What we need

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Chris_G, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    A fully paved parking lot.

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth.

3. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very disappointed in Gaven's play. BUT, to say the Edson/Eddie deal gets worse every day IS ridiculous. Prior to the hat-trick, EB had 3 and 3, EG had 2 and 2. Not too far off statistically. Did it really surprise anyone that EB went off for a hat-trick. He's good for one every year about this time, but that's after spending the first half of the year being worthless. Or did you forget what it was like watching EB walk around all the time? Is that really something we want our rookies learning to do too?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding Sigi's RSL post-game quotes, but it didn't seem to me he was saying that Joe and Jason had "seized" the spots. I know he was pleased with them, but I also know he's spent the previous four months ripping into the forwards as often as we do. I'm judging from the bulk of his comments here.

This is all you got?

What control did Sigi have in terms of getting Duncan on the field? The green card was the biggest obstacle. After that I'd argue that getting a competent forward was the next biggest priority, which is likely why Dunc was brought on as an SI only after Jansen fell through.

To continue the logic you're using in regards to Dunc playing reserve/exhibition games (which was in limited time, lest you forget), then why wasn't Danny brought back sooner, or Ned for that matter. Clearly if he's able to play exhibition matches then he can play full speed in a regular team game, right?
    :cool:

4. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    Just to add a quick note to Jay here, Sigi has also commented in the past that having so many injuries at once has hamstrung any attempt to bring guys back on a regular schedule. So it shouldn't be shocking to see them so cautious with Duncan. You're not going to see 3 guys worked into the lineup off injury at the same time, especially while we had that stretch losing a player each game.

What we need is some soul searching from Sigi as to whether or not there is anything he's done with our training this year that has possibly contributed to the mass of injuries. He's already insisted that the "Pre-season" will be run in a different manner, but beyond that Sigi, Robert, Eddie, and Mike need to see if they are at least partly to blame. If not they need to start sacrificing goats the moment the season ends.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes Buddle is inconsistent but that doesn't mean his goals don't count. You also didn't note that one of Gaven's two goals was on a PK while Buddle hasn't taken any for RB. Lots of forwards loaf or conserve energy depending on how you want to characterize it. Typically the Crew would have an attack with Buddle running toward the goal. The defense would kick the ball upfield and push up. Buddle would walk back onside while the Crew won the clearance and Buddle would be in an offside position. Hardly a crime.

Once Dunc was healthy, Sigi had complete control. Oughton has been listed as "close" to getting a green card for 5 years. He has played for the Crew as an SI. If his presence on the field is as important as Sigi claimed then re-sign him and let Bisaku go. If Jansen were signed, Ngwenya is probably the guy to go since he is both an SI and a forward. And yes physically there isn't much difference between 90 minutes with the reserves and 90 minutes with the first team. It's still a lot of running. BTW here's a link showing Dunc playing all 90 vs DC reserves in early July.
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20060711&content_id=65451&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

6. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Hmmm, I don't remember many people (anyone?) defending Buddle when we wanted him traded.

Edson has started to run a little bit and move without the ball and work for his teammates more ever since about the time Arena got the job at Red Bull. So if you're looking at his recent play and thinking he played like that for us, you are incorrect.

7. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care what you say, I don't buy that 90 minutes in a reserve match is the same as 90 minutes of regular team action. And seeing as how neither of us can count on first-hand experience, I'm guessing, we'll just have to disagree here.

8. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this line alone earns a rep in my book...

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO, YOU GET A CLUE. In case you haven't noticed, consistent 10 goal a year scorers don't grow on trees. Edson is hardly the first striker to have off/on switch troubles. If your going to let someone of that qualilty go, make sure you have a replacement. We didn't, and we got burned.

THE QUESTION IS, DO YOU LISTEN? Sigi blasted Seb after a game in which he was clearly our best player on the field, and our forwards spurned several glorious chances, and were praised by Sigi. Garey has continued to receive praise without scoring. And how many games has Gaven started up front without scoring? He likes wide midfielders who cant run (Ezra: he finally figured out he's better inside). He praises Ngwenya's touch (his TOUCH?!).

