What the heck is the USWNT supposed to do with Carli Lloyd?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FanOfFutbol, Jan 29, 2020.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    IMO, in a sense yes, but I maybe feel a little more confident in her than I did at the end of last year. That is, she seems to me to have lost just a tiny bit of speed and reflex and maybe hops-- which is after all only to be expected-- but to be adapting better. Last year it seemed like she was consciously trying to be more conservative overall, and now it feels like she's just picking spots a little more carefully.

That's just a tentative opinion, and I'm certainly not feeling like the "all through" warning buzzer is going off yet. And I think Ali got the start there just because at some point you have to give her one to get a sense if it is reasonable to think she can back up the position. And I thought she played great.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Not as, no-- but it is still a part of their game.

Also Sinclair seems to me to have lost a little weight--not that she was fat, but she looks a little gaunter, stringier, and seems to have regained a half step and be distinctly lighter on her feet...

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    OTOH, looking at today's lineup, maybe she picked up a knock?

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I think we've seen the future for Lloyd and Heath vs Canada. I suspect one or both won't go to the Olympics, just as Abby didnt. Both have lost 2 steps and the game is too fast for them now.

5. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Vlatko really hasn't shown his hand yet. (And no reason why he should until he has to do so.) It would be a dramatic move for a new coach to keep Lloyd, Heath, or both off the Olympic team. The same if Morgan feels she's ready to play and Vlatko isn't satisfied with what he sees. This will be very interesting to watch.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Let me drop a name on you.... Sydney Leroux. Never came back after her baby. In Morgan's case.... who knows ... possibly a move to an outside position might work if she still has the wheels? Shes a speed player more than a 1/2 field player and Im not sure her speed as as important as it once was. Time will tell

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heath not on the team? Isn't going to happen.

Morgan? That should be a pretty easy one for Vlatko to say "no" to. He simply can say that in his opinion, she isn't ready. Plus, I've started wondering if Morgan is going to be as good a fit with the way the team is playing. After Abby retired, for a while the offense was built around Morgan. Especially now with her off on leave, I don't think that's the case. I'll be surprised when she's back if the team goes back to the offense built around her.

Mills repped this.