What will be the average attendance of FCNY?

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by psveindhoven, Jul 26, 2009.

1. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    What will be the average attendance of FCNY? I guess around 6,000.

2. tampasteve1

tampasteve1 Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies and Strikers
    Jul 21, 2009
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6K would be great....but I would put it closer to the league average, which was about 5K last year and just under 4.5K this year. Maybe more their first year though if they make some good buzz, so 6K might not be too far off.

Steve

3. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ Hofstra: 4.5K in a 15,000 person stadium.
    @ Icahn: 4.5K in a 4.5K stadium creating an amazing atmosphere
    @ Baker: 9K/a game with great public transport access

4. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be like the PDL teams..when you see the Brooklyn Knights had a crowd of 600..it really means tickets sold. I was at a Knights game this year with PCFC..and they said it was 623 or something like that. We counted 50 people in the ground

5. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance?...who cares if it's in Long Island...

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    So, you're just going to go ahead and crap on this team? If there really are only two more spots in MLS, and NY doesn't get one, you're screwed forever. A team on Long Island is better than none at all. If USL came back to Atlanta, I have no idea where they would play, but after having to drive 60 miles round trip to see the Silverbacks, I'd probably go see the new team, wherever they played. If a city of ten million or so people can't/won't support a USL team with at least 5,000 a game, I don't know what to think. At least you have the possibility of a team, wherever they're playing; we down here have nothing.

7. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I get this feeling that KingsCounty hasn't read this article yet:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...-17_mls_commissioner_says_expansion_team.html

It is his choice not to support the team if they play on Long Island, but they more then likely will be playing in Queens within a couple of years, its almost certain, so he can watch the Red Bulls for a few years...no biggie....and if he is waiting for a team to support within the city limits that is MLS then he will have to watch Celtic on television for the next decade or so it seems =)...or he can move to Montreal.

8. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would venture to say that around 2k with steady progress upward.

If this team can connect its youth divisions and local talent to its pro team then I can see attendance growing even more.

Yesterday I was at the COPA NYC semifinals. There were close to 300 people there and the atmosphere was electrifying. If NYC can come out for a smaller tournament like Copa NYC, then FCNY stands a chance at bigger attendance numbers if they chase the right segment of fan.

As far as hispanic supporters, several peñas have inquired about lending their support in the upcoming year. The Boca Juniors Pena specifically has said that they will be joining in support of FCNY next year. Personally I hope to see them there supporting FCNY.

Next year is going to be a good one for soccer in NYC.

9. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Excellent! Lets hope so.

I'm going to say 3k-4k while at Hofstra and then 9k sell outs once the stadium is built. Then I see the stadium expanding to more seats the following year and pulling 15k-20k a game.

10. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah I hope to see the same.

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You said the new web site would be up in less than two weeks 6 weeks ago. So if you were wrong about that, why should you have any credibility on the stadium in queens issue?

12. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I guess I really don't have any credibility, and websites...well I'm learning that there are hurdles to making a polished product.

13. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to seeing the kits.
    I look forward to finding out who the coach is.
    And I look forward to watching some non-league games in the City.

I believe, for the third part, that is the best I can hope for. I understand that finding a spot in NYC is difficult, and I think most City people here that were drawn to FCNY understood the difficulty when the team was announced on April Fool's Day. I'm surely going to be out there for a few games next year. But I probably won't be waving flags, singing songs and being the supporter I thought I would be until I fully understand the team and the situation.

14. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't I crap on this team.
    If i'm going to support a team NOT in the city...then why on earth would it be FCNY? RedBull is closer.
    Also..i don't have a car...and would f**king gladly drive 60 miles to watch MLS versus spending hours on the subway , Port Authory Bus terminal, and having no control over how and when I leave or get home.
    This is NYC. Driving in suburbia is many times more comfortable than slogging out on public transit friend.
    10 Million people?...yes.....8 million in the City... why would they support something in Long Island? It's simply a bad business plan friend.
    The goal...the mecca..is NYC..the city...until then...these teams on the fringes of the metro area will continue to only draw mediocre crowds.

I don't care if it's MLS, USL-1, or USL-2....it's the team in the city that is the goal. I'm not a MLS elitist... I'll take USL-1 in Brooklyn in a heartbeat.
    Secondly..i think you are STILL missing the point...
    Doug Peterson told ME personally ( i was at the press conference )..
    and told the Borough Boys later at a private meeting, that the GOAL was to have a team in the City...
    so we put our support behind it...
    not..it seems like that's not happening.
    Can you blame us? a group FOUNDED upon the idea of professional soccer in the city?
    I hate to tell you..but all you guys can cry and whine about how we should support this team, but i promise you...many of us will wait forever.
    We're not the type of fans to promise loyality to a club, but only until something better comes. We promise loyality to a club in the city of new york.
    That's our Creed, that's what we are built upon, that's what we will wait for.

oh..and sorry..David P about Atlanta...but that's hardly my problem you don't have soccer there. Our metro population is 4 times larger than Atlanta, filled with soccer fans from all walks of life. Do you honestly think that the attendance of RedBull, and the apathy towards FCNY is because NYC hates soccer? It's because they have no connection to these clubs, and they simply won't. It's only until a proper professional team, is places in the city, on a subway line, will you see the true fans come out...and sell out a 25,000 stadium every game...trust me on that one.

