What team plays the most beautiful Football?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by TheTactician, Sep 20, 2011.

1. TheTactician

TheTactician New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Not only this season, but also the last 1-2-3 seasons.

A team like Man United played boring last year, but this year its been beautiful to watch. I dont think they are the most fun to watch, tho.

Barcelona are obvious, but there are also Dortmund, Tottenham. And Napoli with their incredible Counter-Attacking Football.

What do you think?

2. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona has played beautiful football for many seasons now. Not only offensively but overall and in both directions. Not only holding the ball but also after they lose it. The entire team uses the field as their own turf. Their pursuit, as well as their owning of the ball and it's progression up and down the field is at times magical. As individuals their technical ability, vision and communication, sometimes seemingly clairvoyant, is something to behold.
    We have a tendency to watch the ball but on closer inspection there are waves of movement that are missed by the camera. It is that movement, off camera, which makes the magic happen.
    At this moment and in the past few years the football played by this team is for me, the definition of total football.

3. Twefoju

Twefoju Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Bali, Indonesia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    ^
    ^
    how can you like both Madrid and Barcelona??, that defy the rules of football!
    :p

but yeah, i agree, for me, this decade it has to be Barcelona, Madrid used to play beautiful football in the early 2000, not so much anymore during the past 6 years

sad how we ( Ajax ) are slowly forgotten for our ( used to be ) most beautiful total football in Europe, and Barca stole the attention now :mad:

:D

4. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Barca, Napoli.

5. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Dutch soccer was once a beautiful game. It has however, morphed into a strict result oriented game with cynical and downright dangerous play.
    Am sad to see that, for individually there are many skilled Dutch players.

6. man_in_the_middle

May 2, 2008
    I know I am in the vast minority on this. But I usually hate watching Barca games. Part of it is that they can be too dominant. I like watching games that are end to end action. At times Barca control the game so much there is no give and take. I certainly see the quality and beauty in their style but too much one sided possession takes the excitement out of the game for me.

7. man_in_the_middle

May 2, 2008
    I don't know that accurately describes the dutch play today. I thought their play at the WC was more of an anomoly. Playing with De Jong was a mistake. They played some beautiful football during qualifying and at the EU08.

8. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like Barca, Napoli and the Dutch NT apart from few times like the WC final.

The good thing about the dutch NT is they attack attack attack, no matter what result, they will even win 15-0 if they can without stoping.

9. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Japan and South Africa play well. Cameroon and Ghana can play well. The Dutch seem to have returned to their traditional method.

10. Twefoju

Twefoju Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Bali, Indonesia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    just wait until we unleash all the new youngster in the near future

Barazite, Luc, Kip, Bouy, Glynor Plet, Bas Dost

muwahaha :D

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutch club football is very attacking minded. Where in Italy small clubs are not ashamed to sit back and defend at their own stadium against the big guns, smaller Dutch clubs have their philosophy and play the game on their own terms. A good example would be Heracles. Probably nobody here knows that club, but with their small budget they play quite nice football and have big clubs for parts of the game in the ropes. My story is also statistical correct illustrated by the following:

http://www.soccerstats.com/

On the front page you can see the most goals per game are scored in the Dutch leagues. Now it's 3.48 and 3.22. Last year I checked it for the whole year and the same result. Eredivisie has far better defenders than in Iceland for example, so that's not the point. It's the attacking spirit and that smaller clubs will attack also, while in other league's they think more about getting a point instead of 3 with the greater risk of ending up with 0. When I see this trend reversing I will admit it has become more result oriented or cynical, but not before statistics show otherwise.

Now of course such a league breeds players that are attacking minded also and that will transcend to the NT. That is also what we have seen trough the years and what the Dutch NT is known for. van Marwijk of course has introduced a more defensive game style. Dunga under Brazil same thing. So that's something all teams go trough. Nothing is static. However a couple of things before admitting the Dutch played a negative final at the WC.

The friendly's directly before the WC were pretty nice.

Ghana that still beated USA and gave Uruguay a scare were comfortable beaten with 4-1.

