Post-match: What we learned from the Summer Series (Bol, Ire, Fra)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Deadtigers, Jun 10, 2018.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Just need to remember that even though things seem ok at the back after watching France guys still need to improve a lot.

The defense looked ok but that was with 5 defenders and 3 dmids....they shouldve been ok with that set up against anyone. The issue will be when they have to play a real lineup.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there rumors of any? Other than coaching, this is where MLS primarily hurts the USNT.

Really annoying that Feilhaber was ignored and then Mix didn't turn out and then Zelalem broke.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of promise and that 3 man back line may be best for our pool...

With 3 in the back, that leaves our depth at:

Starters:
    Matt Miazga
    John Brooks
    Cameron Carter-Vickers

Back-ups:
    Tim Parker
    Erik Palmer-Brown
    Walker Zimmermann

Reserves:
    Justen Glad
    Aaron Long
    Ike Opara

Veteran Call-up for important games:
    Tim Ream

Prospects/Olympics:
    Auston Trusty
    Mark McKenzie
    Miles Robinson
    Tommy Redding?
    ...add Glad back in here for Olympic qualifying.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even for the best teams in the World, international soccer starts with being strong in defense first. So it took 8 field players, but we showed that we can be strong in defense. Time to build out from there - Brazil and Germany we are not. First, thou shalt not surrender goals. Second, thou shalt seek to score goals.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Once more with the good news, bad news.

The good news, our back 4/5 are the most technical group I have seen and it's not just the guys we've seen. In particular, the CBs are stocked with good, young, tall, technical talent. Beyond the ones we saw there is also Brooks. Prospects are also Glad and Trusty. Right back is not stocked but we have credible prospects beyond Yedlin. And yes, we actually have a natural left back which is an improvement. DMs we could go multiple ways and we have multiple options.

The problem is the front 4/5. It's Pulisic and then we have to just keep using Nagbe, Altidore, and Wood. Otherwise, it's giving looks at Morris, Zardes, Green and Dwyer. We desperately need Parks, Amon, Sargent, Weah, Carleton and Novakovich to come through. And not just some of them. We need all of them to have a decent set of alternatives. Experience tells me that rarely happens.

Marko72, STR1, neems and 1 other person repped this.
  6. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have to keep using Nagbe, Morris, etc. There's almost no logic to it unless we're submitting to keeping mediocre players front and center. Either we have talent in the youth pipeline or we don't. We need to get past that first and I think we do.

Now, those pups need to play in the next 3 yrs. A lot. The MLS starters are playing in league and they are who they are. We know that. We also know they aren't good enough to get the USMNT to where it probably should be so why give in to that easy temptation of comfort? There is zero to prove but lots to learn in the new few years. Let's actually try to learn some of that.

The front 4 does scare me but at this point only because we keep rehashing names that haven't really done it for the USMNT, ever or lately. I quit if we hire another US retread coach who overvalues 'experience' when that experience is MLS and the last Hex. Sargent, Pulisic, Weah, etc.....while many are seemingly frightened by their youth, I'm jacked about their skills and potential and only bad coaching can really screw them up at this point IMO.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not in the least frightened by youth, I just think that you need two or three good players per position and you need two or three good prospects to expect a good player. The numbers are weak, really weak.

8. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on that. I just disagree with many names bantered about as 'good'. I think my expectations are to rise above what we just saw. To me, the numbers are mostly under-23 at this point moving forward. I've seen more than enough of the 26 yr old plus roster.

I'm obviously in a more patient, longer term view right now. I do not care to see those same guys floundering in the name of the USMNT. I realize some of them shine in MLS.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So let me backpedal a little. On rereading it sounds like I think we will suck. Well not really, I just don't yet see the guys that will truly lift us up to another level. It's going to be a somewhat improved but largely similar NT the next four years.

Also, the corollary is that no coaching hire will take us to that next level.

10. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are not good right now, no question. We sucked under Arena and we won't go backwards from there however.

