What Will Arena's First Moves Be?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, May 14, 2019.

1. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Before new bodies come in, expect a few guys to disappear. For instance, Antonio Dellamea may be shopping for gigs in Slovenia. Mancienne heading back to England seems likely too. That will pave the way for new defenders to come in.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a "different day" and all that, but I would feel much more comfortable if they brought in some new guys before they tossed aside the mediocre ones they are replacing. They have always done this ass-backwards, and inevitably, they never signed new guys for a while, and they often were no better than the ones they let go. And it's not like we don't have the roster room or anything like that...

3. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Arena might bring in some old (possibly out of contract) guys who will not be here for long and will look like head scratchers on the surface, but will be part of introducing and cementing a culture change at the player level.

I hope not many are cast aside based on the past without a chance to show that they can add value in a new environment/system/culture and with new, clearly defined expectations. Only the cancerous or those wanting out should be let go before the end of the season unless they are moved to make room for a signed replacement/addition.

I wonder if some recent departures might end up coming back under Arena?

RevsLiverpool, A Casual Fan and davidRN repped this.
  4. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not a recent departure, but I'd love it if Larentowicz came back for a season before retiring. I feel like he could help build a better locker room culture as well.

davidRN repped this.
  5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't see any of the players that recently left come back. Not sure there is a need for any of them. I don't see Lee or Rowe helping this team.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If players come along that can fit what Bruce is trying to do I would not be surprised if he makes 2 or 3 roster moves during the summer. If not I do expect a rebuild starting in Oct after the Revs season. I can see Zahibo, Mancienne, Delemea, Penilla and possible a few others given their walking papers

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. davidRN

davidRN Member

Oct 19, 2012
    N Central Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How quick we have forgotten Somi.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising, even Friedel forgot him.

11. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

NFLPatriot repped this.
  12. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Agreed -

13. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In-Somi-a

a517dogg repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i did say possibly a few others ;)

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the spending begin!

16. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm That's about $1171.875 per inch. Not that he'll be coaching the team anytime soon but his record as a coach wasnt that great. Actually, Lapper is better

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
  18. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how short (pun intended) his stay was in Loudon, combined with how little I expect he had to work with roster-wise (basically the DCU youth and deep deep bench, sans any DPs), I am not taking his results there as much of an indicator of anything.

TOAzer repped this.
  19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Arena rescue Diego? That's an intriguing question I'm anxious to get an answer to. My prediction when the old regime was here is Diego gets traded or sold by the end of this season, but with Arena who knows. He may be able to salvage him and get his head screwed on straight enough to start producing again. What's hard with Fagundez is USMNT call ups are a natural motivator to increase performance. However with Diego being inelligible for the US (I believe) he probably has no shot at Uruguay's NT.

20. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, because he represented Uruguay at the 2015 South American Youth Championship, an official competition by FIFA, so he is cap-tied to Uruguay. Had he been a US citizen when he played for Uruguay, he would be able to file a one-time switch with FIFA, but because wasn’t a citizen at the time, he’ll be ineligible to file a one-time switch even after he receives US citizenship. Unless the rules change(d), but I don't think they have nor are they likely to. But even if the rules changed tomorrow and he became eligible for a switch, where would he fit in to the US team's plan? He's what, 23? Would he factor into the current Cup cycle? At this stage in his career, he'd be a long way away from being a serious candidate to be a significant contributor. There are better players in the fold and better prospects in the pipeline.The people managing his career and the coaches who have managed his development have not served him well IMO. Perhaps Bruce could resurrect him, or perhaps a move out of New England/MLS is what he needs. Right now, I think a move is the best course.

TOAzer repped this.
  21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by last night's pat on the back by Bruce when Diego was subbed out, it looks like they already have a good relationship.

Bruce appears to be in the get-friendly-with-the-guys mode right now. Once he wins their trust and loyalty, then he'll start turning the screws to make them perform to the best of their abilities. Looks like a sound method.