What was the Greatest Arsenal Goal EVER?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Neo¹, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I say this:
    [​IMG]

2. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    or maybe this:

[​IMG]

-N1

3. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Thierry Henry's back-to-goal flick over Barthez in like 2001, I believe it was...

4. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Or maybe Anders Limpar's chip from almost half-field in the 4-0 slaughter of the boys from Anfield in 1992. Pure skill...

5. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Thomas, Anfield '89. Duh.

6. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004

That goal is here

how do you make the goals into gifs?

7. Birdkamp

Birdkamp New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Calgary
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Factoring out importance and such, just based on the quality of the goal. Id say the Bergkamp one you have playing in your opening message.

8. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    no doubt about that one
    voted 2nd best EPL goal ever after guess who

Beckham shitbox from halfway
    he only won it coz of who he is

9. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
  10. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Even though I didn't see it live and know the inpact at the time, this is certainly the best goal ever.

11. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    importance wise
    which i guess implies greatest

12. Don King

Don King New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    1060 W. Addison
    Are we talking prettiest goal, most amazing goal, or greatest goal?

Bergkamp's goal would be in the running for prettiest, and Henry's goal against ManU might be the most amazing. But as far as greatest goal, I don't think there's any doubt that it was Thomas's goal at Anfield in 89.

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nope...

The greatest goal was Charlie George's Double winning goal of 1971 v Liverpool in the FA Cup. How many times have we won the Double? Twice since Wenger came. How many times did Man Utd or Liverpool win the Double? (Actually, I haven't bothered to check the Liverpool record...) But at the time we won the Double, we were only the second team to win the Double. If you look at the 70s, after we won the Double and before Liverpool had their ascension, 7 different teams in 8 eight years won the 1st Division. There was a parity that we'll not likely see again, and winning the Double was almost (I did say almost) as singular an event as going undefeated over an entire season.

I'm not sure who the real oldtimers on this board are, but I know we had clinched the 1st Division (I think the season was completed) when the FA Cup final rolled around, so when George hit his winner, it was more than just winning an FA Cup, it was the Double all at once.

Almost as an added bonus, it was a beautiful goal against a very fine goalkeeper, Ray Clemence, just as he was emerging as one of England's best keepers.

14. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Re: Nope...

The Bergkamp was the Greatest goal That Ive seen on live TV. But this thread was really my excuse to post it. :D (I couldnt wait till the New Castle game)

BTW Thanks for the Rep :D

-N1

15. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Re: Nope...

New and Improved version.

[​IMG]

-N1

16. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nayim... from the half way line. Oh, does it have to be scored for Arsenal?

17. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another one was Liam Brady's goal vs. Spurs...he stole the ball, dribbled with his left and curled it into the right hand corner.

Henry's goal vs. Manchester City last season was pretty good too.

18. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    you forgot to mention that this was during the says where it actually took something to make the ball curl rather than just kicking it anywhere

19. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

true, this was the late 70s when the soccer ball wasn't the type we have now.

20. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Now, for prettiest...

I really like Pires' goal v Aston Villa. The one where Freddie intercepts a pass in the middle of our half and three touches later, Pires has scored against Schmeichel.

A note to the Lehman haters, even the great ones get caught in no man's land. But of course, when they do, it's usually fatal...

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    For me, the Bergkamp one at the start is the greatest. The whole move, the way he had to beat the defender and then the finish past the keeper was pure genius. Henry's one was good, but it was basically an outrageous hit and hope effort. Bergkamp's one required a lot more skill to execute.

22. jpatel1508

jpatel1508 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    I don't know if some of you guys remember this but I think Arsenal's greattest ever goal was when Bergkamp did the 360 and curled the ball at the edge of the area against Sunderland in 97 or 98. Stephen Hughes scored a header in that game too. I think it was a cup game.

If you think that Newcastle goal was good, the Sunderland goal was very similar, except instead of sliding it pass the keeper, he curled it to the top right hand corner.

23. The Singer

The Singer New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Burnt Oak, N. London
    All the goals mentioned will have a place in everyone's heart. Trophy winning goals will always be special, but for me the goal which started our come back from years of obscurity in the eighties was Rocky's against the scum in the League Cupp semi final replay at Shite Fart Lane in 1987.

It kick-started our near domination under GG and we haven't really looked back.

I must also mention TAs goal against Everton in '98. Still brings a lump to my throat

24. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    As the best flash goal ever, I vote for Bergkamp vs. Newcastle (2002).

As the most meaningful goal, I vote for Thomas vs. Liverpool (1989).

25. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    And it took 5 posts for this to come up. Not the prettiest, but well known and one of, if not the, most important goals in Arsenal history.