What we learned from Copa America 2007

Discussion in 'Bolivia' started by MrNiloBraun, Jul 4, 2007.

1. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    That our team doesn't need the altitude and we can play with other CONMEBOL teams til the end.

That some players are just not meant to play for the national team
    1) Galindo
    2) Reyes

That we have no #10 and Vaca is non-existent in big games.

That JuanMa no longer has it, and is done at the international level.

That we have a shaky Goalkeeper situation.

That Moreno, although talented, wont help us in qualifying and we'll need a forward anywhere near his quality to help Arce.

That we're absolutely HORRIBLE on dead balls, offense and defense.

That we have a long way to go, but we're no pushover.

Viva Bolivia!!!!!!!!!!!

2. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    defense

your defense is better than the peruvian, except we have acasiete

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I called it, on moreno. Without him we'd have no offense, and get hammered. SO what now? I think cabrera could be our next moreno, from what i seen with his crosses and might he has it. Andaveris isnt bad either, That mofo is quick! But old at 28.

And yes dead balls....we lack on those. And vaca sucks at corners, i could kick them better than that.

4. JacopeX

JacopeX Member

Feb 4, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You guys played with so much intensity. That's what I liked. I wish Peru had that intensity and agression.

5. Bolivar4ever

Bolivar4ever New Member

May 19, 2007
    Even thought we went out unfairly

i am still proud of Bolivia

they did me proud !

we have a future that is what i care about

we are no longer the Bolivia that thinks we are below most teams
    now we will play against anybody with a lot of BA-LS !

6. temujin

temujin Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Houston
    What we learned from Copa America 2007 ... and what we have known all along.

I started watching this tournament with the usual amount of skepticism and dread that any longtime Bolivian soccer fan has. As the whistle blew in the last game, I was proud of our guys. I was proud of the effort, the heart and desire our guys showed. I am also frustrated and disgusted because it was the same old story once again. We had oportunities, we had chances, we had our hands around their throat ... but we did not finish, we could not kill, we let them off the hook.

Hoyos, Alvarez, Raldes, Campos all surprised me. They took it to a level I did not think they had. I thought Hoyos, in particular, played great. Campos looks like he could be a star of the future.

I agree with Mr. Braun that we don't need the altitude. It is a crutch that holds us back, more than it helps us stand. We did play head to head, toe to toe with Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela. However, that's a long way from saying that we can match up with all of the CONMEBOL teams. We are still far, far away from Argentina, Brasil. We are gaining on some of the other teams, but our disadvantage in terms of speed, strength and ability to finish against teams like Ecuador, Colombia, Paraguay is a big concern.

Totally agree that Galindo and Reyes should never wear the green jersey again. I would add Joselito Vaca, Andaveris, and Lima to that list. Vaca may be a great kid with a lot of heart (I don't really know) but, he's no #10, he's no playmaker. It is a cruel joke seeing him wear the #10 jersey that Marco Etcheverry made famous.

Is there anyone else in Bolivia that can fill the #10 role??? How about Jazzy Campos? I kinda hoped that Sanchez would put Jaime Moreno in that slot ... or suit up and do it himself!

JuanMa looked weak. He was not a leader with his play or his spirit. Everyone in the world know Pizzaro would be the target man on those set pieces. Pena should have been all over him. That is the one person that Pena should not have allowed to beat us. Then again, the reality is that Pizzaro is physically bigger, stronger and faster than anyone on our team. It's hard to say that Juan Pena is done internationally because he is still our most experienced and best central defender ... by far.

Hugo Suarez should be our starting GK. He looked confident and made a handful of big saves. I saw him when Wilstermann played Blooming in Santa Cruz on June 10. He was easily the man of the match ... made 7-8 fabulous stops. He was on a different level than the other players. He's as good as any GK we have had in the past 20 years. Behind him, there is no one special. Yeah ... I guess you could say the GK position is "shaky", but it's no shakier that it has been ever since I can remember.

Jaime Moreno should have been on the national team at all times over the past 10 years. I was pleasantly surprised because I was one of those that thought he did not have anything left. He is definitely past his prime and has lost a step or two. Can he help us qualify? Well, what are our alternatives? I don't think we have anyone better ... even at his age. I think he should play a playmaking attacking MF role rather than a striker. Moreno can make up for the lost speed with the savvy, experience and poise that a veteran like him has aquired. If there is someone better, by all means bring him on ... but I don't thik we will find anyone.

We were worse than HORRIBLE on set pieces. A team with the atacking and finishing deficiencies that we have needs to be dangerous on set pieces. Oh, how I miss Sanchez, Baldivieso, and Etcheverry standing over the ball. Hell ... I even miss Lindberg Guttierrez taking set pieces. Another question ... why not let Moreno take corners and free kicks? He still does it at DC United and is still fairly good -- much better than Joselito Vaca.

