downtown stadium that is great for soccer (other than the fake grass). It's the same formula that made Toronto successful as well.

Unfortunately SJ has no downtown stadium. We didn't have 2+ years, we had 6 months run up. And we're not a new team, we're like trying to plant a crop in tainted soil. Considering those factors, we're doing just fine off field. Now if we could just turn it around on field.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hear so much of what a strong front office does on the pitch, but I don't believe this......We need strong and good players on the pitch.

Interestingly, I see no gridiron lines during the Sounders-Chivas match @ Qwest......

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with need strong and good players on the pitch, but the player side of a FO acquires those strong players ;)

And no Chivas/Sounders isn't what was being referred to. Did you see any highlights of the Revs/RB game?

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are you seriously deflecting the notion that the common ownership has benefited the Sounders significantly? They get a shiny, new, tax-payer-funded facility and don't have to compete in marketing against an NFL team, instead getting promotional tie-ins. Our ownership brethren have such weak support that they're looking to move. Plus, they play in a different city with a venue we hate sharing.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Possibly indirectly, you may have a point. Seriously though, that really has nothing to do with how the players perform or even giving up a pk in the final 30 seconds of injury time......the bottom line is we have crap talent.......you can argue that the people atr the top should be the ones to recognize and spot talented players, but everyone is on the same page and our players are crap! Is this the front office fault or is it the fault of the players or whom?

Qwest stadium under construction in 2001

[​IMG]

15. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seattle isn't that far above the Quakes. They had a better start and are still just hanging on. SJ pummeled them 4-0 and the Sounders are currently tied in points with that abortion of a team we saw last night. Color me unimpressed.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So we beat them big deal. They 2nd and playoff bound and we are out of it.......

Houston
    Seattle
    Los Angeles
    Colorado
    Chivas USA
    Real Salt Lake
    FC Dallas
    San Jose

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is being closed. It's over 500, not really on topic at present, and we can have a staidum plans based stadium discussion starting shortly.