What Would a Fall to Spring Schedule w/ a winter Break Look Like?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Udosean, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Udosean

Udosean Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Had a "Eurosnob" ask me this question on Friday. Following his well deserved bi@!h slap I actually decided to post his question. I know its been done to death so feel free to slam the door on this thread if need be. How would one, hypothetically, fit a 34 game schedule including a Jan-Feb break and short summer break into the calendar from July/August to May? Pretty sure its impossible, but maybe there are some calendar wizards out there.

It is also going to be EXTREMELY interesting to see the European calendar shift to our calendar around the 2022 WC, given that it looks as if its staying put.

Thoughts?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the first regular season weekend to MLS Cup, MLS used 40 weekends in 2014. That includes this weekend when the playoffs are off (which would be during the regular season if MLS played Fall to Spring) and the World Cup break (which would be during the offseason if MLS played Fall to Spring). Let's say MLS needs 38 weekends and there are 52 available, meaning that 14 don't have to be used. If the winter break is 8 weeks or long, it will be longer than the Summer offseason break. U.S. Open Cup games would need to be played during the Summer offseason break.

You could read http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-2017-2018-mls-ybtd-schedule-challenge.2000815/

henryo and chapka repped this.
  3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Don't follow the lead of shitty Euro leagues. But if we were to switch, don't stop the league for internal dates. Let the teams that buy big name players have to play with depth. No reason to give the big spenders an extra advantage.

******** the EPL.

#HauptmanOut

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Pretty straight forward ... 9 month season with January and February off and the summer break would shift around depending on what summer tournament or tournaments we're attempting to avoid (World Cup, Gold Cup, Youth World Cup, Confederation Cup, Olympics). We're not going to avoid 100% of all those tournaments perfectly but I think a 5 week summer break gets us pretty close

One positive step I think would be to go down to 32 games to alleviate some congestion. I'd also consider pretty much having an automatic midweek round for all clubs in any week where there isn't CL, US Open cup or FIFA dates scheduled. The biggest obstacle would be getting people on board with a handful of more cold weather weeks on the schedule ... especially December. The late winter/spring kick off would stay more or less the same as it is now.

The benefits would be that we would run parallel to CL which would avoid this weird 1 year lag between qualifying and actually playing. We would be better positioned to avoid conflicts with USMNT and CONCACAF dates in general. We would pull our playoffs out from under the shadow of football and into a much more favorable weather season. Aligned to the European transfer windows which integrates us better into the transfer market.

The downside would be like I said a few more cold dates per team. An awkward mid season break that may disrupt the season's momentum/fan interest. Our playoffs are still not entirely out of the shadows with NBA and NHL hanging over our heads.

tab5g repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also noticeably lower attendance if you're increasing the number of midweek games.

Achowat and bunge repped this.
  6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of orange ball soccer.

7. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would a fall to spring schedule look like? By January, like the sports analogue of the Battle of Stalingrad. ;)

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the difference between midweek and weekend has been declining.

The first 10 years of the league, weekend (Fri-Sun) averages were about 31% higher than midweek averages. This year it was about 16%.

It's less of a concern than it once was. By a lot. (That may not hold as well in a late fall/winter/early spring scenario.)

mls_average_days_of_week.jpg

xtomx, tab5g, henryo and 1 other person repped this.
  10. youngorst

youngorst Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    Why is it that NBA/NHL/MLB/NFL can all play mid week games without huge attendance drops yet for some reason everyone assumes MLS can't get fans to a game on a Wednesday night?

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you seriously asking that question?

12. youngorst

youngorst Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    Yes, it should not be a problem to get 20,000 people to a stadium on a Wednesday night.

If anything MLS has a huge edge compared to the other leagues. When I go to an MLS game that starts at 7:10 I know its going to be over by 9:10 as opposed to going to all of the other sports where the game goes till at least 9:30 and typically well past 10:00 (and in the case of the MLB could hypothetically go well past midnight).

It should not be difficult to get 20,000 soccer fans out to a game just because its a weeknight. I bet that if mid-week games were more common than now you'd see little difference in how many fans show up, hell it might even help with US Open Cup and Champions League attendance since fans would stop thinking of MLS has a 'weekend thing'

I know that most concerts are on weeknights and get plenty of people there, its not like people refuse to go out on weeknights. You need to give them a compelling reason to do so though. If MLS isn't compelling enough to get people out on a weeknight its future isn't very bright.

henryo repped this.
  13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Is preferable to hot for professional soccer, it could be argued.

scott47a, skinut and Boloni86 repped this.
  14. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    You can avoid most of the heat, most of the time. That MLS chooses not to is a different story, but 8pm July kickoffs in Texas could be the worst we'd have to deal with. That's significantly better than a lot of the winter weather we would have to deal with.

15. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    By people who think 20F is cold.

16. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    - Starts in mid Aug, and play until thrid week in December.
    - Winter break till mid February
    - MLS Cup in End of June.

ceezmad repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's back....

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have you been?

19. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one hell of a hot sports take

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So every 4 years the MLS playoffs will be played without National team players. I like it, may benefit Chicago (if we ever make the playoffs again).

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  21. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the players, debatable. I've experienced Houston in July, and playing matches in the snow. I'll choose the orange ball.

As a spectator, however...

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 KCbus, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Here's something that I hadn't previously thought of, nor have I heard anyone else suggest.

Proponents of switching to the fall to spring schedule often throw out the ridiculous idea of just putting the cold weather teams on the road for much of the start of the season. An idea which has been debunked and dissected more times than I can count.

But how about this: if the summertime games at the worst parts of the year temperature-wise are truly that oppressive in Texas and perhaps Orlando and Atlanta (and they ARE), why not flip that idea around and limit the number of home matches the Texas teams (and maybe one or two other broiling pans) play during that time? Give them road trips in July and August. Have them play one home match in July and two in August or vice-versa.

That seems like it would be a lot more workable and logical then uprooting the entire schedule, which is what some people around here seem to think would be so easy.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also interesting to point out that there are far, far more teams that have shitty Januaries than have shitty Julies

xtomx repped this.
  24. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Can't say much other than that I'd like to have a switch. But even if you use some of the constructive suggestions here, there's a big problem lurking.....TV.

MLS already has enough trouble in the Summer when all it really has to deal with baseball and NASCAR. I think it needs to grow more before taking on the EPL along with the truckload of other sports on TV during the winter.

25. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a switch would be a terrible idea for a lot of reasons, but I don't think TV is a big one. The EPL (and other Euro leagues) are on earlier than MLS games and the NBCSN TV ratings we have show that an EPL lead-in is actually helpful for MLS ratings. Besides that, MLS already plays through the NBA and NHL playoffs, most of the NFL and college football regular seasons, March madness, etc. As MLS would not play during the NFL playoffs even on a "winter" schedule, the TV competition would not be significantly different.