As someone who's coach HS lacrosse for 12 years now, I live off potential. I give up on someone who's peaked but not to the level I envision the team needs and find the next freshman with the desire and skills and start working him in. This is my bias in all this.

I think with a cohesive team minus all the cliques we are all too used to, we'll improve by default. A team that actually likes each other and wants to play for each other will do wonders. We haven't seen that in a long time. And I beleive this next generation is overall more talented than perhaps any in our history, but I'm a believer in potential and that's where we disagree on quality of coaching for the USMNT. We really need new coaching blood and ideas even if it's only for a few camps a year.

Deadtigers, deejay and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quit freaking out about our 17 or 18 year olds being raw. All 17 or 18 year olds not named Messi or Pele are raw. 4 years is a long time for them. Weah, Sargent, et al will be fine.

I'm excited for 2022 but especially 2026.

juveeer, KUSA77, OWN(yewu)ED and 2 others repped this.
  12. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For years we have heard about all these rifts in the team regarding the older veteran players.

Well in a change from that narrative, anyone watching the USMNT play or with an Instagram can tell that of these young kids who are from different cultures/backgrounds/leagues love playing with each other and representing our great country.

The old guard can remain right where they are, not called up.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Worst of the hot takes. We have one player who’s a starter for a big 4 UCL team and another one will should be next year. The rest are second tier major leaguers or even minor league players.

Yet you want us to try to and go toe-to-toe vs. a lineup of UCL semifinal players.

I know it’s what JK said was our natural spirit but Butch/Sundance died at the end....

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Apoo,

We have the talent to build a respectable back 7 who hopefully can play greater than the sum of our parts but in no way is it a top 10 defense. Brooks is still our best bet for being an elite UCL knockout starter and even that’s a long shot.

Steffen played well last game but our traditionally strength in GK is no longer a differentiator.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Australia can go toe-to-toe with France but the US has to be scared?

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I didn’t watch that game but heard that, like Iceland, Australia played a very strong defensive game.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...r-video-watch-things-we-learned-a8402111.html

4. Australia's almost expertly parked bus
    Australia headed into Russia full of hope if not much expectation but held their own here against one of the best sides we'll see in Russia, on paper at least.

They aren't the prettiest but they are functional and their structured and organised shape frustrated the French for large periods. They rode their luck for sure but were good value for their share of the spoils until Pogba's late goal.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia most certainly did not park the bus.

If we were playing them in a playoff we would have lost looking at today

Their bald Huddersfield midfielder looked everything like what Michael Bradley would eventually turn out like

18. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    #43 largegarlic, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Australia was definitely solid defensively, but I also think they had some good spells of possession and looked dangerous off of free kicks. I'd think about van Marwijk for the US based on how he Australia playing, but I'm not sure if he's just more of a short-term hired gun at this point.

Soccernova78 repped this.
  19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m all for possession as long as it doesn’t jeopardize our defensive integrity.

One day, we may not have to make trade-offs but until then, our priority is defensive integrity (which doesn’t mean 10 behind the ball necessarily).

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Do you think Iceland “parked the bus”? Thanks

21. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do not need to keep using Nagbe. He’s been a big disappointment at the Nat level. There are others to look at.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second half yes first half no.

Whats this got to do with Australia playing clean possession the whole game?

23. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Anyone wonder what Australia is doing right that we aren't?

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hiring better coaches and playing Honduras in a playoff where the U.S. would have won as well (annihilated them 7-1 on aggregate). They lost on a neutral to the same team the U.S. just drew with on the road w/ their b-team. They have their own league that's worse than MLS. Probably had the sense to call standout players out of it, giving them a better chance to transfer. Still have 3 in Australia, 4 in Asia, 1 unattached who was just playing in Australia/MLS. You're fitting a narrative.

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Again, if we can enough defensive chops with players on the field while still maintaining clean possession, I’m all for it.

Emphasis on the former rather than the latter.