What the heck is Atlanta doing?

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by crog1967, Oct 29, 2009.

1. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so we've got no stadium, no goal keeper, and so far our marquee player is Sharolta Nonen. I've got nothing against Nonen. She's a solid player and a good addition to any squad, but not exactly a cornerstone upon which to build a soccer dynasty.

Philly on the other hand has been busy putting together a solid squad that should be competitive right away.

Anyone else a little worried?

2. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    no news on any internationals yet? if they don't make any moves and just go through the college draft i can't see them doing very well.

3. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. They needed a keeper. Whitworth is from B-ham. She seems to be pretty high quality -- at least she did well when Barnhart was w/ the WNT.

It is interesting that b/f the expansion draft, we all figured the 2 expansion teams needed keepers and that 2 of Henderson, Whitworth, and Loyden would end up w/ the 2 expansion teams. When all three were protected, we were curious (I was, anyway) as to what was going on. I guess both teams (Sol & FCGP) figured the need for a keeper was great enough that they could get something of value for the keepers.

5. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move for the Beat!

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Apparently, they're following the model of the Silverbacks, you know, don't do any advertising or marketing, just throw the gates open on Game Day, and then wonder why nobody shows up. The WUSA Beat were in Atlanta's face nearly a year before they played a game.

Oh, that's right, I forgot; advertising doesn't work. :rolleyes:

And FC Gold Pride? If I hadn't seen the website and actually looked up the stadium), I would have had no idea from where they were.

7. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
  8. atlanta_beat_fan

atlanta_beat_fan New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    David, last I checked the WUSA Beat went out of business. Maybe a new model is in order.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are ways to get/keep the team in the public eye that don't necessarily cost as much as WUSA burned through (although, I don't think advertising was the major culprit there). Boston & Chicago did a lot to build their presence & brand in their cities that were relatively cheap. I don't think it is a coincidence that those two teams had some of the best attendance figures.

eta: One can hope they are waiting for a stadium deal for the full-court press. And the women's pro sports landscape in Atlanta was on edge w/ the delicate future of the Dream. But now that they've got a new ownership group, there might be more oxygen for the Beat.

10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Yeah, that "new model" worked really well for the Silverbacks. :rolleyes:

11. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta just signed free agent Stacy Bishop. I don't know too much about her, but looking at Boston's stats last year she played in 10 games (starting 6) and had 2 assists.

12. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Open tryouts this weekend. I think they will have a good number of GK there. Any way to find out who will be there?

13. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well we can't even find out where they will be playing 5-6 months from now so I doubt it.

14. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a solid starting keeper now. I think Whitworth will really prove herself this season. Unfortunately, she might also have more shots taken against her than anyone else in the league.

Bishop was a decent pick up. We still don't have a big name to put butts in seats. Maybe they are hoping Tobin Heath will become that name.

15. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Bachmann to Atlanta
    While football is clearly nothing speaks more and more to Ramona Bachmann leaving Umeå IK. On Monday she goes to Atlanta to get acquainted with the club.
    - Many superstars have moved to the USA and I want to play with superstars, "she says.

Since Umeå IK Marta left a year ago, the club's biggest fixed star was Ramona Bachmann. The Swiss striker won Umeå IK's internal Skytteliga during the past season and was at times Damallsvenskan most dominant player. But now she can soon be lost for Umeå IK and Damallsvenskan.

Difficult decisions

After the end of the season went Ramona Bachmann
    After the end of the season Ramona Bachmann went home to Switzerland in order to, together with his family and friends, thinking about the future should provide continued playing with the Umeå IK or a move to Atlanta and play in the Women's Professional Soccer. And thinking she has done.

- It's a very difficult decision and I intend to let it take time. Umeå IK said I was happy to take time for me, only I would make the right decision. Atlanta wanted a quicker decision. But I told them that if they wanted any chance they would be allowed to wait, "says Bachmann.

Atlanta seems to have learned their lesson. Now, the fact invited Ramona Bachmann and her father to Atlanta so that she can be given a chance to familiarize themselves with the new town and the new club. On Monday, the traveling father and daughter Bachmann to Atlanta where they stay until Friday.

