What was your favorite era/league in indoor history?

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by firesting81, May 12, 2020.

?

What was YOUR favorite?

1. NASL (1975-84)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MISL I (1978-1989)

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. MSL (1990-1992)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. NPSL (1990-2001)

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. CISL (1993-1997)

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. MISL II (2001-2008)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. MISL III (2008-2014)

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    And why? Guessing it was the from the first team you got into, but maybe not? What made that the “best” time to follow vs others?

2. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    The NASL indoor was before my time, but my experience with the MISL from 1982-1992 was the best.

Second favorite was the CISL.

Third favorite was the WISL (and I worked for the Utah Freezz in 2001).

Then the PASL (2008-2014)

MASL

NPSL

My least favorite was MISL 2 and MISL 3.

firesting81 repped this.
  3. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that today's players are bad, but the first MISL had the best talent of any of the indoor league's that came after it. It was also the most professionally run. It was easy to see that it was a major league. The others have all seemed to have a bit of a "minor league" feel to them.

4. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Kit said, but my Freshman year into the MISL was 1986-87, which was the Sidekicks run! HOOKED...

firesting81 repped this.
  5. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I voted in my own poll now. I’m sure there is a strong correlation in region + era one came of age in. If you’re in your 20s (especially in Baltimore or Philly), it’s probably the latter MISL 2 or 3. If you’re in your 30’s, it is probably (especially if you’re in Texas, California, Detroit, or DC) the CISL or (if in Cleveland, St. Louis, KC, or Harrisburg) NPSL. If you’re in your 40s or older (in any market), you probably prefer the original MISL.

The first two listed were before my time, if I was to rank, I would go...

1. CISL. Major league owners. Great names/logos, great arenas, quality broadcasts, TSI Soccer, internationally capped players.

2. NPSL. A lot of the above, but reduced marks for MPS, lesser venues, and less of what major league ownership brings.

3. MSL. I came right at the end of this era, but thanks to YouTube broadcasts, I can give the nod to this over the MISL II/XSL era only due to the latter’s use of MPS and downgrade in venues (apart from Milwaukee, Detroit, and New Jersey).

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    CISL, as my Pittsburgh Stingers avatar suggests. The team had a very short lifespan, but it was long enough to imprint some great memories on a kid who was starved for options to consume the sport in the 90s. A local soccer team playing in a major league arena was a huge deal to me.

7. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it me or does the Stingers logo look a lot like the Chicago Sting logo?

8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Their uniform with the hexagon trim on the sleeves might be in my top 20 all-time.