What soccer league is your favorite FSW program?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by pc4th, Sep 26, 2003.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS
    EPL
    A-league
    German soccer
    Dutch soccer
    French soccer
    Argentina soccer
    Brazillian soccer

Other (list the program)

2. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    I would think that most people watch FSW for the EPL. I never hear people saying that they'd rather watch the other leagues more unless they were "MLS-Only/Euro Haters".

3. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a 'MLS-Only/Euro Haters.' yet my favorite program on FSW is MLS, followed by the A-league. I like Euro soccer especially EPL, but I feel no attachment to them. Sure, the soccer quality is better, but I rather watch MLS than EPL any day. I care about MLS results, the plays, the players, the teams whereas I feel almost nothing to the Euro teams and Euro soccer.

Thank FSW for showing MLS and A-league. (with these two leagues, I would still watch FSW, but with less attention/passion. In other words, I would watch less).

4. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Premiership and Bundesliga are obviously #1 and #2 in star quality, But the Argentine League is
    great theater! Passionate fans, flamboyant players,
    and Max Bretos in full effect! Hopefully it will be back on the air soon.

5. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Bundesliga. I watch MLS on the Shootout package.

There are always two live Bundesliga games each weekend. The Saturday game is always the first choice game. The best EPL games tend to be on PPV.

I've gotten to the point that I am extremely spoiled with RAI, FSW and the Shootout package. Taped games do not "do it" for me anymore.

Plus the highlight show is great. Hearing Toby Charles every week brings back a lot of great memories from childhood.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite is the Dutch league, I have always loved their style of play.

2nd is MLS - just because its our league
    3rd - Bundesliga
    4th - Since No West Ham in EPL, I'll put the EPL right here.
    5th French
    6th Argentine
    7th A-League (would like it better if the announcers didn't make me sleep every game)

7. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    get rid of mls and a-league
    you get that on espn,shootout and local channels in nyc -msg channel.

dutch eredivisie--they should only get the ajax-psv-feyenorod matches meaning when they play with each other the rest of the teams are crap just like 80%of european leagues its always a 2 way horse race.........

now get some serie A and champions league.......
    the juve/roma game was great too bad not many peeps got to see it

and is the uefa cup all season long?????

8. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    I became a fan of the EPL because of FSW. I also love the MLS coverage.
    I almost wanted to vote for the A-League because I enjoy watching it and you can't get that anywhere else.

9. Suss

Suss Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    EPL: By far my favorite league. Nothing else even comes close. Fox Sports World would be worthess without the Premier League.

German soccer: I usually watch the games on Saturday and Sunday. There are some very good players in the Bundesliga and great fan atmosphere.

Dutch soccer: They show PSV every single week which is kind of annoying, but the Dutch league is full players that will soon make a move to a bigger European league. Kezman on PSV is unbelievable.

French soccer: The French league is kind of boring because there aren't many goals. But I like watching it because there are several world class players in that league. Plus, Houllier buys all his talent from France.

Brazillian soccer: I watch the games from Brazil just to get a chance to see the next up and coming star. I wish FSW would show Santos so I can see Diego and Robhino.

Argentina soccer: I love the atmosphere at these matches. The fans are out of their mind. Boca and River consistently are providing some great players to the big leagues in Europe.

MLS: I have no interest

A-league: I can't believe that anyone would watch it.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Bert. I voted for Germany not because it's my favorite league, but because it's covered the best out of any of the choices on FSW.

EPL - Often doesn't show 2 of the best 3 matches of the weekend. If they put the PPV games live on FSW instead this would be the easy #1 for me. Would require delaying the German telecasts, but I can live with that.

MLS - I get the Shootout, plus every MetroStars game on MSG so I don't watch the FSW broadcast very often. But I'm glad they have it.

A-League - Definitely need two games a week, plus maybe midweek games. I understand this is a time buy so it won't happen, but would still be nice.

Netherlands - I wish they would show at least 2 games a week. Hard to follow a league when you only see it once a week. Plus, every game so far has featured PSV.

Argentina/Brazil/France - Same comment as the Netherlands. If the choice is between dropping one to get better (and perhaps live) coverage of the other two, I'd go with that.

11. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Paid Programming.

12. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    More Jamaican dominoes!

13. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a short-sighted attitude. You better believe it that some people would watch 'lower-quality' soccer and love it A LOT MORE than EPL for example. People in countries around the world do not flock to the TV and watch foreign leagues like the EPL while ignoring their local teams (maybe except in the US where half soccer fans ignore local soccer. It is unfortunate but true, because of that, they do not support the sport they love locally). If the people around the world just ignore the local leagues and watch EPL, La Liga, the number of soccer leagues around the world would drop by about 95%. Thus 95% of all soccer players will have to find another job to earn a living. And the quality of the top league would take a huge plunge. And the World Cup would be a bore.

It is like someone from Serbia saying 'who would want to watch the Serbian Basketball league while you can watch the NBA.' or 'I can't believe anyone would watch it.'

14. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    1 MLS
    2 EPL
    3 Bundesliga
    4 A-League
    5 Futebol Brasiliero
    6 Eredivisie
    7 Argentine
    8 French

15. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    1 MLS
    2 Darts
    3 EPL
    4 Eredivise
    5 A-League
    6 Aussie Rules
    7 Bundesliga
    8 Argentina
    9 Brasil
    10 Cricket Highlights
    11 French

I'm not sure why, but I find the French Ligue horribly unwatchable. Maybe I just haven't watched it enough, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again. Bleh.

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    All the gung ho patriotic Americans are gonna say the French league is the worst just because they hate France and then give some lame excuse as to why and say stuff likes cause its unwatchable

17. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Yes. I worship at the Holy Alter of Rumsfeld every day. I have special-ordered Jacques Chirac toilet paper. I eat...freedom fries.

18. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    how's this for an excuse: when i watch a game, i like to feel a connection to the team or a player or coach involved in a game. call me uneducated about french soccer, but when i watch those games, i don't recognize the players names or clubs. now if ronaldinho still played for psg, i would watch their games, that's just how i am. hate the french? hardly.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    anyway my preferences:

1. French League-of course
    2. EPL-Best league on the world in my opinion
    3. Argentine- Very exciting and under rated
    4. MLS- only watch cause Max is doing the games
    5. A League- i like minor league sports
    6. Brazil- Too many teams, dont care
    7. Germany- dont like the style of play, cant get into it
    8. Dutch- any league where only 3 teams can win doesnt intrest me

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...How many teams can win the following?
    EPL - Man U, Arse, Chelsea
    Argentina...River Plate, Boca Juniors...
    Germany...Bayern .......Dortmund?

A lot of leagues are like that, but your point about France is well taken, but I think we are seeing some dominance coming from Lyon and Marseille.

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure in the last 20 years there have been more than 3 different winners in the English, Argentine and German League each. Dutch League I know there has only been 3 different winners in that same span.

22. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    So your a big whore for star power yet you like MLS ? HAHAHA too funny.

23. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 3 teams have ever won the EPL: ManU, Arsenal, and Blackburn.

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought AZ won in 1991.

The principal is you have dominating teams in nearly every league - except France.

But I see the gap starting to occur and only a matter of time before Lyon and Marseille just take over.

25. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I think it was '81.