What to do about the NBA's image and problem players?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Ted Cikowski, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    The NBA has way too many idiots playing. Many people are turned off by them and the NBA isn't as popular as it was when Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Dr. J and Larry Bird played. Simply put: the NBA had plenty of likeable characters who were clean cut (for the most part) and now they have a league with guys who have felonies on their resumes.

So you have guys like Ron Artest, Allen Iverson, Rasheed Wallace, Chris Webber, The Portland Trailblazers and others who are perpetually getting into off the court fiasco's. The NBA usually just gives them a slap on the wrist and some token punishment. We're not just talking silly stuff either, NBA players get involved with sexual assault, having several children out of wedlock, dog fighting, physical assault and so on and so on.

People are getting sick of it though. Eventually only gangsta rappers will be watching the NBA.

Isn't it time to hand out stiff penalties to the repeat offenders?

The NBA would be a stronger league with more Grant Hills and Tim Duncans and less Ron Artests and Derrick Colemans.

discuss.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not just the NBA. I think our entire sporting landscape over the past 10-15 years has experianced a steady decline in profesionalism. Referees are disrespected at a much greater rate, becasue they may have missed a call. They have very little real control anymore. Altheltes are telling coaches what to do, college football has turned into a pre-game ultimate fighting match, baseball players are starting brawls, throwing chairs inot crowds, hitting defensless sausages with bats. Even the fans who used to just taunt and say ridicule the players are now tossing objects and exibiting typical lynch mob personalities.

Something must be done to bring respect back to the game cause it seems like more and more athletes are developing these bad traits. Would Jordan have ever done something like that? Would Larry Bird publicly critisize his coach? Would Army-Navy ever have a pre-game fight like what we saw today in Clemson? I hope the NBA makes examples of the players this time..some Rio Ferdinand ban type ********, and I hope every fan that had a hand in this is given maximum penaties becasue as a good sports fan I happen to like the fact I can enjoy a beer at the game and really don't want to see that taken away and I sure as hell don't want to see my team behave like a bunch of thugs..

3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ted, word is that it was your boy Reggie Miller who did a lot of the instigating. When Artest was lying on the scorer's table, Miller was chirping at Ben Wallace saying things like "you don't want any of this" as he patted Artest. This mocking of Wallace was heard by the fans and some got incensed.

4. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    The NBA blows. The product is such shyt since Jordan retired.

That fight won't help either.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source? Link?

6. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    NBA Sucks plain and simple. It has for a while. Too many retard players who think they can take over a game by themselves and lost all fundamentals. this is why International teams spank them left and right.

Havent watched this crap since the Jordan Bulls days.

7. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    The NBA doesn't have a problem worse than, say, the NFL.

8. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The source is John Mason, the Pistons public address announcer. I heard him say it twice on local sports talk radio.

9. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    I don't think the situation is really that much worse than it was back in the 70's and 80's. Situations just get a ton more press these days with ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, ESPNews, etc. I saw Linda Cohn go over that tape of the fight this morning for literally 20 minute on Sportscenter.

The problem isn't the NBA as a whole, its just a few certain players (most of whom have been named). MOst players in the NBA are still like the Duncans and Grant Hills. But when the Iversons, Artests, and Sprewells do something absurd, its front page news.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So Reggie shouts at an already control Wallace while at that point a calm Artest is lying on the scorers table. The fans who weren' being yelled (since it was Wallce that was being "chirped" at) decided not to throw stuff at Reggie who was doing the chirping, but instead Artest?

I'm sorry, but if anything, this makes Detroit fans and players sound and look even dumber than I gave them credit for.

But hey, thanks for the laugh.

11. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You almost made sense.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Right. Obviously, Reggie Miller is more to blame for all of this than the Detroit fans.

Idiot.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. The number of "Iversons" is alot higher now than then, and the number of "Duncans" who put them into their place is alot lower.

One Rubicon was crossed when Latrell Sprewell got a lucrative clothing endorsement deal. What the hell kind of message does that send??? (I won't include Ray Lewis, because while what he did was alot more serious, he legitimately has turned over a new leaf.)

14. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    There probably are a lot more of those thug type players. With all sports though, there is a bigger spotlight on them with all the media covering every tiny details of the sport (ESPN) that was absent 10-15 years ago.

I haven't heard anyone discussing the absurd start Lebron has had this season. he could have scored 100 points Friday night but people would still be talking about the fight.

15. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. If you're going to start egging things on and pouring fuel on the fire, expect and accept the consequences.

16. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    OK. So using your genius "Could the riot have been avoided after this incident?" test, how would you answer the question, "When Reggie Miller egged things on, could the riot have been avoided after this incident?"

That's what I thought. Please don't contradict yourself in the span of the same argument.

17. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would answer yes. See, it all comes back to Artest.

18. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    OK. But Miller should accept the consequences? You're not making any sense.

19. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey, the next time you attempt to neg rep me, make sure to hit "non-constructive" rather than "positive" like you did this time. Thanks for the rep bump!

20. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    I got ya Hang.

Bye bye 4th nipple!

21. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I use to be a huge NBA fan back when Jordan, Magic, Bird, Thomas, Dominique, The Admiral, Barkley, Stockton, Malone and those cats ruled the courts. Now it just lost it'sflavor and I think the level of tallent dropped. I use to like NBA over NFL and College Football but not anymore.