What Two Teams Will Make It Out?

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What Two Will Advance?

1. Germany

91.8%
  2. Ghana

18.6%
  3. USA

41.4%
  4. Portugal

44.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jtsmith1

Jtsmith1 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What two teams will advance from the group of death (one of them)?

2. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    The USA has improved alot. Probably the best team I have seen from them . IMO not enough to to get out of this one . I say its :

Germany 9
    Portugal 6
    USA 3
    Ghana 0

Yvette Garrow repped this.
  3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Germany, as first of group
    Ghana, as second of group, in a very tight finish over Portugal and USA.
    ;)

4. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Although their league is arguably the best right now, I have a feeling the Germans will finally crumble under the stress of being favorites. I fucking hope so anyway...

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Germans don't crumble under stress. They don't even know what it is.

Guinho, Orlandinho, Plxix and 2 others repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, they sort of did against Italy in 2012. But yeah.... not in the group-stage.

LGRod repped this.
  7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Gotta be Germany and Portugal. Both teams that will find a way one way or another.

Too bad for USA and Ghana ... both good teams that could advance from some of the other groups out there

8. fatfan-labamba

Dec 14, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Germany I'm sure, The other is not so easy to call now that I think about it. I'll have to ask my clairvoyant, psychic rabbit what she thinks.

bloodyhand repped this.
  9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Germany and Ghana

10. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Not really stress, Loew was just tactically Naïve. Prandelli has good tactical awareness, just not as good as Del Bosque imo but Del Bosque has a much better squad than Prandelli 2 Years ago.

11. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Ask the refs....this group is so close that it will probably end up being decided by a bad refereeing decision or two...

12. El_Bulla

El_Bulla Member

Jan 21, 2007
    There's a lot of quality but I just think there's too much difference between the Portugal and the US/Ghana for either of the latter to realistically come second. Unless Portugal has a screw up, I think they and Germany finish with 6 and 9 points respectively.

13. CBWizard

CBWizard Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    I will take a chance on my team USA, they have beaten the pretender Portugal back in 2002 so cant see why they wont do it this time. This Portugal team is nowhere even as good as the 2002 team. I dont like our chance against Germany though, for some reason USA always performs poorly against the Germans. The projected scores for the 3 rounds of games are:

Germany 4-2 Portugal
    Ghaha 1-1 USA
    Germany 2-0 Ghana
    Portugal 0-3 USA
    Germany 4-1 USA
    Portugal 2-0 Ghana

Final Standings for Group G:
    1 Germany 3-0-0 9pts
    2 USA 1-1-1 4pts
    3 Portugal 1-0-2 3pts
    4 Ghana 0-1-2 1pt

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The US could very well beat Portugal, but 3:0? I know you jumped ahead of Portugal 3:0 in the 1st half in 2002 (ended up winning 3:2), but you aren't making a reasonable prediction at all.

15. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Here are my predicitions as of now:

Portugal 0-1 Germany
    USA 2-1 Ghana
    Portugal 0-0 USA
    Germany 2-1 Ghana

After two games:

Germany - 6
    USA - 4
    Portugal - 1
    Ghana -0

Germany 1-1 USA (since Germany will be able clinch the group with a draw and will play some subs)
    Portugal 1-1 Ghana

Final results:

Germany - 7
    USA - 5
    Portgual - 2
    Ghana - 1

It all really depends on two factors....how well the USA's inexperienced defense holds up, and what kind of mood CR7 is in. If the USA's defense plays solid and doesn't concede early goals, I think they make it through. If they give up goals inside the first ten minutes (like they did in 2010 against England and Ghana), or totally collapse (like they did in the opening match of 2006 against the Czech's), then they will almost certainly finish last. Since Portugal is a one-trick pony that is largely dependent on CR7 offensively, I think they will have difficulty scoring goals in 2014 much like they did in 2010, especially given the heat they will be playing in as well as CR7's tendency to get moody, petulant, and off his game at the first sign of trouble. He had a negligible impact at both WC 2006 & WC 2010, and I think that trend continues in 2014, especially given that Portgual has to play Germany in their opening match, and then the USA in the heat and humidity of the Amazonian jungle.

16. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So if Portugal is a 1 trick pony, does that mean the U.S.A is a no trick pony? Considering Portugals fifth best player would still be the U.S.A best player.

I also can't understand why 2010 means so much in your analysis, the team is completely different, and tactically they no longer place 9 guys behind the ball at all times.

What you write screams a lack of knowledge, but a massive amount of wishful thinking.

17. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    To address your points:

The US has a much more diverse attack, with multiple players equally likely to score goals, not one dominant player whom the rest of the team relies on.

The reason I place so much weight on WC 2010 is because it was the last time Portgual played meaningful matches against non-European competition, and because like WC 2014, it is being played outside of Europe. Portgual, like most UEFA sides, performs much better in Europe than outside of it. UEFA nations, Portugal included, did much better at WC 2006 than they did at WC 2002 and WC 2010, when measured by percentage of teams advancing to the 2nd round.

18. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    #18 benficafan3, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    :ROFLMAO:

What a poor, poor post. You should do some more research.

You think Portugal will have issues scoring in 2014, like in 2010? Well, if you knew anything about that team you'd know they were ultra-defensive. In fact, Portugal was the last team to suffer a goal in that World Cup. Believe it or not, being that defensive will hamper your goal-scoring abilities. If I'm not mistaken, actually, Ronaldo had a total of 2 goals in his time with Queiroz. He tends to have a slightly better record when Bento is on the bench.

This heat thing is getting too much. It's such a noticeable clutch at straws by the USMNT fans. FYI, these players grew up in a pretty hot climate. "But the humidity!!! Oh the humanity, the humidity". Don't worry, I see you hoping that the weather, of all things, will be what unsettles CR7, but fortunately he grew up on island called Madeira that is pretty humid itself.

I've mentioned the 2010 World Cup but you should really hold off and some more reading if you think Ronald had "negligible" impact at the 2006 World Cup. He was easily one of our best players and undoubtedly our best player in our most important game vs. France in the semi-finals. The only trend you need to be worried about is CR7's trend to score in every single game he plays in.

19. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about a terrible group for the USA to be in. Germany imo is the best team in the world and will win all 3 games. Portugal is interesting but if they play together and not just through Ronaldo they are through and will squeak by Ghana. I honestly don't see my country picking up points. Ghana owns us, Germany is full beast mode, and Portugal can abuse our awful wingbacks. Hope I'm wrong though.

20. CBWizard

CBWizard Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    We beat them 3-0 in 2002, when Portugal were 2-3 times stronger than they are now. US is perhaps about as good as they were 12 years ago, so its totally reasonable.

21. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Lol. Portugal were not 2-3 times stronger then. Our defense now is head and shoulders above that one. 2002 had a better midfield but our attack with Ronaldo is head, shoulders, chest, thighs, and feet above our attack in 2002.

The USMNT fans keep proving time and time again how misinformed they are.

22. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    3-0? I think whichever network you were watching on was having technical difficulty, it was 3-2.

Either way a loss is a loss, but I guess Switzerland should always expect to beat Spain, Senegal should always beat France and Cameroon should always beat Argentina.

I am in no way saying beating the U.S will be easy, but talent wise, Portugal is a few steps ahead, but that never guarantees victory. I have seen enough of the USMT to know they have the ability to play above the mediocre talent they field.

23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Are the US wingbacks so poor? If yes, than you have a big problem as Ghana, Germany and Portugal are best on the wings...

24. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most reasonable US fans know Portugal is better than us. It will be very hard for us to get points from any team in this group. We definitely have the minimum talent and guts though to pull an upset off, but we shouldn't be favored in any of the group matches.

25. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say poor but Fabian Johnson and Geoff Cameron (my guesses on the starters) are much better offensively than defensively. We will have to defend extremely well on the outside, as you said Ghana, Germany, and Portugal are all good on the wings.