What to do with a club trainer who uses profanity during practice?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Dustinho, Sep 12, 2007.

1. KornerKick

KornerKick New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    In our case my daughter made a plea to the club coaching director who said he would fix the problem. When it did not get fixed the team lost her (its top player) to the number one rival and then current State Cup Champion where she led her new team to another Championship while her old team lost in the first round.

2. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Here in Houston you could call the police.....That jerk need to be teach about the word respect .....Fire him

3. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the real world of competitive sports and training.....So, you think your daughter doesn't hear any of this at school ?

4. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I doubt his daughter hears her teachers telling her "You f***ing suck and don't know sh**".

5. Dustinho

Dustinho Member

May 12, 2000
    So Cal
    You are correct!

Everything has been put out in the open for coaches, parents and players to discuss. Basically everyone would rather just let it go and hope it will not happen again. They all believe that he will make their kids a star in college. It's sad but that's all they know and will continue to allow a coaching director take a club and ruin it!
    My daughter will not participate in any of his clinics that he does on a weekly basis now. She will stick to her caoches training sessions. Although it looks like changes will be made soon.

6. StormCoach

StormCoach New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I dont think its a big deal. My coaches (English, Irish) back in my U13-U18 days swore like sailors. Didnt make me swear. Parents get panties in a wad over stuff like this, you guys are talking about lawsuits? C'mon. Who got hurt? Who was wronged?

If he's saying 'You F*cking suck' to a kid, that's different.

7. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Apparently you did not read the original post. That is exactly the complaint.

8. StormCoach

StormCoach New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    "It could be a phrase such as, "You f***ing suck and don't know sh**"."

I took it as 'it could be' which is what he said. He did not confirm that, apparently he does not know. Quite honestly, young girls can be very dramatic about things like this, I would simply have the Club president or officers have a few 'sit ins' at practice to see exactly what is going on.

If he is berating/cursing the kids, he has no place in youth soccer. If he is simply using coarse language, then Id hope the parents griping about it dont let their kids watch tv, hang out with friends or go to school either, you know, to protect them from hearing such harsh language.

9. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I highly doubt the aggrieved parent/player has a cause of action, in California or any other state.

I would say put pressure on the coach and club via videotape and any and all other means available to u.

10. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's garbage for any youth coach. Discuss it with the club board. If they refuse to act, then publicize it. Maybe that will shame them into action.

11. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we wonder why talented soccer players quit.

Newsflash: telling someone they f*ing suck and that they don't know sh*t is NOT coaching. Coaching is identifying a weakness and how to fix it.

If you think this garbage is training anyone to be a better player, then YOU don't know sh*t.

12. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Damn straight saabrian. Maybe a few of the Dads should surround the trainer and call him the same names he's using on their daughters. See if he cries like a girly man or wants to play tough.

13. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    You make assumptions based on grammar in a website post? He described the situation. If you ignore parts of the original post based on grammar, then you are not addressing the same situation.

14. 0 Shots on goal

0 Shots on goal New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    * Make a note that I'm a male, as I imagine my feelings differ from females

Just because you disagree with a coach's style, doesn't mean its wrong. If you truly have a problem with this coach, you can do one of two things.

1) Leave the team
    2) Fire the coach

Some players respond well to being yelled at, and even better when profanity is used. Should this be the case? No, but it is. (Atleast in my experience)

Should coaches like this be sued? I disagree. This isn't a public school teacher, this is a private soccer club in which you aren't forced to be a part of... similarly, Private Schools can get away with much more than public schools, their students aren't forced to attend such schools.

15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I brought up the issue of suing the league because the OP mentioned that the club would not let him out of his contract. Once you have a contract, then you are forced to be a part of this league, and besides, your point about the public/private school dichotomy is not germane here. Private schools that allow corporal punishment have very circumscribed rules as to it's use and application, and that starts ABOVE the teacher thesedays. For the metaphor to carry over, this league would have to specify who is permitter to swear at students, what they are allowed to say and why it is the appropriate response. I doubt that is in any coaches' handbook.

16. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Not true when it comes to treatment of minors in their custody or control. Child abuse is regulated by state laws so it varies from state to state, but usually the same criminal statutes would prohibit abuse by both public and private school teachers. In most states I suspect that abuse is not defined to mean only physical abuse. If you want to find out specifics in your state, try googling. Now you might argue that coaching is not abuse, but under child welfare laws the one to make the initial determination of what conduct constitutes abuse is usually a female social worker, not a male soccer coach.

17. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    You're mixing apples with oranges.

Criminal culpability is different than civil liability.

I don't think that the conduct described rises to the level of "criminal" in California or any other state, certainly not Illinois.

As far as civil liability, well, it depends who you're suing and under what theory, but I don't think you're going to prevail with the facts presented and nothing more.

Just my two cents.

18. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Criminal statutes reflect community standards and provide standards of care for tort cases. To the coach or club, criminal actions and civil actions are both undesireable. My main point is that what you, I, or a soccer coach thinks doesn't matter if a social worker thinks its abuse. Even if the social worker is wrong, its a nightmare.

19. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Huh?

Try getting a states attorney/da to charge a case primarily based on what a social worker recommends. Good luck.

Not sure whether criminal statutes provide standards of care for tort cases or whether tort standards of care provide a basis for criminal liability.

In Illinois, there is no "child abuse" criminal statute, nor have I heard of it in any other state, and it certainly isn't a common law offense.

I think you're getting confused between civil liability and criminal culpability.

Simply because a party may be liable in tort doesn't necessarily mean there is corresponding criminal liability.

As far as I know, social workers are assigned primarily to domestic cases and in domestic situations, not ones involving private club coaches.

20. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    Im assumming you mean "vulgarity" as profanity is showing irreverence to anything considered sacred. Is the coach being condescending or other verbally abusive regardless of vernacular? Thats the real issue and not whether he said shit or ********. A person becoming offended by phonetics is of their own over sensitivity, and quite frankly, childish in my opinion. Now I do have a problem with him being derogatory regardless of his choice in words. So the question is- are you bothered that he uses the word "shit" or merely that he talks down to his players? I mean say if the keeper punted the ball from the her own 6 and scored, and the coach exclaimed "holy shit! that was amazing!" would you still be offended?

21. MustBeBlind

MustBeBlind New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    My opinion differs. In fact, a person not recognizing the inappropriateness of "vulgar" or "profane" language is, quite frankly, childish in MY opinion.

Yes, I would.

22. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I think we all recognize the difference between being abusive and vulgar. In some localities, vulgar language is an offense by itself without further elements and prosecuted, so don't think that being "merely" vulgar is always "safe" behavior. There is always "disturbing the peace" type offenses as well.

23. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    I said that on purpose to solicit a response from someone and you bit. Under WHOS authority are words like shit deemed inappropriate? Yours? Jesus Christ? Buddha? We can say phonetics "shhh" and "ihh" and thh but God freaking forbid we put them together to make a word out of them. What happens when we use these words? Are we doomed to hell or worse? Notice I said "freaking" instead of the inappropriate 4 letter word that starts with F and ends with k but I meant exactly the same sentiment. I suppose thats ok now since i censored myself with a word not considered vulgar. Then we have words like "poo poo" which cover up these evil words but in my opinion is more offensive than shit will ever be. But hey what authority am I to condemn this word to the title of vulgarity. Of course id NEVER tell you that you cant say poo poo any more either. Point being, the words are not the culprit; its the emotion behind them. So if you want to be speech nazi, we have to reduce every word to its precise meaning. Death to neologism! So no more metaphors, idioms, slang, or even euphemisms or somebody may take offense. Definitely no more similes because that would be just absurd saying "goodness Johnny you play keeper like fecal matter!" Of course im sure Johnny will still be offended even though that phrase is neither, obscene, profane, nor vulgar.

why?

24. MustBeBlind

MustBeBlind New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Mine.

Because I find vulgarities offensive.

25. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004

In exactly which locality is vulgarity itself a criminal offense? and prosecuted? Please enlighten me, because you seem to know more than I.

Disturbing the peace (breach of peace) requires more than mere vulgar words, at least here in Illinois.