What to do in Liverpool

Discussion in 'Arsenal Tickets and Travel' started by DallasGooner, Jul 31, 2007.

1. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So I decided to go to Liverpool to see Arsenal this year and since I have never been there want to spend an extra day or two there. What should I do? Where should I stay? Is the train (Virgin is what I have seen so far) the best way to get there? When should I get there? I arrive in London early Friday and the match in Sunday afternoon. The game has been moved by Sky already so I doubt it will be moved again. I will be with my wife too. This primarily a trip to watch Arsenal but would like to see some of the city while there so keep that in mind when recommending travel/hotel. I know the supporters club can assist with travel but want to get other ideas first.

Looks forward to your ideas. Thanks.

2. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    Beatles related attractions?

*Smacked myself when I realized that Abbey Road is in London. Shows how much of a fan I am.*

3. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    A few things while I have 5 mins!!!!

1. Book your train on www.thetrainline.co.uk it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than turning up on the day. You could get 30GBP return instead of 90GBP return per person!!
    2. One of the best positions for hotel is Premier Travel Inn which is on the docks. It is walking to the centre and near the Beatles museum and a load of nice restaurants and bars. Albert Dock Premier Travel Inn otherwise stay in one of the ones in the centre but it's nicer on the waterfront.
    3. See if Tranmere are playing on the Saturday as it is a good lower division side.
    4. Liverpool Tourist site
    5. Go to Chester, lovely town nearby and is very scenic and old fashioned.
    6. Manchester is a 40 minute train ride away so you could go there for a game/Old Trafford walk around.

4. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    when i was in Liverpool stayed here:

http://www.thistlehotels.com/thistl...eLocationInfo/index.jsp.1_A&_DAV=th-liverpool

Thistle Liverpool

it was nice. not sure how much or anything (organized trip through the school, so it was all a lump sum for everything)

did a Beatles tour, but again not sure who it was organized through. It was really awesome.

Hit up the Albert Docks. There is a Beatles Museum there (tacky and very touristy) but there are some other museums (Navy Museum and another one that I can't remember). Some of my friends went to the top of the Anglican Cathedral, which is massive. see for yourself!

[​IMG]

The catholic cathedral looks like a space ship, no joke.

We went to some Irish bar near The Cavern Club called Finnigan's Apple or something like that. they had music in the basement, it was fun. Also hit up The Grapes, which is across the street from The Cavern Club and saw Gerry from Gerry and the Pacemakers!

The Beatles tours are great though. Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, the church where John and Paul met (complete with a visit to the grave of Elenor Rigby, no not that Elenor Rigby ;) ) their houses, the cavern club, etc. etc.

5. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    speaking of beatles in London. if anyone is looking for Beatles stuff/British Invasion stuff go on this tour...

http://www.beatlesinlondon.com/

the guy is hysterical and it is really fun and all you have to do is show up at the designated meeting place at the designated time and pay him!

6. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Join the natives: steal hubcaps! :D :p

7. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  8. Schu419

Schu419 Member

May 17, 2006
    PA/NJ
    sorry to hijack this thread, but how many days would you guys estimate it's worth spending in Liverpool as a tourist. Will be there the week between Aug 20th and 27th at some point...plans unconfirmed at this point, but we could be there for any amount of time during that week.

9. dandydan

dandydan New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I am planning a trip to coincide with business travel to Ireland and am going to make the Portsmouth game on Sep 2nd. I was planning after my work is done in Ireland to fly to Scotland and do some family history searching before London. But, then I found out that Beatles week is in Liverpool the week through Aug 28th thus my plans have changed. I am now flying to Liverpool from Shannon to be in Liverpool for the last two days of Beatles week. Hundreds of bands and look like great fun! I can hardly wait.
    I will still make Edinburgh for two days before heading to London for the Gunners-Portsmouth match. If you are heading to Liverpool, look at The Cavern Club website especially if you will be there that week.
    Thanks for the train link Rick as I wasn't sure if I'd rent a car to drive to Edinburgh and then train to London. Maybe, I will train the whole thing now.

10. dandydan

dandydan New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Dude, Go to Liverpool for the at least the 26th and 27th for Beatles week! I will be at the Holiday Inn Liverpool Centre on the 27th and partying listening to Beatles music. Would be in for a meet up and beerfest with a fellow Gunner!

11. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Go to the pub. Meet rick & Co at the belmont(super nice folk). Get out of a taxi in front of Anfield and have a trout open the door for you and say, 'Needings to tickets to the match lad?'. There is a beatles tour. Lime Street Station(where you'll arrive) is close to various shops in case you want to look around. there is also a holiday inn near by too.

12. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did the Magical Mystery Tour two years ago and cheesy though the experience might be it's a must if you're a Beatles fan. The Beatles museum at the Albert Docks is pretty well done although a bit hagiographic (duh).

Any chance I had of extra sightseeing was ruined by delays with the train caused by someone vandalizing the tracks. Those delays cost me an extra hour or two getting up to Liverpool and I left pretty early in the morning as my train out of Euston station left at something like 6:30 in the morning. Fortunately for you it looks like you've got a little more time available to you than I did as I only did Liverpool as a day trip out of London.

I would have liked to have seen the cathedral up close. It's featured on the cover of Echo & the Bunnymen's "Live in Liverpool" which is how I immediately recognized it. I'm a little embarrassed that so much of my knowledge of the UK comes from British rock bands.:eek:

[​IMG]

13. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Been looking into hotels and seems almost most of them are full that weekend, none listed in this thread have availability. So may have to sacrifice where we stay to get a decent deal. Looks like £110-150/night to stay in City Centre and with the 2-1 exchange rate the better be some freaking nice rooms. Still working on this.

Rick, thanks for that train website. Cheapest by far, may even book first class its so cheap! :D

Should I look into a car hire or will I be ok just taking public transport and taxi if needed? Planing getting there Friday afternoon and leaving first thing Monday morning. So Friday night and all day Saturday for whatever. Sunday is pure football so no travel that day...maybe a little something Sunday morning but nothing that could risk being late to the match.

14. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i was there for 3 nights and two days. we did tons of stuff (all beatles/british invasion related) and it filled up all the time. If you want to do other stuff as well give an extra day.

like 1 day was the Beatles tour and the other day was the Beatles Museum in the morning (i went through this pretty quickly) and then a free late morning and afternoon.

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't get a car. The bus is a good mode of transport, but on match day I would get a taxi to Anfield. I think it costed about £6.

16. Frankgarrison

Frankgarrison Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I did a quick check and the Travelodge in the city centre shows availability at 85ppn double. I stayed here in 2003 and it was a fine establishment. Easy to get to from Liverpool Lime Street and not a far bus ride from Anfield.

I did the Beatles Story Museum during my visit there in 2003 and found it amazingly interesting in a corny sort of way. I wished I'd had more time to visit the city sights, but it was a football trip and had to set off for travel to the next match.

I'd echo what Rick said re: Tranmere. That would be a good place to see a match. I've been to a match there and it was enjoyable.

17. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just booked the hotel, Marriott City Centre. Booked to for $100/night (£49) and since the rate on the website is £150/night ($306) I feel pretty good about it. Does not seem to have free internet but oh well.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lpllp-liverpool-marriott-hotel-city-centre/

Did not book though that link. If you want to stay there also just let me know and I will explain the process but it requires a few steps and a little patience.

18. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What to do in Liverpool? Keep your hand on your wallet at all times, and if you have a car, make sure your hub caps are "double bolted" on ! :D