What Shep knows about Reffing?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NYfutbolfan, Sep 17, 2006.

1. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    Absolutely nothing.

Forget the red cards. Shep goes on and on about the obvious. After Gaudette stops Youri, Shep claims that he knew he was going to Gaudette's right. Gee, I think anyone can say that after the fact.

What really annoyed me though, is that MSG showed the replay 3X. Not once did Shep mention that Gaudette did his best Brianna Scurry imitation and came off the line before Youri touched the ball. RBNY was due a retake of the PK. Shep didn't even notice it. If he did, he would've been able to seond guess the referee for not having the cajones to make the call. Alas, our Shep, the goalie extraordinaire probably doesn't even know how Gaudette cheated on that play. In other words, he has a vague idea about the rules, but doesn't really understand what he's talking about. The "most" critical non-call of the game goes un-noticed by the expert.

It's actually very sad. With Shep's resume, he is given credit for knowledge that he doesn't possess. On top of that, most fans that watch the games, take their cue from this guy. While in some sense, he is entertaining, he does a disservice to the game.

2. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

No offense but I'd like to see you do better... Shep is not perfect and neither are you.. I agree Gaudette did move forward off the line prior to the kick and it wasn't called like Scurry's and countless others...but everyone makes mistakes and can't see everything especially way up where he is in the press box and on tiny monitors... Shep is a good commentator and it is easy to rag on him w/o knowing what is involved... I think it is sad you have to down on a commentator who is entertaining (like you said) and IMO does a good job....

3. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little judgmental & harsh there, NYff. I agree with ag.

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, of course you missed that Shep gave the exact reasoning why he knew Youri was going to his left. Keepers (the ones I have spoken to anyway) are usually taught to focus on the shooters hips, Youri made no attempt to disguise his run-up (straight on as Shep pointed out) and Gaudette "guessed" right.

And every keeper cheats on penalties. In the EPL, in serie A in MLS, in Brazil.

5. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    more evidence that mls is just as good as those leagues. :D

6. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Actually, Shep did mention that Gaudette moved forward before Youri touched the ball. Still, I think Shep focused on Youri's telegraphing the side to the goalkeeper because he was astonished that a veteran and world cup champ would make such a rookie mistake.

7. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bottom line: Youri is too much a pro and way to skilled to miss a penalty shot. It should have been top shelf, upper corner, even if he telegraphs his side.

Good keepers can dive and get to the ball from waist high to ground. Above the waist is out of reach for any keeper if it's near a post and hit with a bit of conviction.

Youri has lost confidence in his scoring ability. This PK was a good example. He went for a "safe" location, and got stuffed by the keeper. His shots on goal were too soft because he was aiming more than shooting. It's sad, really. :(

At the end of the day, if Youri puts it in, Shep doesn't have to criticize anyone, and it doesn't matter when Gaudette moves.