What Team should I support - Part 2 (cont)

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Rick B, Feb 27, 2009.

1. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    No one is attempting to guard the game, I for one want to see the game do well in America. You seem to read between the lines and come up with a conclusion, it's making you look like a twat.

Everything I have said has been directed at you and no one else in America.

2. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

Yea, that's totally not directed at America.

You brought this on yourself...unless I misread the title, and it actually says: "What do fans of shit clubs in England think of American soccer?"

Oh, that's not the title? Then I'm confused.

3. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    I AM a massive twat. I thought I was fairly open about this.

That's ironic(more accurately: farce) considering your comments on the far distant preceeding page:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's stay on topic though..

In all seriousness (or at least most seriousness).. how would you suggest newcomers (on any continent) to the game with poor domestic leagues (at least in relation to the continental/english/south american) determine "their team."

4. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    I think if you watch the LEAGUES (not teams you've heard of) long enough, you'll begin to identify with a few teams. Eventually, that will narrow down as you learn about the sublteties that are difficult to pick-up on through the tube. And one magically day you arrive..

5. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and then you're arsed for the rest of your life.

:D

6. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    A good friend of mine John Cunliffe plays for Houston in America so I watch a fair few games. Are you honestly all in tears because I said you butcher the game? It's true, and it makes it even more hilarious when you then tell me that I support a bad English team, that was the whole point of my '/Irony.' I also agreed to silentounces defence of the MLS where he argued why fans in America should not be passionate. I honestly cannot see why you are pissing all over yourselves.
    Even when I said "You butcher the game" I never directed that at any American like I said, it was directed at the teams. ManiacGooner I don't want to turn this page into an argument but what you have said is total bollocks.

Anyway, the Clubs I support are always the ones that have some meaning to me (basically the Cities that I was brought up in) those being Bolton, Copenhagen, Hamburg and I guess Toronto but it's more of a following than support as they didn't have a real team when I lived there.
    Obviously if anyone was to choose a team to support I would advise you to pick a successful rich one, as supporting Bolton is ********ing painful at times, Hamburg have underperformed for years and keep selling their best players and Copenhagen are only capable of performing in one competition, if they focus on Europe they screw up the league and if they go for the league they ******** up Europe.

7. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Apology accepted. ::sniffle::

8. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Oh I didn't intend to appologise for anything, I was merely explaining my stance.
    I would appreciate it if you would stop acting like an idiot so then maybe we could have a discussion, all you are succeeding in is making me start to think you are an antagonistic fool, and honestly it's alot easier for me if I don't think of anybody like that.

9. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Too late, apology is non-refundable. If you had addressed my question.. we would have been able to move on.

Again..

How do we developing soccer nations go about selecting a top tier club in order to supplement our support of a local/inferior club?

10. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I have no idea, I have no knowledge of new leagues trying to develop themselves and no ideas how to solve problems in a league that uses drafting and a 1 tier system.

11. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    WHAT?!

Let me eliminate a few syllables..

How do people in nations where soccer is not the #1 sport go about selecting "their" team in foreign leagues? Basically, I'm asking if there is anyway that someone picks a club without being accused of being a "bandwagon" fan.

It seems to me that it is fashionable to criticize ANY team a foreigner chooses to support. Either they are accused of being a glory hound by supporting one of the top teams or a fairweather fan by supporting a "lesser" club that is currently in good form.

Maybe an example will help:

John Q lives in Australia.
    The domestic league in Australia is poor (though it is top league in his immediate area and he supports his local club - he wants to get behind a team that plays at the highest level in the world).

How would you suggest John Q go about finding "his" club in Serie A, EPL, Bundesliga, etc...?

12. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Ah ok I see what you mean now, I had no idea what you were on about with your question before.

I felt I answered this earlier, I suggested that obviously the best option for anybody searching for a team to support at the top level is to pick the top team/richest team. You're going to be supporting a team that will win trophies and have the most success, and you are not going to feel any less attached to the team than you would if you supported a shite one. If football is about enjoyment and entertainment and you have the oppurtunity to choose any team in the world that you want to support, then it's ridiculous not to support the best.

