What the hell is Arena waiting for??

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stevedm, Sep 16, 2003.

1. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm...with "how to become a us citizen .gov" and the "I'm feeling lucky" button on Google, I was sent right to a page.

But I did find this: http://bensguide.gpo.gov/6-8/citizenship/citizenship.html Which might be of help to some BigSoccer posters who don't seem to be able to read at beyond 5th grade capacity. :D

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Look Damani Ralph has been playing great for about 4 or 5 months now. The article states that "Arena and the USSF have not even approached Damani yet about beginning the process of becoming a US citizen. This is stated directly by Damani's agent. I like Bruce in alot of ways but he makes alot of mistakes too. LIke during qualifying for the World Cup when we had a perfectly healthy Wynalda not being called up when we were short handed at the forward spot and ended up losing 3-2 againt Honduras at RFK. Not giving Taylor Twellman more chances at the forward spot to this point like Wynalda states in a recent article. Is Wynalda wrong to question Arena too? Look all I am sayign is that Damani could very well end up being snatched up by some British club this off season and he could end up becoming a English citizen and end up on the England national team. That could happen every easily too. I understand that it takes a while to get a US citizenship. I am shocked that has not even been approached for the possibility of such. A phone call, a letter, anything. Bruce is a good coach but he is arrogant sometimes. What is he gonna do?? Wait until Man U offers MLS 4 million for him and he is gone?? The first thing they will do is try to get him to become a English citizen. I guess Wynalda and I are in the same court about questioning Arena and the rational for his action or inaction.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Uhm. Last I checked we finished top 8 in the World Cup. Since when did Damani "flavor of the month" Ralph become the savior of US Soccer?

Really?

5. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Soccer America reports in its most recent issue that Ralph does not even have a green card yet. Even if he marries a US citizen, he is not eligible for US citizenship for at least 5 years. The Fire will have to free up a SI slot for him when he turns 23.

Ralph is going to play for Jamaica. End of story.

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Really.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I'm sorry--I love the guy, too, but did you read what you just wrote?

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Uhm. Last I checked England finished top 8 in the World Cup. Since when did Damani "flavor of the month" Ralph become the savior of British Soccer?

Really?

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comedy while under a hurricane. Nice.

10. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    He'll be in line right behind Michael Ricketts.

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, tell us more. Like, how long you've been in the country, whom you are married to, etc.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Nancy, that's nice and all. But since Bruce has done nothing to help American soccer, he needs to beg Damani to become a citizen because the kid has been hot for two months. :p

Why is it the coach's burden to chase down every player who might be playing well and might have an outside chance at playing for this country and encourage them to be a citizen? Especially when that coach pretty much blew away expectations in the last World Cup. The responsibility lies with the player, not the coach.

So, Steve, it isn't Bruce's arrogance. It's your ignorance.

13. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of agree-but your point about what Arena did in the last WC...I don't think that's really relevant.

I think he does have a responisbilty as a coach to evaluate talent, and exercise what may be defined as "competitive advantage."

I haven't read the whole thread, but did anyone bring up David Regis expedited citizenship:
    http://www.canoe.ca/SoccerWCPreMay21Stories/may13_reg.html

Whether it ever comes to this-if Ralph even rates as a Nat-all fair points. But Steve's point I think is fair as well re: Arena. I think it comes with the territory/responibilty of being a big-time, national team soccer coach.

14. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Are we sure we want a guy named "Ralph" on the NT anyway?

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if he is paired up top with a Potsie.

16. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say paired with a Norton, but I'd be showing my age...

Ray, David regis was a different case under a different coach...the same coach who experimented with guys like David Wagner and Michael Mason. Regis turned out a bit better then they did, though...

Didn't we go though pretty much this same discussion a year or two ago about Craig Zaidie???

17. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could drive the team bus!

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying that Bruce hasn't evaluated Ralph's talent? Have you talked to Bruce about that lately?

All we know is that Ralph's agent - and we HAVE to believe an agent - says Bruce hasn't called Ralph. maybe Bruce has looked at him, talked to his former top assistant, who just happens to be Ralph's coach, and made an assessment.

Maybe he hasn't, but I just love it when people assume that Bruce Arena spends his free time sitting on his couch, eating Doritos and watching Springer instead of doing his job. Just because he hasn't called Damani Ralph personally to discuss his citizenship status doesn't mean he hasn't taken a look at the situation.

My reference to the last WC was that Bruce has shown that he will evaluate all available talent. He had Cunningham and Mastro in his sights before they had citizenship. Who's to say he isn't keeping his eye on Ralph? But that doesn't mean he has to be responsible for Ralph becoming a citizen.

That's my point. People like Steve think that Bruce needs to do everything for these adults. He doesn't. He needs to coach soccer. If Damani Ralph is so interested in representing the U.S., he can get his own self to through the citizenship process.

A perfect example of why Sampson - who overreached and alienated his players in the process - is not with the program and Arena - who treats his players like adults and makes them be responsible for themselves - went to the WC quarters.

Forgive me if I think it's beyond the natural responsibilities for a coach - any coach - to hold the hand of a guy, who has lived in the country for five years and is a question mark at the international level, through the citizenship process.

19. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Ralph is no Adu anyway so who gives a crap what country he plays for.

20. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ]
    No, can't say that I have. :)

Really, my point is not to be as harshly critical as Steve is of Arena, but more expressing the feeling that when a player like Ralph pops up as he has this year, the questions that he raised are fair-even if they are a bit overwrought. Do I think Bruce should hold player's hands as you suggest? No, but I do think that if a player's talent is such that the coach needs to grease some wheels...well, I have no real problem with that-other countries have done it.

As I said, I have no idea if at the end of the day, Ralph even rates as a Nat, but his recent form, makes these sort of questions inevitable.

21. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its Steve's arrogance (he knows better than Bruce) and his ignorance. The idea that Bruce doesn't have at minimum indirect (through Sarachin) information on what the player wants is just laughable. But when people start saying he'll become an English citizen and play for England...

22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    From here.

23. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    But how's he going to get one if he's not a citizen? This whole thing is goofy. Ralph has played 20 or so games in MLS, and he's done well. Good for him, I wish him the best, etc., but it's ludicrous to think that Bruce Arena is going to start trying to hijack the citizenship process based on less than a full season.

24. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I posted it simply as the best proof we'll get that he is at least willing to play for the U.S.

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The questions are inevitable. The assumption that a national team coach - who has a good friend coaching this guy's club side - isn't keeping up with his progress is nothing short of stupid.

People who think that they are more on top of what's happening in MLS from their couch than Bruce Arena deserve to be called stupid.

Face it - Pat McCabe is just trying to earn his 10 percent and boost Damani's profile. Just because some suckers here buy it doesn't make it gospel.