what would a usa word cup celebration look like?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by keeper1031, Jul 3, 2008.

1. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was just watching a video of spain celebrating their euro cup with a bus through the city.

now if (and i know its a MASSIVE if) the usa were to win at SA 2010 what do you think we would do for the team when the got back? Bus through new york? trip through the whole country? nothing?

speculate away

2. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's to say because the country is so decentralized. as far as an organized event you're probably right about it being in NY or DC. For the actual aftermath i think there would be some pretty cool riots going on in major cities around the country. Probably larger than most people would expect if it happened in '10 or '14.

This a good reminder of why we all support the national team. and for all you people moaning about people criticizing coaching and tactics get a clue. It's all about winning. just thinking about that one day when we win the world cup should send chills down any US fan's spine. I don't want to waste another chance. They only come around once every four years. All I ask for is for the entire setup to give its best shot in representing our country, right now it doesn't look like we're moving in that direction however with crap favoritism, selections, and tactics.

3. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would involve a bunch of talking heads from the sports media telling us how boring soccer is, and how its not an accomplishment worth celebrating.:D

4. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would riot. Burn cars. Smash windows. Eh.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be about 20 Bigsoccer guys at a bar still wearing "fire bob bradley" t-shirts.

7. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remeber this is Bigsoccer, those 20 guys would want to make Bob king and they would swear that they were on his side all the way.
    i.e. Freddy Adu, Donovan

8. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I'm fairly certain the celebration would be non-existent in most of the US. Many Americans barely even know we have a men's team or what soccer is.

9. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't support individuals--we support the national team. Yes, this may be news for some of you novices to the game, but you're still a fan even if you disagree with the coach and believe that some players are better than others.

I will gladly eat it if Bob proves the majority wrong.

10. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there would be large celebrations throughout country, no massive one though. Unless the Cup was held in the U.S. then the host city would have a massive celebration.

11. BronzeArt

BronzeArt Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Rocky Top
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA! Too funny. Props.

USA World cup celebration... Hmm... There would be a few of us crazies celebrating, of course, and I bet a ton of first-generation Americans would be partying in the streets, and the media would struggle to figure it out, but on the whole, I think it would be a lot smaller than anywhere else.

12. Diora Maria

Diora Maria Member

Jul 2, 2002
    I agree. There will be some celebrations in cities. Some sport casters would show some celebrations on the local news. It would be nice if(when) they win that therew would be a celebration in DC.

13. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be sort of fun if there were no mass celebrations. Prolly drive the Euros nuts, which is a serious plus. ;)

14. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    A FEATURE IN THE DISNEYLAND PARADE!! haha

15. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely disagree actually. While obviously on a regular basis the majority doesn't care...if the US was ever to make that really big run and take it all, I think the country would truly get behind the team and there would be a big celebration in either Chicago, New York or Los Angeles.

16. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    I agree. The US doesn't really have a major national sports team to follow. Basketball is 1. too easy and 2. not that big (hold the jokes about past years, if we win it is more like yah, ok they were supposed to do that). By the semi's people would really be into it. If we were to win that and the final, they would be legendary upsets. Absolutely groundbreaking. I think if we beat the world at their game, it would really ignite a flame. I don't know about full scale riots, but it would easily be the sports story of the year, and there would be a lot of celebrating. I think it would ignite a rare spat of national pride, which people desperately want.

Now I have to stop, I shouldn't even let myself imagine this possibility for two decades.

17. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will look like every other ticker tape parade up Broadway through the canyon of heroes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jonspider

jonspider Member

Mar 9, 2005
    South Carolina
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I would be right by your side my friend haha

20. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    Yeah, I gotta agree. Every year, more people who used to be indifferent to soccer are now at least casual fans. Likewise, some people who used to be soccer haters are now indifferent.

At the end of the day, Americans love winners. The Dallas Cowboys became "America's team" because of this. But even more than that, we love underdogs. Ice hockey wasn't exactly a huge deal in the US in 1984, but everyone supported the Olympic team when they beat the Soviet Union in the semifinals.

In sport, whenever there's an inkling of success, you start to see some form of patriotism take over.

Just think about how much media attention the USWNT got in 1999, even though a lot of people had biases not only against soccer, but also against women's sports in general.

Or think about how much media attention the USMNT got in 2002, when they went on a run. Every late night talk show wanted to get the team on the air. People who had never watched a soccer game in their lives were all of a sudden getting up at 3 am to watch us play. I remember a friend of mine who isn't a fan called the night before the Mexico game, and asked if i knew of any cool places to watch the game. He met some of my friends, and a lot of "new friends" at a bar, and said "I'm not really into soccer, but this whole thing is just too cool." That was before the game. By the end of the game, you'd have thought he'd been following the team for ages.

If we were to win, it wouldn't have a lasting impression of "finally launching soccer into the mainstream consciousness" long term. But the initial reaction would be quite large.

21. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a word cup celebration like the title says? That would look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ep8KOR284

A world cup celebration? Mine would be quite cool in my basement. Considering I'm like one of several hundred people in my county who would care, if I yelled loud enough we could all hear each other.

22. nickknx865

nickknx865 New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Knoxville, Tennessee
  23. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, essentially what you're saying is that after the US men theoretically win the World Cup, the mainstream press and mainstream America would go back to ignoring us after the initial celebration, like they usually do?

25. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis

Well, not entirely. I think that with each success, we generally see an initial wave of increased interest from the mainstream press, and that dies (sometimes in an instant, sometimes more gradually), and when it's gone, we're left with an incremental increase overall. I would expect essentially the same. Perhaps the incremental increase would be larger than it has in the past, and perhaps the initial wave would last a bit longer. But in general, it would help the slow and mostly steady progress.