What star would you like that Real Madrid sign the next year?

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MadridForever, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMFC

RMFC New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Sevilla, Spain
    They should have grabbed Ayala when they had the chance. There is no requirement for anyone if they went with a defender. Bravo is doing fine, but a defender could get Helguera back in mid-field with Guti as his back up.

2. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I think Helguera is back in the midfield playing as DM.

3. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    In line with Perez policy of buying "Galacticos" and his recent statement that he would be signing the "best player in the world" in 2004 I think the only real options are Henry and Nedved.

Nedved would seem to be the logical choice as the Real midfield is "older" than the forwards...

Those mentioning Davids - hello? The guy is an over-rated joke. He runs around like a headless chicken all game and accomplishes little. He's already looking over the hill.

If you want to buy anyone for that defensive midfield position then it has to be Vieira - the guy is probably the best in the world in that position right now. Question is - would Arsenal sell... probably yes if it meant they could hold onto Henry and advance the building of the new stadium.

4. RMFC

RMFC New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Sevilla, Spain
    I still don't know if we could rule out Van Niselroy as the next "Galactico"

5. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Possible but I still think Henry's style would fit better with the Madrid procurement ethos....

6. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should get Paolo Maldini, Jaap Stam, or Rio Ferdinand. Maybe a younger, promising defender, then get another attacker next year.

7. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Totti and Owen are the "best options" to sign a star player this summer. Owen seems tired of not win any throphy with Liverpool. And Totti is Madridista since he was a child, and he has said many times that he dreams with play someday in RM. The last time two weeks ago when he said that he only would leave Roma to play in RM, his agent spoke with RM some weeks ago. I'm not saying that to sign Owen or Totti would be easy, but at this moment it seems more feasible than other players. For example, Henry or Van Nistelrooy. I don't see Manchester or Arsenal selling them, but ....

I think that between these four players could be the star of the next year, but i have the sensation that maybe this summer the team could sign two star players. If we sign only one player, i'm sure that he will be a forward or a offensive midfielder. If we sign two players the second player could be a defensive midfielder or a defender.

About sign Buffon, no way!!!!, we would have to pay a great money when we have one of the best, if not the best goalkeeper in the world. Casillas is playing great in the last years and he is only 22 years old. He is one of the "Galacticos" for the RM supporters. He has been a key player to win many points/throphies in the last years.

8. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Why would you want Owen? He offers you nothing more than what you already have (I would say he would be a bench-warmer at best).

More creative options would be looking at players like Van Der Vaart to replace ZZ when he retires...

9. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Van Der Vaart is awesome - in my Fifa 2004 game. I signed him up for 16 mil and use him to spell Zizou and the forwards. He also plays well for me on the wings. Back to reality, while I think he's a great player I don't think they would go after him because he doesn't quite fit into the 'galactico' category - at least not yet. He is an exciting player, though.

10. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    agreed, you guys won the last liga title becuase of him, not because of RS' failure but Casillas

11. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    he played his ass off in the copa del rey today, saved the reserves from an embarassing scoreline.

12. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    that's my point, when the team is underperforming Casillas saves the team's ass.

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Jaap Stam - Lazio need the cash + reduce their wage bill. And Real could use a veteran world class defender.

14. Zizou10

Zizou10 New Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Come on guys. Do you really think man u or arsenal are gonna let go of henry or van nistelrooy any time soon.Although i think henry is one of the best player in the world and would fit in at the club 200m for henry is a bit much. Van nistelrooy is manchester united's only mejor goal scorer and if he leaves the club man u doesnt havea a go to striker. I am trying to think realistically. Davids. He can play defensive mid ofr them and when they get the ball back he can help develope the attack.

Zizou10

15. serieAfan89

serieAfan89 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    North Carolina
    There is no way Man U would ever sell Ruud van Nistelrooy to Real, especially after releasing another star player to the same team, Beckham.

Arsenal would never sell Henry either, because he is Arsenal's goal scorer. If he left, then Arsenal would take a major blow and fall to the bottom of the Premiership.

16. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Re: Re: What star would you like that Real Madrid sign the next year?

Stam is who I would like to see Real sign, but he's stated that he wants to stay in Italy.

17. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Why Stam when there are many better, long-term solutions out there?

Chivu, Nesta, Gallas etc......

18. mega montana

mega montana New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Estados Unidos
    henry is probably the #1 target for madrid, but that doesnt make it easy to attain him

he would come at a very very steep price

keep in mind, many people did not believe beckham would come to Real Madrid either, so you never know

i have also heard the rumors of Kaka the young midfielder from AC Milan, from what i have seen of him, he has the potential to be world class

he is very young (only 21 i think) and could take over for zizou when he retires

19. mega montana

mega montana New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Estados Unidos
    also, is there any chance Real will get Alex from Santos when the transfer window reopens or will they wait until summer?

he's a very good young defender

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The posters on this board crack me up!!!