It's pointless picking a worse team just to appear like you are a true fan, because quite simply no matter which European teams you pick to support from anywhere else in the world you will never be viewed as a real fan.

13. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Okay, so my follow-up question is..

Do you support any clubs outside of England?

14. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Ok, so I think you are taking the piss now, but nevermind. Hamburg and Copenhagen, because I lived in both Cities.

15. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Apologies, you did mention that earlier.

It seems you suggest that you have to live/lived in the city to be considered a "true fan" of the club.

If so, how long must you live in the city? If your family is from the city is that good enough?

What I'm getting at, is that you make this issue out as black and white..when perhaps it's really grey.

If you were a baby when your family was in Copenhagen - were you really able to support the club? You see what I mean?

16. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Ye absolutely and I don't consider myself a real fan of Copenhagen or Hamburg, they are just teams I support, Bolton Wanderers are my club. By support I mean they are basically teams that I watch, have the shirts for, get emotional over results etc, but there is no real connection between me and the club, the link is mainly between me and the City.

However if I moved back to one of these Cities I could definitely see myself becoming a real fan, as I would be exposed to the Club much more. I guess the best way to explain it is in terms of nationality. I am half Danish but I only really care if England wins, I want to see Denmark do well of course, I'll be happy when they win, but hardly annoyed when they lose, if they win the World Cup I'm going to be happy for them, but I'm not going to be running around shouting "Get the ******** in I'm Danish and we won" I'm going to be pissed off England didn't win.

Don't really know why I had to explain it with nations, it added absolutely nothing, I'm just rambling, I'm inside on St Patricks day on my own because all my mates have gone out because I don't give a ******** about any shitty Irish Saint.

17. L-E Dude

L-E Dude New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Fair enough.

But.. this is about supporting a club..not being a "real fan." I think most of the American's that are passionate about soccer (especially some of the ones posting here) are "real fans" for their local clubs.
    I don't think anyone here would argue that watching a club on TV and being a season ticket holder are even remotely similar.

Still, seems a bit unfair to John Q that he is damned for supporting a foreign club. Especially considering his $$ (towards kits and other club crap + his TV ratings that go towards more lucrative broadcast contracts) has helped make the top leagues (particularly the EPL) the magnet for world class talent that even Boltonians get to enjoy (half your roster is foreign).

I know it's a hot issue right now in England/the Continent - with discussions of limiting the number of foriegn players on the roster (and that is a totally different topic), but the issues are interrelated (and thus, not black and white).

Hope that makes some sense..

If that wasn't enough..

My family is Lebanese, Scottish, French, and German. I was born and raised in the US. It's a cluster**** for sure!

18. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    People don't purposely call out foreign fans of English clubs because they don't want their support, clubs welcome support from wherever they can get it, especially a team like Bolton. It's just that the other fans regard themselves as superior to the foreigners because they acutally have a link with the city. I think this is the issue.

I would never stop anyone from wanting to support Bolton but at the same time I would never encourage anyone either.

19. bigmike826

bigmike826 New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I'm not sure I've ever chosen a team to support, I feel like they always choose me. Gotta have a gut connection, otherwise it just doesn't feel the same when they come so close and then let you down! :)

20. Nat-liverpool

Nat-liverpool New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't jump on the Manchester United bandwagon!!!
    Even thought I'm a Liverpool fan i recommend Arsenal.

21. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Well then you're jumping on the Arsenal bandwagon

22. Blue Day

Blue Day Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Mile End
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Support the Blues we got cash, quality, best midfield in europe and the best captain in football JOHNO don't support the scouse the binmin or the arse Chels are the team of the people

23. Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye Member

May 29, 2008
    Biggles
    Support Crystal Palace.

You can guarantee that no one would ever accuse you of getting on the Palace bandwagon!

24. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But then you'd be on the 'I don't want people to see me as being on a bandwagon' bandwagon.

25. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather be on that bandwagon than any other. Also, what do you think of FCUM?