JC Arce might be a big star one day ... but right now, he looks at least 2-3 years away. He's too slight and skinny. He needs go put on some muscle. I think his day will come. I hope he turns out better than our other great hopes like: Castillo, Suarez, Botero, Coimbra, etc.

We do have a long way to go but we seem to be going the right direction. This team showed that we have reason to hope and believe again. we are not going to be a pushover. Then again, it's the same old things that held us back. I think our biggest problem is the reality of our physical disadvantage in terms of size, speed and strenghth against the elite athletes from other countries. It is difficult to overcome that. Our second biggest problem is the mismanagement and cronyism that the FBF is famous for. I hope that the FBF stays out of Sanchez' way and lets him build this team.

Viva Bolivia ...

7. dreyx2000

dreyx2000 Member

Apr 1, 2007
    temujin....excellent analysis....agree 100%

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Agreed. You've said everything i've thought of in the last couple of weeks watching the NT play.

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You know, Moreno might not be the forward of the future but he could play the #10. He's done it at DC United when Etcheverry was off and did a great job. Anything's better than Vaca.

10. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The best thing to learn is to make sure that Altitude is with u at all times!! Cause without it ur just an ordinary team....oops I forgot u are just an ordinary team!!:D

11. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I liked the intensity Bolivia would put towards the end of matches when the other teams were a bit tired, they almost beat Venezuela and Uruguay in the last minutes.

What I didn't like was how they were unable to deal with dead balls. Like Chilean players, your defenders aren't that big, maybe you should try to get a goalkeeper that likes to go out for corners and crossings, like Bravo does for Chile.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is your one shot at trolling. Enjoy it, there won't be another.

13. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    lol.....no worries, que disfrute ese troll. Porque en unos cuantos dias cuando ese equipo Brasilero muy "ordinario" este eliminado el troll no estara de tan buen humor :D:p

14. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I never carded anyone. My trigger finger is getting itchy. :D

15. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think we learned that Platini Sanchez has brought a new attitude to the team.

Arce needs a better partner forward. Paging Marcelo Martins. i have never seen him play, but from all indications that he could be a difference maker. I remember thinking that during all the corner kicks and free kicks that we missed a forward with a killer instinct, something that we haven't had since J.A. Castillo in his prime, which sadly is long gone.

I agree that Gonzalo Galindo and Leonel Reyes should never suit up again.

Jhasmani Campos is the future of the team. Throw him in there at all times, his second goal against Peru was with no fear.

What if we had Gatti Ribeiro playing?

Anyway..

Arce, Raldes, Campos, Alvarez, Garcia, Hu. Suarez should be the base of the team that starts qualifying.

16. vivabolivar

vivabolivar Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How logical, replacing one Moreno for another. Marcelo Moreno, as i prefer to call him, sounds like he has all the tools. I would like to see what he can do. Did he actually play for Brazil or did he just warm the bench. If his dad is looking for his best interest, dont you think putting him in Bolivia, where he would shine more by playing more, he would would reap the most benefit? If my son had the chance to play for a team, and as we have seen Bolivia is not a pushover, which is not all that great, or play in a great team but not actually play, i'd take teh former. I hope Marcelo changes his mind and plays for Bolivia.

Since he suited up for Brazil is there anything soccer speaking that would prevent him from palying for Bolivia?

17. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I was rather impressed with Bolivia at Copa, having watched their first 2 group games, they deserved much better in both those games.
    That Arce kid is a phenomenal young talent (17 yo?), reminds of C Ronaldo. He makes good runs, aggresive with the ball and he seems to make the right decisions, especially for a youngster.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He's older, 22yrs old but still young.

19. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    yea the kids got flair. Something we need more of in Bolivia

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep. Its funny becasue in the past we were referred to as the other brazilians when coming up when qualifying to 94 wc. We havent seen that same flair that old team carried, but i have a feeling thats slowly changing.

I know we bolivians tend to have that flair, as alot of my friends do who play and as do I. God knows i love my step overs and nutmegs. LOL And cant forget the fake passes, shots, and cuts. Thats what we need again.

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd gladly give up that shit for putting it in the back of the net.

Not trying to bust on you but we have our own style. Hard work in the midfield, passes up front and score. Now this doesn't happen often against quality competition but we need to work on getting all three faces of our team in order. Easier said than done...

22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, thats what my buddy was saying, who just learning alot about soccer. He'd ask me when we were playing ireland, "they play really nice, and do cool stuff with the ball but why cant they put it in the back of the net?"

I'd tell him we lack people up front with that shot and killer instinct, but i have a good feeling just like i had about moreno that it will all soon piece together.

Give it time friends. Be patient.

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Is 48 years (49 next month) enough? :p

24. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Until we work out our defense problem, we're not going very far.

I learned that Peru sucks, and that we should have put them away if we were an average team. We didn't. We have good weapons, but we have serious defensive issues. All the options we have in the back are extremely limited. All the friendlies in the world are not going to increase our options out in the back.

Next time any of us goes to Bolivia, don't buy your little nephew or brother coka cola; feed them milk.