I mean, how, why??? The only reason you got Beckham is because he did not fit into the team's plans for the future... Look at us, we lead the Premiership without him, despite a long term injury to the guy who replaced him at right half, Ole Gunnar... that just shows how little we needed him... for those of you not respecting Italian soccer, I would just like to let you know that Totti would not sit on the bench... you would change formations... RC and Becks on the wings of a 3-5-2 and Totti, Zidane and Figo centrally... (yes i know that is adventurous and it is fiction, but so would Totti leaving Roma) Totti is a beast, he is similar to Raul in many ways and he plays in Italy... say what you like its the hardest league to score in... I mean look at Spain, David Beckham is not only not a defensive liability he is a "lynch pin" of the midfield... that is a bloody laugh...

Agreed you need a defender best... but to say Nesta is the only Italian you could use is just silly... Panucci, Pancaro, Maldini, and there is someone im forgetting but there. However i wont deny that your team is strong... but it is also ageing... Zizou, Figo are no longer at the top of their game... in 2 years they will have to be replaced... wouldn't it be better to get that replacement now, so they could learn the language, the team, the league and the style of play??? no... that would be too much like building a team as opposed to buying one.... for a minute I got confused..

21. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

I think that Ferguson doesn't think the same. He is/was very upset with Beckham and he still hasn't speak with him after Beckham leave Manchester. That was the only reason for that Beckham leaves Manchester, Ferguson and Beckham were very far to be good friends. it was the reason of what Manchester sold Beckham for not much more money that Madrid sold Makelele to Chelsea, a gift. A gift, because Beckham is playing great in Madrid and he is one of the favourite players of RM supporters, and it's easy. A gift, because RM has sold more than a million of jerseys of Beckham in few months, and more than 2.5M of all the players. How many jerseys has sold manchester? Around 500,000. A gift, because now RM is the team that win more money in Merchandaising in the world with more distance than the last year. it means more money to sign star players the next years.

To say that Zizou it isn't at the top of the game is a blasfemy. He is THE TOP of the game. The time will tell us how many years. RM wants to renew him.

If you analize the Florentino policy in the last years. He won't pay a lot of money for a defender. Nesta out, and Chivu or Gallas very very dificult. He only will pay 12-18M euros for a veteran defender - the team offer 12M for Ayala the last summer - or a promise young player - the team "sign" Milito the last summer -.

For that reason i think that the team could wasted 40-60M in a offensive player, and 12-18M in a defensive players the next summer.

The list of super stars offensive players isn't very big, and Henry,VNR, Owen and Totti names has sound in the last months.

The list of good defensive players not to expensive isn't either very big, Alex has sound in the last days. Metzelder, Mexes and other players sounded the last summer. About alex i haven't seen him play enought to can value him. My favourite is Mexes.

If i would have to choose between the offensive players i would choose in this order: Henry, VNR, Totti or Owen. But the four are great players.

22. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles

Owen ??? I think he's extremly overated, wouldn't be worth the money. Besides, he's injured 11 out of 12 months a year.

23. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Ferguson wanted Beckham out of the club. I believe he had taken the view that Beckham was too high-profile, his wife was a nightmare and that he was restricting development of the team in the direction Ferguson wanted to take it.

I also believe there was more going on in the background with Beckham and his team-mates. There are rumours that the cut over the eye was not caused by Ferguson kicking the boot - rather it was from a fight between Giggs and Beckham. Long story behind the fight - basically it revolves around Giggs current girlfriend used to go out with Beckhams best friend (who was a failed youth player at Man U at the same time as Giggs, Beckham, Nevilles etc). Giggs "stole" this girl when she was engaged to the other guy. Anyway - to cut a long story short, Beckham and Giggs did not get on and Ferguson was left with a choice of selling one or the other to ensure harmony in the squad. This of course could be utter crap but I have seen this mentioned too many times elsewhere for there to be no smoke without fire...

As to the merchandising - you're having a laugh. Yes Real have increased their shirt sales via Beckham joining but they are still a long way behind Man U in this area. And this does not include the merchandising bump that will come when the Chinese striker (Dong?) joins in the next few days...

Lets be honest - Real do not have to rely on merchandising revenue etc in the same way other clubs do. It must be nice to have the government fund your team in the way Real manage..

24. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Good shout - couldn't agree more. Owen would be a benchwarmer compared to the talent available in the Real team right now...

25. totti2madrid

totti2madrid New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    FL, USA
    totti best option

i with out a doubt think that totti would be the best option for madrid to sign in the summer. it seems like a long shot, but he said its the only team other than as roma that he would play for. he also stated that he wanted to win at least 2 scudetto with roma before he moved on, well he already has one, and they looked primed to to take the second this year if they keep their play up. he would come cheaper than henry or ruud by a difference of 10-15 mill. that difference could then be rolled over into a very good central defender or defensive midfielder in the style of lucio, mexes, samuel, vieira. this all coming with the supposed sale of luis figo, who as much as i adore, has seen his better days, and could be sold to abrahamovich for all the tea in china.