What should I ask Mark McCullers?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, Feb 18, 2011.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The preseason meeting between fans and the team leadership was going to be a breakfast session tomorrow. I RSVPed but apparently not enough other folks did so it's been canceled. The team called me and offered a chance to enjoy a party suite during the CCL match vs RSL. Mark and Duncan will be there so what questions should I ask them?

2. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    With the allocation money are we A) Buying a DP? B) Putting a roof on the stadium

The real question is what the honest expectations for this year. ...and looking forward to next year post "rebuild"

3. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'd talked about only having around 24 guys on the roster at the beginning of the season. With the signings today, we have 30 (though it sounds like Burse/Riggs could be let go after Gruenebaum gets healthy).

Are there any plans to improve the squad past this point? We've got plenty of allocation money (though it sounds like we're using some of that on Mendoza's salary), but even after all that we have more than enough money to sign a Designated Player to our roster.

Also, is Veeder Generation Adidas? Wasn't sure what his salary numbers would look like, though if they count him as GA then it wouldn't matter.

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does MLS come up with a team's cap number? Does it use the base salary? Guaranteed compensation? Or some other method? If so, what is that method.

Lastly, what is our cap situation? Do we have enough ($335k) to add a DP level player (Or 2 if they are done in season, since that would only count $167k).

5. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Any chance we are going to get ONN games in HD on insight this year?

6. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance we get Crew games on Fox Sports Ohio?

7. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Um, can I take a step back for a moment and ask...

What the hell? How did I not hear this was scheduled for tomorrow? I've been waiting to hear about when the fan forum was going to take place. When did they contact you?

8. Clintonville Bombers

Nov 16, 2008
    Ask what new tactics they're trying to get more fans to the games that they haven't tried before.

I'd also inquire about stadium naming rights and a jersey sponsor to see if there is any progress or if they are closer to generating some revenue that way - cuz it sure ain't happening at the gates.

Then ask what cities they are considering moving the team to.

9. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to ask the same thing, I try to go every year. I have noticed that since (his name escapes me) left for Portland that they have been dropping the ball on emails, sometimes I get gibberish emails. I will be very upset if this is canceled and I will call and let them know.

Podincowtown could you post the email you got about it thanks.

10. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This! I know I got emails about this meeting the last several years. I can't help but wonder how much they intentionally didn't advertise this event so they don't have to answer hard questions about offseason moves.

11. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask him when he's going to host a real fan forum.

I think we all know that this was scheduled as a breakfast so that they could cite "not enough people RSVP'd" as the reason to cancel it, therefor dodging the questions we all want to ask.

I'm actually really surprised by this, MM (if no one else in the FO) has always gone out of his way to be accessible to fans. Wonder if something is up...

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know those two lines, kind of like ridges, that run from the bottom of your nostrils down to the top of your upper lip?

Ask him if he knows what those are called. There must be a name for them. I've always wondered and maybe he knows.

Thanks

13. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your philtrum Bill.

And the soft tissue septum that splits your nostrils is your columella.

3 people repped this.
  14. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think this was to be the overall fan forum, as that is usually held the Tuesday or Wednesday of Crewsmas week. The e-mail I got referenced this was for season ticket holders for '10 only and that has never been the case before either.

I also wonder if it was meant for those who did not renew their season tickets for '11 through the Crew. For instance, I got this email, but I don't think my father did. The only difference is he got his tickets through the Crew so he could get a parking pass and I got mine through CSU for the first time. No matter how many times I tell them I renewed through CSU, I still get email and phone calls telling me I'm going to lose my seat if I don't renew my season tickets. Not that I care if I lose my seat placement since I've never actually stood there once in 3 years. Whoever stands in 101, row 1 seat 7 congrats, I no longer hold that seat.

15. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ask him to put these 10 items in order of his highest to lowest priority:

1. Putting game.
    2. Wedges.
    3. Shirt sponsor.
    4. Short irons.
    5. Long irons.
    6. Stadium naming rights.
    7. Driver and fairway woods.
    8. Fan outreach & marketing (ie, doing some).
    9. Playing golf.
    10. Enjoying playing golf.

1 person likes this.
  16. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct.

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Thanks!

I have no other questions.

18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    is it true the crew is moving to india to aid in the mls expansion in the asian market.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I got the email a few weeks ago on my work account. BS is blocked at work and I don't feel like jumping through hoops to login remotely so I'll forward it to my home account Monday and post it that evening.

I was a season ticket holder in 2010 who hasn't renewed for 2011 so perhaps that is it. In years past this was held the week before the first match at Claddaugh. I thought they were considering this the first match and don't know if there will be an evening event at whoever ended up as the official away game HQ for 2011.

I'll ask about sponsorship, GA status for Veeder, cap rules, a DP, and anything else you guys want.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think myshap is correct. This must have been some sort of extra fan forum, NOT the one that takes place the week before the first home game.

21. CrewCanon

CrewCanon Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Yep, I got confirmation that this was indeed for season ticket holders, and that there "should" be a regular Fan Forum. However, my source did not have confirmation on date or time for the regular Fan Forum.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a season ticker holder, but I don't recall getting a message about this. However, I also renewed, so perhaps that's it.

One good question you may wish to ask does regard the TV situation. There's been a lot of discussion about it (and I have discused it with some FO folks in the past--but not recently) so I think we'd all appreciate current comments about our TV situation: i.e., why ONN and were other venues considered? What are the plusses and munises of each. Could be an initeresting primer on how soccer in the US really works.

23. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a good one-

Has the Front Office been in talks to subsidize costs for supporters for the season-opener? It'd be nice to get 3 buses to DC, and it certainly helps if it's a bit cheaper. (I mean, what else are they gonna do with all that allocation money?......)

24. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in addition to this, with the new team chaperoned away trip policy announced at last year's MLS supporters forum; who will be our chaperon? I was hoping for Duncan, but with his new broadcast responsibilities, that can't happen. ;)

25. Clintonville Bombers

Nov 16, 2008
    3 and 6 tie for 9th most important, then 8 is actually combined with a different list of 50 items and placed 50th most important. Then to replace #8 on this list, a new item will be added: "coming up with the same ideas over and over again and expecting new results", which immediately goes to most important and all team resources are devoted to it. It's what they do in the NFL.