What todays single table looks like...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by midwestsurfer, Aug 1, 2006.

1. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    So anyway, here is what an MLS single table would look like today if we had one. Whether or not single table will ever be more than a rumor/pipe dream its hard to say. But as everyone loves to talk about it. Here is my version.

1. FC Dallas 11-3-5 36PTS 19GMS
    2. DC United 9-6-2 33PTS 17GAMES
    3. Houston Dynamo 7-8-3 29PTS 18GMS
    4. Colorado Rapids 7-3-6 24PTS 16GMS
    5. Red Bull Ny 5-9-5 24PTS 19GAMES
    6. CD Chivas USA 6-5-6 23PTS 17GMS
    7. Chicago Fire 5-7-5 22PTS 17GAMES
    8. NE Revolution 5-7-6 22PTS 18GAMES
    9. Columbus Crew 4-8-5 20PTS 17GAMES
    10. Real Salt Lake 5-4-8 19PTS 18GAMES
    11. KC Wizards 5-2-9 17PTS 16GAMES
    12. LA Galazy 4-4-10 16PTS 18GAMES

-Everyteam only plays each other twice. Any matches beyond the first home and first away have been discarded.
    Throw in relegation and LA and KC would be walking a fine line right now. Anyway, just something fun to muse about waiting for Open Cup Results to come in.

http://mls3k.blogspot.com/

2. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *edited*

3. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Considering DC United has 45 points and has played 21 games, what the crap is this? Some FC Dallas bizarro universe?

4. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Everyteam only plays each other twice. ANY MATCHES BEYOND THE FIRST HOME AND FIRST AWAY HAVE BEEN DISCARDED.

Throw in relegation and LA and KC would be walking a fine line right now. Anyway, just something FUN to muse about waiting for Open Cup Results to come in."

RIF

5. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't read can you?

6. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Well the practice of just discarding matches because someone played someone else too many times was beyond the realm of stupidity I believed imaginable. All this bibble babble about "single table" is the world's worst misnomer considering apparently it's a balanced schedule people want. Wanting a single table means wanting one list. Why people can't bloody say what they bloody mean was just not in my mind at the time.

7. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Ya. I'm not saying it realistic. I just thought it was an interesting way of looking at the league.

Combining the two conferences into a single table to see how they are stacking up is a little unfair. So tossing out games to make them only play each other twice is the only way to even present a balanced single table.

8. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    I actually prefer a single table because I don't really see the point behind conferences in a new sport. I do prefer unbalanced scheduling though. I would rather see DC play New York, New England, and Chicago more often than the western teams. Same with LA and Chivas playing each other more. With a single table, the league could determine who needs to play more. Chicago and FCD need to play a lot (they're in opposite conferences right now).

Of course the league honchos probably think my ideas are exclusive to each other. I can deal with conferences if they would ditch some playoff spots. I would even be in favor of divisions when the league gets to 16 and 20 teams. I love seeing the Falcons play the Saints, Bucs, and Panthers twice because a lot of those fans are nearby. It's easier to feel a rivalry when the other team is so close.