Hungary was beaten in a 6-1 show.

The group games were all boring but that was not Hollands fault. All 3 where sitting back and waiting what we would do. Same reason Spain looked a bit boring on the WC.

Slovakia was oke game. Not special, but doable to watch.

Brazil was oke. First half was for them, second for us and we could have made 3-1 easily with that ridiculous chance in the final minutes. Point is, it was fine football. Also if one team was cynical that game it was Brazil by the name of Melo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSFdJYg-aM"]VnExpress Felipe Melo ??p Robben và l?nh th? ?? Felipe Melo dap Robben va linh the do - YouTube[/ame]

Let me remind you that Robben is always injured on that leg and Melo trying to injure him again on his weak spot is the definition of cynical Imo. Here is a video of Robben crying that he was able to make to the WC after all, before getting injured on that leg:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVdudjF9Y9E&feature=player_detailpage#t=231s"]Arjen Robben - Everything for his country (The orange Robben perspective) [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

The half final there was only one terrible accident, but not by the Dutch. Uruguay in action, de Zeeuw knock out, game over and losing some teeth:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmulKZqpXo"]Patada del defensor Caceres a De Zeeuw Uruguay vs Holanda - YouTube[/ame]

In the final we then had the de Jong Sparta kick and Holland fouling more, but there were also a few wrong calls and flopping from the Spaniards. Remember FIFA gave both country's a fine, not just the Netherlands! Spain also had 5 yellow cards, more than the Dutch conceded in any of their previous games in the WC.

This is an example of Robben having the chance to give Puyol a red card but not doing it, while Iniesta would have benefited from it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC3ZcwYOmmQ"]ROBBEN TACKLED IN WORLD CUP FINAL 2010 Netherlands versus Spain - YouTube[/ame]

Here Puyol already had a yellow card so Robben would have easily given him a yellow, didn't do that, while Iniesta did with Heitinga

We also see in the Dutch competition (or teams in Europa League) good examples where players don't want opponants to get booked but play to score:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkn-WefDlpE&list=PL3033D7447C1D9E48&index=43"]67' Doelpunt Jeremain Lens, PSV - SV Ried - YouTube[/ame]

That would have been a red card for the keeper, but he didn't took it. I don't know if you could find that in many other league's/ teams.

You know, we can Youtube every action and make people believe in certain trends, but statistical the Dutch league is by far one of the least cynical (in fact most scoring/attacking minded) of any leagues and a few bad apples don't paint a whole picture for a NT. de Jong started this tough guy image especially after his transfer to the EPL where they love the hard tackler and players that give their all. He also does this on his best friends like his countrymen Ryan Babel. Babel had to be dragged off the field and was out for a couple of games for Liverpool thanks to Nigel. At Ajax he was quite technical actually. v Bommel has always been a destroyer with nasty habits.

However every team has nasty players once in a while. Van Bommel will be gone after the Euro and with Strootman and Fer coming trough the ranks I don't know how long de Jong will be in the first team. Van Marwijk has disposed him off the team for his actions on club level recently for a number of games for the NT and the relationship between him and van Marwijk is cold (those are his words). Even though he is not discussed at City for his behavior (go figure), he has not that much credit anymore for the Dutch NT.

Point is everything under that top of the iceberg is overall not cynical imo and pretty positive (club level certainly) to be fair.

12. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I understand what you are saying. But the question of the topic is which team plays the most beautiful football, not end to end exciting matches.

You can't tell me that as a football fan you didn't enjoy and appreciate the beautiful football Barca played when they spanked Real M 5-0 and Man U 3-1.

Though, I will admit that some Barca matches can be dull (for the neutral fans) when the opposition have parked the bus and Barca is not at their best, struggling to penetrate that "defensive wall" in front of the penalty area.

Overall, if I was to rank the club teams that play the most beautiful football, it would be:

1. Barca
    2. Man United
    3. Bayern M

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is the arrogance of Barca fans that pisses me off. It is possible to think your style of football is shit. I acknowledge the talent and the skill, but as a spectacle, it is very repetitive. It is very pretty to look at though. Of the last 3 years my favorite team to watch has been Chile.

