What Team should I support - Part 2 (cont)

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Rick B, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    The Houston Oilers.

2. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota Vikings. Great fan base, 41 year old quarterback. We usually have a good team but have never won a championship, so no one can acuse you of being a glory hunter. The Jets are by far the most arrogant team this year. No need to follow those egomaniacs unless you roll like that :cool:

3. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Purple though? I don't think I could go for that.

4. loofa

loofa Member

Jan 26, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they are that arrogant. They have a fun coach that will always say something interesting to land himself in the headlines.

5. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok maybe not "arrogance" but definitely a swagger. They're going to be VERY good this year.

6. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh right our unfortunate purple and yellow. We've embraced the colors even though they are utter crap. The "Purple People Eaters" were the most feared defense in the 70's. Here's our logo, original from the 1960 team.

[​IMG]

7. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Well I bought Madden 11 today to try and get into it, since I actually need to learn something about NFL to start with, and after closing my eyes and randomly choosing a team to start with I got the Chicago Bears, so I'm probably going to stick with them for a while. I just couldn't embrace that purple and yellow like you lads have, it makes me feel sick just looking at it (maybe that's why they are so good.)

I also entered that NFL Fantasy Football on the NFL website, but I'm just in some random shitty league with some shitty players whos names mean nothing to me. Anyone have any interest in joining a league on there if I set it up?

8. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They looked pretty good against Wigan last weekend ;)

9. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    It was more of Wigan being hopeless, and Blackpool took it to them as they wanted to prove something. I've never seen a worse Premiership defensive performance than Wigan's in that game, defenders stopped still in the middle of play, ran in opposite directions to what they should be, and at times just decided to drift up the field as if they thought they were Beckenbauer, it was painful, and it just opened up opportunities for Blackpool to get shots away. If it wasn't for Kirkland pretending to be Robert Green it could have been 1-0 and a totally different game. Still, it should have been 8-0 with the chances they had.

10. Boroball1

Boroball1 New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
  11. $crooge

$crooge Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Mainz, Germany
    Club:
    FSV Mainz 05
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What team do football fans in Kent support? Does Gillingham have many supporters?

I'm guessing most people in Kent root for some London team in the top two leagues. If so, which one? West Ham maybe? :confused:

12. newyorkastle

newyorkastle New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    They support caen or Lille

Actually it's much more likely Kent is loaded with Chelsea arsenal and Manchester united supporters

Here in the US it seems barca is team du jour. I see a lot if barca shirts roaming around. Surely those new fans go on and on about the tradition and the various league championships to others that have no idea la liga is a two horse race 95% of time

13. tumultkb

tumultkb New Member

May 24, 2010
    Scouser
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yes you are right, which is why people usually say, feel sorry for man u fans what with all that travelling

14. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Gillingham has like 10 supporters. People from Kent will just support London clubs.

15. BigBe

BigBe New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Paris, France
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal .....till die

16. TheHammers

TheHammers New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    My bff jills house
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ Wrong

It's West Ham till I die!

17. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved seeing Newcastle over Chelsea and Northampton Town over Liverpool, even if it was just the Carling Cup. :D

18. PremierLeagueGuy

PremierLeagueGuy New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have just started a new website that aims to help people with questions like this. It's still a little rough around the edges and some feedback about the type of content I should included would be great. Let me know what you think - www.premierleagueguide.com.

I do support a team - but I defy you to guess who it is. :cool:

19. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an American with no ties to anything remotely English, I feel no obligation to pick a specific team now (although for a spell I was partial to the hapless Spurs). People accuse those who pick one of the top teams of glory hunting, but it's nice to see your team in the UEFA CL each year also and see them play against the best from other countries. For now I'm just going to chill and watch the season, and enjoy watching some of my favorite players play.

20. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    You seem to speak very highly of Villa, so I reckon you support Aston Villa.

Your website is nice but has too many errors to be taken seriously imo.

Some errors I have seen just by having a quick look are as follows.

You describe Arsenal's recent unbeaten season as unique in Top Tier Football. It is not, it has been achieved in other Leagues by Ajax and Rangers. It has also been done before in England by Preston North End.

You state Everton won the League 14 years ago. They did not win the League in the 90's.

You state that West Ham have not been involved in a relegation battle since 2006/2007. This overlooks last season where West Ham finished one place above the relegation zone.

You state Aston Villa play swashbucking football - the evidence of last season proves that false.

You refer to Torres as a Senorita. Are you making a joke or is this another mistake? Is your website a serious one or a light-hearted one?

You also claim Chelsea did not really buy anyone last season - they spent ~£18 million on Zhirkov, making him the most expensive Russian footballer ever. A not insignificant investment that does match your description.

You claim Liverpool were embarrassments before Shankly and yet this completely overlooks the fact that Liverpool had been League Champions 5 times even before Shankly arrived. That's more than Chelsea have now more than 50 years later. Man U manged to equal that total in 1957. Were they also an embarrassment?

You also claim Liverpool were effected psychologically by Heysel and Hillsborough and this caused them to decline. This overlooks the fact that Liverpool won the Double in 1986 the season immediately after Heysel, and won the League again in 1988 and also reached the FA Cup Final. In 1989 they won the FA Cup a month or so after Hillsborough, and were only pipped from another Double by Arsenal scoring a famous 90th minute winner in the last game of the season. Liverpool then went on to win the League again in 1990 and also reached the FA Cup Semi-Final that same year. They were extremely close to winning 3 Doubles in a row and the Hillborough disaster did not really affect the team performance. A decline can be attributed to Hillsborough only because Dalglish was traumatised by attending so many funerals and so stepped down as Liverpool manager and was replaced by the ineffectual Souness.

You also claim Spurs were the first team to do the Double. This is incorrect. Preston North End did this before and also did so without losing a single game all season.

If you are going to operate a website and present it as a factual resource then the facts should be accurate. I applaud your efforts though.

21. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Who are your favourite players?

22. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (EPL only, of course). Mostly for their football (and no, I will not apologize for any of my choices, in the end they entertain me, and that's all that matters):

Joe Hart - world's first android GK? Dude is ice cold talent.
    Gareth Bale - could be world's best LB? His goofy smile is kind of endearing.
    Rafael van der Vaart - great personality, playing like a demon
    Wayne Rooney - yeah, he's playing like crap this season, and is kind of a lout, but I still like the guy. No, I'm not sure why. I hope he comes out of his slump.
    Ricardo Fuller - has an attitude and looks like a mean drum&bass DJ
    Adam Johnson - why the (*#&$^ is this guy not a Man City starter yet? He has the killer instinct Rooney used to have.
    Yaya Toure - his physical style is perfect for the English game
    Chicharito - great kid with tons of potential, Mexican (North America represent!), plus can score goals with his face
    Manuel Almunia - nah, just kidding!

23. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

Sounds like you should support Man City, Man U or Spurs. Of course if you spend a lot of time watching the Prem, you will obviously increase your knowledge of other players too and maybe see a couple who may also become your favourites.

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's Liverpool-Blackpool result is below. Skip the post if you don't want to know the result.

Blackpool won 2-1 and now have 10 points through 7 games.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    its a weird season all round tbh