- It's not that I'm going to go there and sign a contract, I want to see where it is I run and I think it will be easier to make a decision then, "she says and continues:

- It was the same thing before I moved to Umeå, when I went up there and auditioned.

Bachmann thrive very well in Umeå, and last summer she said that as long Umeå has a good team was very good chances that she would stay on next season.

Play with the stars

- Many good players have of course disappeared, so it looks good not as good for Umeå now, "she says.

- I want to play a good team with many superstars, and now there are many people who move to the United States.

Although thus far points to a move to Atlanta, she maintains Umeå still very much an option.

- I must know for what I want myself and I like Umeå. When I returned from the USA, I put myself down and thought

rough translation about bachmann, it does look like atlanta may be in the drivers seat over umea

http://www.vk.se/Article.jsp?article=315177

16. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Atlanta should have taken Sue Weber. She is a solid player with Georgia ties. I also hope they draft Megan Tomlinson, Kerri Patterson and Michelle Betos all of UGA.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on the contract negotiations w/ Yamaguchi?

18. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I believe Atlanta announced the Yamaguchi signing a couple of weeks ago.

19. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I see Yamaguchi is listed by the JFA as being a Beat player now, so thats confirmation. I think she will be a major addition to them.

20. ATL PrimeTime

ATL PrimeTime New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things have changed a good bit since this thread was originally posted. We may not see advertising everywhere but it seems as if everything else has fallen into place nicely. Check out interview with Atlanta Beat GM Shawn McGee. http://tinyurl.com/yhggz72

21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the story on Noelle Keselica getting waived? I just saw it on Twitter.

22. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    So that you know, Noelle tore her ACL in the off-season. As such, she is not going to be ready to play until someitme in August and we jsut are not able to hole the spot for her...the rosters spots are just to valuable. we are hoping that she has a successful surgery and rehab...and then comes to play fro us next year.

Also, on Carrie Patterson (as I am sure that people will ask), we released her, as she was gong to have a hard time making our 22, but Philly belives that she can make their 18. Gareth and Carrie talked and both felt that the best thing was for us to let her go now, so she could have a full tryout at Philly.

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad for Noelle. Hope she recovers well. Good luck to both Noelle and Carrie.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I hate hearing about these injuries before the season even begins. It's so depressing because these athletes are looking forward to playing in this exciting new league (and it's still a fairly new league, whether they played in it last year or not). Injuries and time away from the game only hurts your job security in this league right now (unless you're an all-star), because spots are becoming more of a premium with each passing day. Out of the 60 collegiate draft picks (or however many there were in the 2010 WPS college draft), I bet less than half of those college rookies even make a WPS roster this year. The Sol losing their franchise hurt the collegiate middle and late round draft picks the most from this year's college draft. 18 players who would have made the WPS, will not be in the WPS this year (because of the loss of the Sol franchise), and I bet most of those 18 who suffer that come from this college draft. There's always next year, if the Sol come back and/or another expansion franchise joins the league, but you've got another college draft (not as deep), and more and more internationals will be coming over. The league may have to move up to 6 international slots by next year. You can't keep that kind of talent away from the league. It also draws the "foreign" American civilians to the matches, which represents a fairly large portion of the attendance if you've ever been to a match. The international presence is too important. If you've got more "prominent" (WPS worthy) Europeans, Brazilians, Canadians, Australians, and Asians wanting to come over, you can't turn them away. The league will continue to grow among the internationals coming over (like it has from year-1 to year-2 already).

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are more WPS roster spots for 2010 than there were in 2009. The loss of the Sol hurts but there are more WPS roster spots in 2010 than there were in 2009. In most sports, the step from collegiate to professional ranks is so steep that most athletes do not make it. I do agree that 7 rounds for the 2010 WPS draft was excessive.

In other professional sports, how many drafted players actually make a roster? How many rounds is the MLS draft? How many players make a game day roster? How many rounds is the NBA draft? How many players make a game day roster? How many rounds is the WNBA draft? How many players make a game day roster? Professional sports is a tough, tough business. WPS is no different.

I see no reason to increase the number of international slots. Just because someone wants to work for a company doesn't mean that company is obligated to create an opening for them. The primary purpose of WPS as it relates to player development is to provide a place for American talent to grow and develop.