14. haihaihai

haihaihai New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Velez played amazing football for the last 2 years until their big guns were sold this past summer (Maxi Morales, Tanque Silva and Ricky Alvarez).

15. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    arrogance of what, if they played like crap fans are the first ones that let them know, but thats not the case.

16. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Shhhhh.....Man United fan trying to talk about arrogance to a Barca fan. LOL

Repetitive? Yeah, like Rome and Wembley finals, right?;)

BTW, Barca is the reason the arrogance of Man United/England fans is subdued lately.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You've just proven my point yonko. There's no denying that the Barca method of attack is a little formulaic. Don't get me wrong. It is pretty to look at (as compared to most football) but it is POSSIBLE for someone not to find it to their liking regardless of what you think. Which is the point I was making.

As far as arrogance goes, we're arrogant domestically, but not in Europe. We never have been. There are threads you can dig up where most of the forum regulars debate that we're either 2nd or 3rd tier as far as being a great team in Europe is concerned.

It wasn't too long ago that we crashed out in the group stages and didn't even make the Europa League parachute. Assertions that we're arrogant are unfounded.

18. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thing with barca is that many of their matches can become dull because they can win at a canter without stepping out of first gear. I have to say though i love watching them in the big games when they "turn it on".

19. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Yes i agree "you're not arrogant, just better" :rolleyes:

20. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, it is possible for someone not to like Barca's football, but I don't know anyone in their right mind who wouldn't. My previous post didn't even address that subject, btw.

Regarding the arrogance, someone like Teso is an example of an arrogant Man U fan. In addition, I don't get a vibe that Man United fans are arrogant only domestically. Part of the reason why you guys are more humbled in Europe lately has indeed been the two finals against Barca.

I don't remember when was the last time Man U didn't make it out of the group stages. I only remember 1993 when Galatasaray eliminated United before the group stage. I remember the team had some difficulties in the knockout stages when Cantona was playing. But in all honesty, after he quit your club became more successful in Europe.

And lastly, may I ask what do you consider arrogance? I mean you made a comment that the arrogance of Barca fans pisses you off after one of my posts......where was/is my arrogance?

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You all say the right things ...

While Agreed that this Barca playing a nice possession football (thanks to their worldclass starting XI) for 75% ; I also find that 20-25% of the time Barca strategy is so "PREDICTABLE" and so "MECHANICS" that might against the true meaning of "beautiful football" in the mould of Brazil Samba (WC70, WC82, Holland 74, Hungary 54 ...) These teams did not just hold up to their possession but also produce some "spectacular passing scheme" around and closer to opponent's box.

In brief, this Barca did well in possession, but with much less "Risky movements" (UNPREDICTABLE) than let's say Brazil 82, 70 teams ... had done

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bolded 1:

That's it right there. Not everyone likes the same things. Some people might not find that appealing. That's just a fact. There are plenty of people who consider Arsenal to play the best football in England but also a lot of people like a more direct approach. Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't accepted by the vast majority of match goers at Old Trafford till his 4th season with the club.

Bolded 2:

Teso is a wum. He's not the typical United fan. Also, he's consistent. His views are his views and he expresses them the same way whether he's talking sense or not, about United or about anything else.

Bolded 3:

Oh, losing a final certainly helps but every year going into the season we do a poll of 50 or so questions that asks members what they think we'll do in the league and in Europe. About half expect us to win the league with the next biggest portion thinking 2nd and many hope/expect us to make it to the semis in Europe.

If anything, making it to 3 finals in 4 years has improved our confidence in Europe. Almost every regular poster on our board will admit that we punched above our weight the last few years including the year we won.

4:

We finished 4th in 05/06 the season after we lost to Porto in the quarters.

And when you think that your way is the only way to play football or that no one in their right mind doesn't like your football then you've lost touch with reality.