No, the thing with Duncan was not the Green card, but the fact he was back from injury, ready to go, and practicing with the team without being utilized. He was cut from the squad so Bisaku could occupy an SI slot. While Bisaku languished 4th/5th on the d-mid depth chart (Retiz, Moss, Szetela, Vasquez, Oughton), Sigi lamented the lack of someone with bite in the midfield, vocal leadership, and hustle (to back up Seb). Geez, can you say DUNCAN OUGHTON? The idea was so clear and obvious that I, and others, suggested the move that was FINALLY made. Bring back Duncan (he still doens't have a Green Card) and waive Bisaku (he never played anyway).

Obviously, I must have some clue, because Sigi (at least sometimes) makes the moves I have already suggested. (Though I'm quite sure he didn't read it on BS).

10. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Having watched a number of Crew games this year the one thing that stood out to me was the large number of high promise (or at least highly publicized) young players the team has and the fact that as a group the young players have not improved much during this season. While the real responsibility for improvement lies with the player I have to wonder if the coach is an issue also here. I see steve Nichols with the Revolution and Peter Nowak with DC United doing really nice work with young players and watch them improve over a season but that has been missing here. I realize that young players often do not contribute much but overall we should be seeing more than what is shown on the field. On the Gaven front, if the team / coach is determined to keep him then they need to find a position for him where he is comfortable and can regain his confidence. Right now he i splaying at a much lower level than he did several years ago.

11. jcrocker

jcrocker Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Springboro, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that we don't have enough quality veterans to instill good work ethics, teach them the subtle nuances of playing their positions, and the ability to show them how execute on the field.

We have to start at least 6 players under 25 every week and that is a lot more than NE or DC.

12. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I will take that excuse for the forwards, but the rest? How many vets do we need in defense for Marshall to figure out he needs to quit ballwatching?

That just sounds like a page out of Kyle Martino's upcoming autobiography "Flushing It All Away -- How I Avoided My Potential and Had A Great Time Doing It".

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true up front, but the situation was self-inflicted. We let all of our vets go and failed to find a replacement.

Virtually the same thing has happened in midfield. Though Seb is not young.

On defense, though. Gonzalez, Marshall, Kotschau, Pierce, Hendrickson. Plenty of experience there.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we need is 6 more games like tonight. :)

I'm happy to eat some crow toninght. It tastes yummy.

Where has Virtuoso been all year? (though he seemed to lope a couple times when he should have sprinited). Still, very impressive. Thought I was looking at Ronaldo as he made Heaps look silly. I think he's on the same wavelength as Seb more than our other wingers.

Gaven looked more comfortable (and crafty) on the right side, rather than on the left, up front, or as an A-mid.

15. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Dispatch this morning Mango's been injured.

Re: Gaven, I wonder if Gaven's seemingly improved play had more to do with playing with players who were actually creating for him. Remember how great he looked in NY with Amado and Youri, etc.

Maybe Gaven's just one of those players that needs quality around him for his quality to shine.

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Sounded more like banged up than injured to me. Plus, it sounds like he was a bit gassed. A bit of rest and some conditioning training and he should be back.

17. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i haven't read the paper itself, but where is it mentioned about mango? I couldn't find it in the main article online...

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    I thought it was in the hard copy Dispatch report, if not, look at the two (count 'em) match reports on the Crew website.

19. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the online version:

"Virtuoso, starting in place of suspended Joseph Ngwenya, made the most of his first substantial action since a groin injury in July. Playing on the left wing, he created multiple firsthalf scoring chances with effective runs into the offensive end that left Revs right back Jay Heaps befuddled and beaten."

And the Dispatch says injury, not banged up.

20. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it says he made the most of his action SINCE a groin injury in JULY, not that he is injured NOW.

21. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that. That's why I said Mango's BEEN injured, as in past tense. I was originally replying to a poster who asked where he's been all season and I only replied that, according to the Dispatch this morning, he's been injured so that's probably why we haven't seen him until now. In no way was I implying he is now injured.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update on Virtuoso.

I have a question. When Ngwenya gets back, does he sit in favor of Virtuoso and Gaven out wide?

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright Jay, minor miscommunication ,that's all. i just thought you were saying he was injured after last night, when he certainly appeared to have pulled something...