What the heck is the USWNT supposed to do with Carli Lloyd?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FanOfFutbol, Jan 29, 2020.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Sorry-- must have misread the date on the announcement I saw, and it was old?

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thank you.

3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone remind me why at around 1AM pacific time, “Carli” is trending and there’s over 3,600 tweets from twitter bashing and criticizing a pre-season Carli Lloyd? Does Lloyd have to now score 5 goals in one game to hush everyone up? Does Alex Morgan get the same amount of hate when she doesn’t score goals or does she get a break because she’s a cute girl next door media darling? I seriously don’t understand this weird social media trend going on where all of a sudden, everyone is a Christen Press Stan and Lloyd is an evil person manipulating Vlatko under her control..... it’s all so silly to me.

I’m not saying don’t criticize Lloyd btw, I just find it funny there’s like over 3,600 tweets bashing her for skying a ball....she’s done those mistakes before, it used to be her routine in her 20s many moons ago. These people must be 14 years old or something... who knows, maybe I’m getting too old for social media.

Bob Lamm and jackdoggy repped this.
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Funny, I get a completely different take when I search on #CarlyLloyd ...

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m getting #carli as the trend not #CarlyLloyd and it’s over 3600 tweets bashing her for some reason, apparently there’s some stupid conspiracy that she has blackmailed or brainwashed Vlatko into starting her over Christen Press.

My thoughts? She has a chance to redeem herself coming in as a sub on Sunday. Yes, I know she has only scored one goal so far and Press has scored many more...I’m just perplexed how much hate Lloyd has sparked during this tournament. Honestly, I’ve seen worse from her in previous tournaments. If she doesn’t produce in the next series of friendlies, then yes she doesn’t deserve a roster spot, but if she scores 10 goals in the next 7 matches, it’s hard to leave her off.

6. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Start her and watch the goals fly in and wins pile up?

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to guess that some of it has to do with her public comments about deserving to start under Ellis. She's now getting the chance, and she's not showing that she was more deserving to start over others. I don't think she's played well, but not worthy of any hate either. No one played well in the Haiti game, so I don't think her poor play in that game should be counted against her. And she played fairly well against Costa Rica, but not against Mexico. So, overall, not her best tournament. My opinion: she should be benched to see if another forward can do better, but by no means is it time to cut her from the team.

A lot of it is probably from people who really don't follow the team, and don't realize that she has been the first backup for Morgan for the entire past cycle. So it's pretty natural that she's starting with Morgan out. It's not a conspiracy.

blissett repped this.
  8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I can't imagine her not starting against Canada; roster's not big enough to be all-new, and somebody's gotta put a little fear into them or they'll beat the crap out of anyone they can. And that's one of her specialties...

I don't think she's been bad this tournament over all-- just hasn't shot well, which IIRC has often been true of her this time of year.

Lloyd, Horan, Mewis, MacDonald seem like necessities to me against Canada. I might put JJ at center back-- she's more exposed as the midfield destroyer, and you really don't want her getting hurt before the Olympics (or in them)

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That may well be why she started over Carli and Press in the WC.

btw, don't use the word "girl" wrt and adult female. It's demeaning.

btw btw, I think Press is cuter.

In her 20's she was playing as a 6 or 8. The expectations were totally different than from a 9.

For myself, I don't think she should just be handed the job b/c Alex is out. I'd be giving Horan minutes there. I think Horan is probably a better 9 at this point in time. All of Horan, Carli, Press, Lynn, and McDonald should be getting a crack at it, based on what I've seen.

But, there is limited time. It will be Carli. And, if Morgan is practicing, it's going to be very hard to leave her off the roster because ….. politics.

If she's practicing and gets left off, she's going to holla discrimination.

10. hellraiser-82

hellraiser-82 Member

May 17, 2004
    buffalo ny
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd and Rapinoe really showing their age in the Mexico game.

fanatica repped this.
  11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    But we had two assists vs. Mex. One was by Pinoe and the other one was by Pinoe.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, I hope she starts scoring more than Carli, she is a lot younger. No matter what you think of Carli, she won’t be in the next WWC. But her flurries of goals seem to come against minnows. When she starts scoring against top 10 teams at Carli’s rate, she will win me over. Of her 56 goals, only about 9 are in that category. She certainly has no hat tricks in tournaments against the top 10.

