What the Hell FSW?!!

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Cantona, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    too much eggnog.

Cantona---

2. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just finished a Boxing day feast.
    Three EPL matches from the comfort of my home.

Steven Hawking and Charro could do the commentary and I could live with it.

FSW shows HUNDREDS of quality matches each year, from leagues all over the world. If a couple of commentators are what you have to complain about, then you should start a stupid thread about it.

Oops. Too late.

3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ahhh the Sky feed and Martin Tyler calling the ManU-Boro match. Maybe they heard you Cantona? A Boxing Day delight.

Err.. I mean the day after Christmas. And it sucked. And where was Veronica Paysee with her pitch...err...field side insight. Down with England and the rest of the Axis of Evil. LETS ROLL!

4. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what my thinking was. Having their own comms insures that scores from games being shown later aren't given away.

5. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If thats the case - then it didnt work. There were a couple inferences of the Man U-Blackburn match result.

6. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud so that everyone in the house could hear. It was a fine day for soccer, wasn't it?

Just got FSW on 12/24. A little Christmas present to myself. :)

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Thanks, that oughta clear things up. I'm sure mr fsw producer won't provide any details, but does anybody else have an idea what these guys have said that might be considered offensive?

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Wait, am I hallucinating or was there JUST a post here from FSW Producer explaining that some fans had complained about the way the English announcers were talking about the Chinese players. With that post gone, mine (above) sounds pretty ridiculous, no? FSW Producer? Where art thou?

9. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

Don't hurt him Mike...for he knows not what he does.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, since nobody seems to care about my ON-TOPIC posts, I'll explain. I was not hallucinating - there WAS a statement here, briefly, in which a poster with the handle of "FSW Producer" explained that some viewers had complained about how the English announcers spoke of the Chinese players, so that - for the time being - games involving the teams that have Chinese players (Man City and Everton, is it?) would use FSW announcers. But then the post was yanked immediately, for some reason.

11. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the English announcers made insulting comments about the Chinese players? What statements were used to spark the complaints?

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    That's my question, too. The briefly-existent post went into no further details. Perhaps it was simply a matter of them (unfairly?) criticizing the players' abilities. Or maybe there was some wording which is considered a slur in the US but is not in the UK. Anybody have a clue? Whatever, if this was the real reason, it demonstrates that Chinese-Americans make up a good (and vocal!) segment of the FSW audience. Something I did not know.

13. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Jesus, you people...

Let me see if I have this right. A company is losing money to bring you live and tape delayed matches that you really, really want to see (and indeed, would have NO other way to see them)...and you're telling me that you WON'T watch anymore just because the announcers are annoying??

Yea, those guys really do suck. No way around it. They were annoying me all weekend. But, if I'm stuck with the choice of watching the Merseyside derby with lame announcers, or not watching it at all...well, that's a pretty easy choice.

What a bunch of f'ing ingrates.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember an FSW game, with the original announcers, calling a player a "Chinaman," which isn't PC. I think that word was used in the late 19th century in a derogatory way, but I'm not sure. Anyway, when I heard it on FSW, it really stuck out...sort of like if you hear a black person described as a Negro. It's just a word you don't hear here anymore.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    That's probably it, then. I've seen the same word used in reference to Inter's Uruguayan player Alvaro Recoba, whose nickname is "El Chino". To me, that stands on its own and doesn't need translating, but English articles tend to refer to him as "the Chinaman".

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    It's kind of similar to calling a black player a "boy". I think in other places, it's not such a problem, but in the US, forget it. I remember an old hockey announcer calling one of the first black players in the NHL a "boy", while praising his abilities. For the life of him, he couldn't figure out what the problem was. The history of black - and Asian - servitude in this country makes these words unacceptable here, whereas they might not have quite the same meaning elsewhere.

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall that "Chinaman" reference as well. It really jumped out at me because, as superdave points out, it's just not something you hear in the US. But the "El Chino" reference about Recoba, points out how differently these things are viewed in other societies. It's very common in Latin American broadcasts for the announcers to refer to players by some racial or ethnic term that would be completely unacceptable in the US. You can actually hear those terms pretty regularly on the FSE broadcasts from Argentina, Colombia, and Chile. In Brazil, some players' nicknames are based entirely on their racial or ethnic backgrounds (Preto, Indio, Pretinha, Alemao, etc.).

18. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    cj90red... thanks for the research...
    maybe you learned something.............

Boxing day indeed was a treat.... even the
    Sky feed.... lovely....

regarding this chinese thing.. TWI had complaints
    from S.Africans regarding the pronounciation of
    Lucas Radabe'.... they corrected themselves..

to everyone who says dont complain at least your
    watching it... your wrong... the feeds are already
    in the contract... you actually are paying these
    two idiots to do what already is being done...

so you getting less for more...

doesnt make business sense does it....

about the spoiler thing... i think most people
    realise now that on sunday the live game is played
    after the delayed FSW game... most just time shift

there have been many complaints to FSW.... maybe
    they ARE listening.....

Cantona---

19. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that you complain too much. How about talking about the match itself instead of who's calling or not calling the match. And for christ sake RELAX and enjoy the beautiful game. Life's too short to get angry over a little thing.

20. Fkesoccer

Fkesoccer New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Just a difference of countries, thats all.

21. futbolnut

futbolnut Member

Dec 24, 2002
    St. Louis
    FSW announcers

Hey, I don't think anyone should be termed a whiner because the FSW announcers are not their number one choice. Hell, I'd still watch no matter who was calling the game.
    I sure would like to see some official confirmation that the "chinaman" thing caused the change. Anyway, it seems we're back to normal on the broadcasts for now.

22. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I have to agree. The announcers were bad. I don't get FSW so thankfully I don't have to hear them that much. It was great hearing Martin Tyler and Ian Darke and whoever else does the Sunday matches. That reminds me. The guy who did the Bundesliga en Espanol was good. He at least didn't try to talk a mile a minute and allowed for the crowd to make some noise instead of talking over them.