What to look for in a hybrid?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dreamer, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Thinking about buying one soon.

2. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    If you're buying for financial reasons (gas prices) Look into one that you won't have to spend $6,000 on new batteries in three years. That costs more than gas.

If you're buying for environmental reasons, consider that those batteries aren't filled with liquid electricity, they're filled with caustic chemicals and acid.

Not saying you shouldn't consider one, but there is more to it than just saving money on gas, or using less of it.

3. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    oil is running out gas prince won't go down anymore. time to force the ignorants in the world to buy a hybrid. i can't believe those stupid people still complaining about the gas price. i hope they all get arrested so we can save the gas from depleting

4. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Don't buy a hybrid. The extra money you spend on the hybrid engine will equal out to what you pay for gas.

Diesel is something to consider, which should be relatively cheap, but in the US it isn't. I've heard there are ways to make it run off from (processed) vegetable oil...try googling it.

LPG - propane is another

They are developing a Hydrogen fuel cell based engine, if it ever becomes a production car, it will be cheaper to refill the tank than any of those above.

5. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Oh really? $6,000 new batteries? I did not know that.

6. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I should probably caveat that by "that's something I've heard" not stated as an actual fact.

7. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yea I've also heard that they are expensive, that's the "hidden" cost that most people don't take into consideration......

8. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I recently purchased a Scion xA, because the price of gas kept creeping up. Although not a hybrid, getting over 30mpg+ is a bonus to me. There is a whole class of gas cars that get 30+ mpg ...most are a bit on the ugly side, but i couldn't be happier with my Scion to be honest.

It may not be a hybrid, but I sure feel the difference in my pocket book, and have a car built by toyota. Quality, reliable, and good gas mileage. :)

9. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look NO FURTHER than this:

Lexus RX 400h
    [​IMG]

First ever hybrid luxury SUV. This thing gets 31 mpg in the city and is powered by a V6 engine (in addition to the electric motor) that gets 268 horsepower. This thing can smoke a Mercedes M-class right off the line.

I know that the point of getting a hybrid is not to be speeding all over the place, lol :D , but my point is that you get the complete package with this SUV and you'll be saving yourself a ton of money as well as the environment. I won't lie...this is a pricey car ($50,000) but if I had the money I'd buy one on the spot immediately.

Here's some more info on it:

http://www.lexus.com/models/rx_hybrid/index.html

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Turbo charged diesel engines can be a good alternative, most of those cars can run for 600 mi. or more with one fill up, there are also the upcoming generations of small capacity direct laminar injection turbo charged (the turbo is now used as a way to save fuel) engines working with gas. The fuel efficiency can be another argument regarding the oil prices growth.

But if you want to be a pioneer in the hybrid technology, why not after all, industries need those customers to enhance new concepts... ;)

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    In a recent NYT article, I learned that the hybrid technology is increasingly being used to increase power (e.g., Honda Accord hybrid) instead of gas mileage (e.g., Honda Civic hybrid). That's so sad.

12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that's true of some hybrids out there...but with this Lexus hybrid 31 mpg is SIGNIFICANT for an SUV of its size. Only the Ford Escape Hybrid gets better gas mileage. I'm hoping that as the size and power of the battery increases in the future, so can the gas mileage as a result.

13. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Isn't there a huge wait list for both the Escape Hybrid and the RX 400h?