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lloyd was born on July 16, 1982 and Press on December 29, 1988 that makes their age difference about 6 1/2 years and I do not really consider that a lot of difference. However Lloyd is in the "threshold" age category where it becomes harder and harder to be in top condition. From what I have been told it is pretty much equally hard for men and women and I remember that it became real hard for me to recover from even minor injuries as I approached and passed 40.

That does not mean she cannot be a top performer even through the next WWC it just means that it will be harder and the difficulty will ramp up rapidly for the next several years.

The problem is that she seems to really be having accuracy problems. Problems of that nature happen. We all have seen that Press has had them at the national team level in the not too distant past but she seems to have worked hard to correct those problems and she seem to have succeeded so her production has gone way up. Lloyd, on the other hand, has gone in the other direction and needs to work to get her mojo back.

I do not think, however, that it is a choice between Lloyd and Press as they play VERY different styles and should complement each other. Lloyd is about the closest we have to a true center forward while Press seems to work better coming in from wider positions. Press's real direct competition is from Rapinoe and Rapinoe is younger than Lloyd being born July 5, 1985. Press needs to add one thing to be a viable replacement for Rapinoe and that is free kicks particularly corner kicks. As of now Rapinoe is better on free kicks.

Ideally we would take both for their different talents BUT there is only roster space for 16 field players and that does not leave much room to take two forwards that do much the same thing. Press is faster but Rapinoe is better at free kicks and has more experience. That decision might not be finally made until a week or less before the rosters have to be submitted. Injuries are always possible and the coach could take Lloyd, Press and Rapinoe and leave someone else behind or he could take one or even none of those to allow others that he feels are better for the team.

There is a long way to go and a lot can happen. This kind of decision is why the coach gets the big bucks.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    don't comment on a woman’s cuteness in a conversation about work skills. It’s demeaning.

McSkillz and Bob Lamm repped this.
  15. fanatica

fanatica New Member

LAFC
    United States
    Feb 6, 2020
    But look at MR’s (lack of) movement and overall poor production. The entire front line was weak until Press and Williams entered the game. All back and midfield to that point.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    You bring your speed in when the other guys are tired and used to timing your other guys, that's pretty much bound to happen, isn't it? Whole reason for doing that?

jnielsen repped this.
  17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There are basically three ways to use parts of the puzzle like Press and Rapinoe represent:
    1. Use the speed player (Press) for the first 60 minutes and then bring the precision player (Rapinoe) to pick apart the tired defense with precise passes and set pieces.
    2. Use the precision player to tire out the defense by requiring them to be extra careful and tight on their marks and then bring in the speed player to run at tired defense.
    2. Play both at the same time with the speed player usually wide and the precision player more central. This is quite effectiv and I think we should use it more.

The only real problem with #3 is that it would mean that Rapinoe would need to be more central or at least a bit withdrawn and I am not sure she is comfortable it that roll.

Another way it can work is for the precision player to play a traditional center forward roll holding up the ball and distributing to speed players. Again I am not sure Rapinoe is well suited to that kind of play either. Lloyd is much better with the hold up and distribute. Horan is, in my opinion, even better at that and she might be a good choice.

I like the idea of Horan in the middle and Rapinoe on the left and Press om the right. That gets those three on the field in good positions for them and it gets our currently most productive forward, Press, on the field and keeps our best free kick taker in her best position.

I know Horan is not, generally, considered a center forward but she has many of the attributes wanted in that position and her good passing is just gravy. We have enough other really good mids that moving Horan forward would not hurt.

I guess I am just speculating as neither coach this team has had have really tried not having Lloyd or Morgan or some other traditional center forward on the field very much but I think Horan in the middle with Press and Rapinoe out wide could be a real good combo.

18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I am all for giving Lindsay a long look at the 9. To me, she's more of a 9 than anyone we have, or anyone we have had for a long time. Like, Akers was a better 9, but who else? The fact that Lindsay is an excellent passer is pure gravy, or pure guava, depending on your palette. But, it's fantastic.