Personally, I prefer the football that United are playing this season than Barca's. I'm biased. But guess what? That doesn't make my opinion invalid. I could go on about why I like our football better but I'll say this: United have a strong tradition of wingers who can twist defenders till they are dizzy and forwards who have expansive games and explosive traits. We have a tradition of defenders who are more than just defenders and watching Phil Jones dribble past forwards then midfielders and then defenders makes me laugh out loud. Seconds later I curse him for being out of position, but I love him for it all the same.

No one can question that Barca are the best team in the world. We can see that in the results and the comprehensive way in which they dismiss most opponents across most stages. But whether that style is pleasing to all who observe it is up for question and I can tell you that I enjoy watching Barca play but I'd rather watch a few other teams play.

Probably the most aesthetically pleasing team I've watched in years with the United team of Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez and a close second was the Roma team of a couple years before that, the Chile team of the last couple years, then probably Arsenal of Henry/Pires/Cole/Vieira tied with Barca of Ronaldinho and Barca of the last few years closely followed by Milan in the early 2000s and United in the late 90s.

I've seen a lot of football and I'm an opinionated guy. I'm also not crazy but I actually preferred Rijkaard's Barca as a spectacle as opposed to Pep's Barca. I'm allowed to have that opinion. You or anyone else thinking that I have to be crazy to not think that Barca play the most pleasing football now, or ever or even the best football in Spain is completely arrogant.

A lot of people enjoy sound defensive principles. Valencia didn't make it into my list but the Baraja/Albelda/Ayala team with Vicente (when) and Aimar was a joy to behold not just for what they did on the ball but how sound a unit they were. IIRC Canizares was the GK too, just a well built team all around.

23. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    When you guys won the CL I ran into countless of Man.U supporters saying they are the best team in the world, glory glory or whatever the hell your catchphrase is. So why when Barca wins the CL and fans acknowledge it , its arrogance? lol :rolleyes:

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Part of our tradition is to sing. Loudly and often. If United fans are arrogant for what we chant/sing then all of England from the conference to the top of the prem is arrogant.

I don't think it is arrogant to acknowledge that Barca is the best team in the world. However, it is arrogant to determine that anyone who thinks Barca don't play the most beautiful football is crazy.

Regardless, I'm not delving further into this than I already have. Adieu.

25. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's fair enough.

The bold part is not what I've said nor is what I've implied at all. But when Barca play like they did against Real M (5-0) and Man United (3-1) for example, no one in their right mind can or has denied that is beautiful football. After performances like that everyone has tipped their hats to Barca's players and their performance.

I didn't say your opinion is invalid though. I like how Man United play since the start of the season too (except against Stoke recently). I also like how Bayern M play since the start of their season. So I'm not obtuse and think that Barca are the only ones that play beautiful. But some extent they have spoiled my tastes and I'm finding it harder to like too many other teams.

In addition, I have two friends who are die-hard Man United fans and they constantly call me after every Barca game to tell me how much they enjoy watching them play. They are even more excited than I am.

Fair enough. But that is not a reason to call me an arrogant Barca fan. I'm enjoying watching Barca play and many other non-Barca fans do too. Not everyone and not all the time, but there are instances when even that has happened.

I liked watching Arsenal with Henry, Pires, Viera and Co in 2003/04 season too. I liked watching Sacchi's Milan team. I liked Van Gaal's Ajax in the mid 90s. I liked Lippi's Juvetus. I liked Man United with York and Cole. I've certainly appreciated watching many other teams throughout the history of the game since I've been a direct observer.

I've seen a lot of football too and I'm also an opinionated guy. Yes, you are allowed to have your opinion. And I'm allowed to have mine, which also allows me to disagree with you. I don't find that to be arrogant. Is everyone who disagrees with you arrogant?

And I enjoy sound defensive principles too. My favorite National Team is Italy (though I'm not Italian and have never been to Italy). My second favorite team since 1991 is Parma. I enjoyed watching Seria A games in the mid-to-late 90s. And part of the reason why I like this current Barca team is their defensive pressure and the use of possession as defensive mechanism.