1 person likes this.
  15. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    FCNY has yet to play. They yet to name a coach or even players. Much work has yet to be done and much work already done has yet to be presented.

For some reason I'm just not impatient. I've waited since 1994 for a team on this side of the river and they have finally arrived. Granted its not MLS, which is my first choice, but at least its professional soccer. Also let's not forget that of the two franchises that were slated for the NYC area, one was in NJ and the other one was going to play at Hofstra. The very same place that FCNY is going to use. Maybe is karmic or not but

Let's look at the distances:

From where I stand in Queens (CitiField)
    • Hofstra is 20.8 miles away (50 minutes in traffic)
    • Harrison, NJ is 20.3 miles away (1hr 50 minutes in traffic)
    • E. Rutherford, NJ is 17.2 miles (1 hour 40 minutes in traffic)
    It's obvious where I'm headed. NJ is ridiculous to get to and let's not forget about the tolls involved. Hofstra has no tolls. For many of the Queens residents who follow soccer, Hofstra is a LAY UP! Brooklyn, well maybe not so much. So I guess the Brooklyn residents can just go to RBA and support a NJ team. What else can I tell you.

Remember that the segment of the population which is coveted by MLS and Doug is the Queens hispanic demographic. They live near CitiField and they want soccer. They are there for the taking, it just a matter of who wants them the most.

As far as Doug Peterson's speed, its perfectly understandable that things are going slow. It's not an easy endeavor and things take their time. Website you ask? What are you going to showcase on it? Players? Coach? Stadium? The team has none. Why waste the presentation and marketing opportunity when you have nothing to showcase.

So you say that its a needed tool in this day and age? I completely agree but if you have nothing to put on it, then you just wasted your precious gunpodwer.

It seems obvious that Peterson is waiting for after the USL and MLS seasons to make his moves. There, FCNY will have less competition in the media, and will be able to make a bigger splash.

I would be worried if during the offseason, there wasn't any noise. I would be worried in the offseason if there wasn't a website presentation/press release, etc etc.

Things like this take time to develop and organize. Give it time, it's going to happen.

16. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious, what's the time difference using public transportation (forget East Rutherford, it's irrelevant come 2010).

17. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrison will be the easiest to get to by far.
    Subway and PATH?

this is my point...if i'm going to support a team NOT in the city...
    why on earth would it be FCNY??

18. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've never made this trek before, but google maps is saying
    1 hr, 20 minutes....
    that's the 7 to the E, then the E all the way to the Path Station at
    WTC., then to Harrison.
    Not sure how accurate that is. ( this is timed for 8pm on a monday btw)
    it also says an 1 hour and 38 minutes to Hofstra from Citifield public transit,
    but i doubt it's that quick to be honest.

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good question but I think that Kings answered it very well.

I'll add this though. Of the people that I know that are active in the soccer world (supporters and players) most move around in cars. They get to and fro either car pooling with friends or using their own cars.

While I'm not saying that everyone has cars a good majority do. The percentage might not be as great as say outside of the city but its not small by any means.

In the end, if you have a car, and you live in Queens, its easier and cheaper to get to Hofstra than say Harrison.

20. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how accurate Google Maps is. They said that it would take me 1 hour and 15 mins to get to Shea (sorry...Citi Field) and I know I do it in 45 mins. It says it will take me an 1 hour and 30 mins to go to RBA, so I'll assume that's actually 1 hour. The public transit to Hofstra almost made my computer explode...so

21. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the point is....
    as far as general population of new york..not having a car...
    Harrison is easier than Hofstra...
    end of story.

22. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most people who I know, who own cars. Won't drive to ANY games. Why 2 reasons..traffic and 99% of people who I know who go to sporting events or concerts drink booze. you think traffic going to NJ is bad. Wait till you're stuck on the LIE or whatever on a nice Saturday heading towards Jones Beach..LOL

Now prices and how far things are..
    RBA..Harrison..from my apartment in Woodside..R train..to 34st..Path train to WTC..switch for Harrison train..total time around 1 hour..cost 8 bucks roundtrip

Hofstra...walk to 61 street..LIRR....switch at Jamaica for Hempstead..then take a bus to hofstra...total time..little over an hour..cost..17.50 :mad:

So in the same time ..I can get to Hofstra..I can save almost 10 bucks..and go to RBA

And BTW..if anyone was waiting for soccer on this side of the east river...we had the LI Rough Riders with a great team in the mid to late 90's :confused:

23. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said!

Agreed - a lot easier from BK - and in some spots of Queens!

Hope FC works out - but its not a City team right now - I will support it hte same way I do Red Bull - I hope they do well, I hope they draw well - good luck - ill make it out to games (cant promist how many) but I want a team in the City - specifically Queens or Brooklyn because growing up that is where I spent most of my time and it is my identity. And if in time - I move say to another country - I will always be proud of Queens and Brooklyn because its my HOME

Good luck to FC - seriously but git your a$$ to Queens!

24. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
  25. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States