On the topic of players that play a role that we haven't had in generations - and I'm getting off topic, Rose is the best playmaker we've had since maybe when Mia played in the midfield when she was a teenager.

The closest comparisons I can think of were Milly and Lilly. They both could pass really well Milly could slice defenses on the dribble. But, young Mia, Lilly, Milly, that's getting to be a long time ago. Rose is the best playmaker we've had in a long long time. Not saying she's the equal Mia, Milly, and Lilly, they were fantastic scorers.

Imo, if we start off with Horan at 9, Rose at 10, Mewis at 8, Ertz at 6, when have we been stronger in the spine?

Regarding Pinoe, she's and Carli are similar conundrums. We don't have anyone else that is as savagely goal hungry as Carli and we don't have anyone else that can play in a ball from wide like Pinoe. And, when we go with the slow wingers (Pinoe and Tobin) that's going to have to be our game. We have nothing else. At this point in their careers, there is no such thing as playing Pinoe, Carli, or Tobin through.

I said before the WC that Pinoe and Tobin were an either/or. We couldn't have both of them on the field b/c we'd be too slow in the attack. To my surprise, it worked out great.

I conclude that our team defense must have been incredible. Yes, our possession was great to get the ball slowly up into dangerous areas. But, you've got to have the ball - a lot of the ball - to basically never have a quick strike goal, and still win every match.

So, ya, I'd like to see Press on the field for either Pinoe or Tobin.

And, final aside, it's amazing how Mal isn't really in discussions any more. I've only seen Sophia Smith play against college competition, but she is a real threat to supplant Pugh.

19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Absolutely true. And I would never have, except that McSkills had called Alex a "cute girl next door.." Frankly, I don't know why you, Clive, are commenting on my post, and not McSkillz's post. She introduced the topic of appearance.

I was on the fence about posting that. But, I came down on the side that if I let McSkillz conjecture that Morgan plays because she's the cutest stand without comment, that would be a tacit agreement that Morgan is the cutest.

If I was WNT player, I'd be sick to death of hearing that Morgan is the cutest and "Most Marketable" (i.e., cutest). So, I made an honest reply on a topic that McSkillz created. I think your beef is with McSkillz, but ya, I agree with you on general principal. Let's not refer to any player as a "girl" (unless they're under 18) and let's not bring their appearance into the discussion.

Lastly, it would be comical if women were held to the same standard. Wife and I were watching a beachfront bargain hunt the other night and a woman said in a sexy way "I could stand on this pier and pick out surfers (to approach) allll dayyyy." Wife and I were laughing about if they'd shown a man making that comment about women.

But, ya, I'm wittya.

Namdynamo and jnielsen repped this.
  20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I think Canada has gotten away from thug-ball, also known as the Tancredi Stomp.

21. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm staying out of this debate but enjoying the read.
    [​IMG]

jnielsen repped this.
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I just watched them against CR, and no they haven't.

They didn't stomp anybody maybe, but they were definitely using size and strength to bounce bodies and intimidate; and what else can they do to create a little separation against us?

jnielsen repped this.
  23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    @RalleeMonkey It almost sounds like you are advocating a form of 433

The front three would be: Rapinoe -- Horan -- Press
    Midfield in a triangle like- - - - - - Mewis ----Lavelle
    ---------------------------------------------------------Ertz
    defense like -----------Dunn---Dahlkemper---Krieger---O'hara
    Goalkeeper to be determined as I do not really see any of what is currently in the pool as a lot better than the others. I know the coaches seem to think we have a clear number one but I see too many weaknesses to lock anyone as number one.

With Dunn and Krieger attacking up the wings I see this getting goals against almost anybody.

With Ertz playing like she is able I could play defense behind her. The fact that we have several really good defenders in the back central is another case of gravy.

24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That works for me. I was hoping to see Dunn get a shot in the attack with the new manager. And, for me, between Pinoe and Tobin, it's a "pick 'em." But, ya, that works for me.

Question - has Brunn's game fallen off?

25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thank you for the feedback. My impression from the WC was that they weren't so thuggy. But, I'll defer to your more recent observations.