What will be the average attendance of FCNY?

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by psveindhoven, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You're a fan of the Uruguayan league, which is essentially a second division league.

2. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    It will take hard work and the willingness to invest a significant amount of money. FCNY cannot count on media coverage to provide free publicity, it's got to generate it's own publicity through advertising and grass-roots marketing. It's got to become well known not just in the soccer community but in the sports community generally. Signing a few recognizable players would help.

I think success could come easier, and the ceiling would be higher, if FCNY were located in Queens or Brooklyn, but I agree that with good marketing and a good product, the team can succeed on LI.

3. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're underestimating how good the original LIRR were. And not to break your chops. but the LIRR back in those days would get 2,000 in the stands, 5,000 tixs sold. Plus you didn't have all the coverage of the top Euro leagues on your TV every week. Thats the thing , that helps and hurts soccer in this country. We can see the best leagues in the world on TV.

4. Villegas was a God

Villegas was a God New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Brooklyn
    The average attendance will be 0 as this team looks likely never to play a game.

5. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just crossed my mind.

To all those (either if you are an individual, BB, male, female, my best friend, black, white, green, asain, aussie, peruvian, colombian, or whatever the ******** you may be) that wouldn't support this team when they were at Hofstra, please, do us (those who supported FCNY from day 1) the favor... and don't come if they get a stadium in NYC a few years down the road. If you couldn't support them from the beginning, don't support them when they are in NYC.

You can sit arround and wait to support a team that started in NYC...if it ever happens.

1 person likes this.
  6. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we thought for a single second that this team will ACTUALLY ever come to NYC...or that the is team will actually ever exist...then you may be right. Just remember...some of us were there from day one...
    i was personally at the press conference, and it was amatuer hour from the start. Doug Peterson is so way over his head, you have no idea kid.

7. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I dont think the issue is if this team plays in NYC or LI the issue here is the amature 3 ring circus that say run this team... I see peterson i see a dude that will fold the USL team in 3 seasons tops....

he came out barking loud about stadiums and what not... this dude cand build a lego block stadium in his office let alone a multimillion dollar construction project in queens...

FCNY is done and over with... AMATURE HOUR like the rest of the USL god willing 2010 will be the final year of what always was the bush league that was the usl and 90% of all their teams with the exceptions of a few...

8. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well i like to be optimistic.

I don't have to attend any press conference, or waste my time meeting anyone, because at the end of the day these millionaire owners don't listen to anyone... unless you are the ultras of River Plate.

I don't care what league they play in. All I care about is having a local club to support that I can watch live, sing, drink and enjoy myself.

9. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but it does matter...because i DID meet the owner...TWICE.....this isn't Europe or South America....for soccer to work in this country you need to consult with your future fans. And the mere fact that we were written off by the owners after offering to help try to sell season tickets, and get a grassroots movement going with this new club shows he has no clue.
    And if he has no clue...then this team might never take shape.

Nevermind FCNY...just look at the status of USL and now NASL...
    you really think this is going to work?

10. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, I am optimistic.

However, you are correct in the first paragraph. I didn't think of it like that.

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed bro but looking back in Hindsight - lets be fair - they might have known about the issues in USL and just could not speak about it....now they have said 2011 and it is really the clubs time to make good on its promises.

I have to be honest - looking back now - they had to know how ugly things were going to get but had to keep it private

12. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You don't know how right you really are.

13. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

dont get me wrong bro - i still have my doubts and my concerns - because i have heard things that are down right scary about this team but I am still hoping they prove us all wrong and give us a team in Queens but I am not banking on it.

However- if they are in LI - i will still hit up a game or two to check it out

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's a Fantasy Club so whatever you want it to be.

15. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Getting back on topic if FCNY picks this one particular player that was preselected at the tryouts, you will see a group of at least 50 guys supporting FCNY at every home game.

Unfortunately it's not going to be this year but when it does happen it's going to be great atmosphere.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Beat me to it.

17. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "When"?

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the holder of a math degree, I must point out that you and Villegas was a God are wrong (I'll blame him since he was wrong first).

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    FCNY did say they would hold out until 2011.

20. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    look I dont give 2 shites about this team. But I see you on this board and the BB one. I thought you're a big Red Bull guy ? Are you looking for something else to root for ?

21. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a soccer supporter. I prefer to support teams that actually exist but it's also enjoyable to discuss ones that might some day (but probably won't).

To me the two aren't mutually exclusive at all.

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also said they were joining an entity "the USL conference" that won't exist next year.

23. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I'm not from NY (but my wife is, and had relatives in Brookyn), but I will say this; if FCNY did come to fruition, and if they spent the money to advertise, market, and have a good team, even if they played at Hofstra, I could see an average attendance of over 5,000. Granted, all of the above would have to come to pass (especially FCNY actually fielding a team). But I think even some of you "if it ain't in the City, it ain't NY" diehards would give a little slack, and there are probably enough soccer fans on Long Island to draw at least that many. I know if I hated Red Bull as much as some of you do, I'd support this team simply out of spite, sort of like the FCU Manchester fans. :D

24. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Past History has shown minor league teams in USL USISL A League have drawn tops 5 k also these d3 teams USL USISL A league have also shown these minor league teams have droawn 300 people as well...

I think the 300 - 5K mumber for FC AMATURE NY PLAYING IN LONG ISLAND will do the same numbers....

People will only come out in numbers for an MLS side not a USL side or NASL or what ever league that will become D2

25. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Anybody old enough to remember how the NY Apollo/United drew in the 70s and 80s, especially in light of the Cosmos playing in Joisey? I understand they did okay (by ASL standards) when they played at Hofstra, but they really tanked when they moved to Shea. Anybody?

I'm asking because you could probably use that comparison when talking about FCNY (if they ever materialize) and Red Bull.