what position will Gazza play

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by todda74, Jul 28, 2002.

1. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    out of all of the articles and other threads that i've read about the coming of Gazza no one has mentioned where he will play. He's a MF right, and I also assume that he would be in the starting 11, so what position will he play? Anyone got any info on this?

2. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Nov 19, 1999
    He will play my ying to your yang.
    He will be subservient to no one.
    He will WILL a ball into the net for the hapless boys of DC.

But really, maybe he can play a withdrawn forward now that Quaranta is out. As long as he's not too far for Etcheveddy to reach on one bounce.
    YEAH

Should we sign him? SHEEEEEUUUUTTTT

3. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    ok, so we'll play with 5 midfielders, or with just 1 forward with Gazza behind him. Whom would be the person in the regular lineup that Gazza replaces if he is signed?

4. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    If all the players for United are healthy and ready to go, this is probably what we would be looking at:

3-5-2

-------------------- Rimando --------------------

Prideaux ----------- Pope ---------------- Reyes

----------------Nelsen -- Gazza -----------------

Olsen -------------- Etch ---------------- Convey

------------- Moreno ------ Quaranta ------------

To answer your question, Gazza would be the mdifielder responsible for linking the defense to attack (no one really does that for this team at the moment) and would allow Etcheverry to play a much farther forward position so Marco doesn't have to come back for the ball so much.. Marco does that because Williams is utterly incapable of transitioning without sloppy turnovers..

Gazza would also be a perfect sub for Marco when he sits out his few matches because of card accumilation.....

5. bware

bware New Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I agree with Cweedchop's assessment with a couple of tweaks...Quaranta's out for the season, so Q2 would take his spot. Nelson may have some issues competing for the mid slot, but I'd like to see him get a shot. There used to be games, back in the day, where Marco could really wander and find space for a beautiful pass. Gazza will be able to hold the ball and find Marco--or anyone else--anywhere on the field. If Marco and Gazza can stand each other, I think they could create an unbelievable foundation. Especially with the speed of Convey, Olsen and Reyes running up the wings.

6. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'm in agreement that Gazza would be a holding midfielder, but I'm sure he'd move up and become a withdrawn forward once we sustained possession upfield. Heck, he can actually score, even if his shot is weak now. We don't have many people that can score.

Here's my lineup:

-----------Eliseo--------Moreno-----------------

--------------------------Etcheverry-------------
    Convey-------------------------------------Reyes
    -------------Gazza-------------------------------
    --------------------Williams----------------------

-------Prideaux------Nelsen-------Pope-----------

I'm fairly certain that Williams is still our best Dmid, so that takes Nelsen out of midfield because Gazza takes that spot with Williams. Reyes pushes forward to occupy the wing soley, but has Gazza and Etch to play off of. Olsen becomes our sub forward until he gains match fitness.

When a team bunkers we need to push both Nelsen and Pope forward and bring Reyes back a bit. Let Moreno, Nelsen, Pope and Convey stay in the box with Eliseo and Gazza feeding the ball into them. If need be, we can replace Moreno, Eliseo or Olsen with McKinley against a bunkered team. He can score through the air as well, and he always creates havoc in there. Place Etch in the middle to reset the offense if that doesn't work. Prideaux, Williams and Reyes will fetch the clears and race back on defense. It's aggressive, but that's what we'll need to do to score.

IMHO, Gazza can still place a ball on a player's head, so this may end Etch's corner monopoly. Gazza would have been the difference between losing and winning a lot this year.

-Tron

7. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    I've talked to some folks who were big fans of Gazza during his glory days, and what they tell me makes me wonder whether there's going to be an attempt to team him with Marco as a midfield attacking duo or whether he is Marco's replacement. Gazza's defensive skills are negligible, so there's no point putting him in the back of midfield.

If the idea is to team him and Marco up, I can only imagine we're going to a three-man backline. In other words, something like what we saw on Saturday, but with Gazza taking McKinley's role (that is, maybe Ivan was supposed to be part of the backline, but he seemed to me to be playing an alternating attacking MF role with Marco).

Given what Ray's said about Marco, I don't expect Gazza to out and out replace Marco, but I don't see anything other than an "equals" arrangement working out. Marco doesn't play second fiddle to anyone really well.

8. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    McKinley was playing in midfield, helping transition along.

As Broon said, neither Gazza nor Etcheverry defends much. One of my biggest problems with this deal is the potential for a huge rift to develop off the field. Etcheverry doesn't seem like he'll take the competition well. I also don't think he's going to cause that many goals, simply because we can't finish. We'll just create more chances to miss.

9. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    To answer your question.
    ANY WHERE HE WANTS TOO!!!!
    Just put runners on the field that should be the only condition for the other players who surround him.
    Folks dont be disillusioned. DCUNITED is terrible. Bring Gazzi in and get rid of all the rest!!!!!
    wake up folks
    cheers