What Polling Got Wrong.

Discussion in 'Elections' started by American Brummie, Nov 12, 2016.

1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still an interesting read.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Still not :ROFLMAO:

But yeah it is interesting in terms of the lies they todl

Man - it is funny though that it took 18 months for this obvious bullshit to get torn down.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This remains the biggest bullshit of all.

"Micro targeting" - i.e. paid advertising - is exactly the same as what Hildawg was doing and every other consumer advertiser.

The reason they went to selling 80k per day or getting 74m views is because they paid for them.

e.g. 74m views for 10-15m dollars would make total sense in terms of their overall spending. Big deal. If we check, I am sure we will find hildawg also has millions of viewers at a very similar cost per view.

As for the human billboards and generating revenue - this is what all campaigns do. Spend $1 to raise > $1

Obama was massive on that.

Except now we have the proof that CA was really the data op.

As usual key vendors provided media buys. Big yawn.

The Franchise repped this.
  4. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about people casting around for an explanation. Here's a simple one: there were two unappealing candidates from the major parties, and one of them narrowly won. Those who believe the winner was the only terrible candidate have to either re-examine that assumption or find an alternate hypothesis.

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the very least, try to understand why many people thought Hillary was a terrible candidate and then pick a candidate who is Not Those Things

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit, I'm in a bit of a bubble, but I don't know anybody who thought Clinton was a good candidate. She was better than 45, better than B Sanders, and the most qualified of all the candidates...since Bush 41 (maybe Kerry), but she also had a hell of a lot of baggage and had lots of problems both as a candidate and as a democrat. Remove her from the 2016 election cycle group of candidates, and she is not very good.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Candidate no, she was definitely not a good candidate, but I think she would have been a good President (perhaps not great, but good).

I think that if we had a Parliamentary system, H Clinton could have been PM, I mean if Teresa May can do it, why not Clinton.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good? I think she would have been above average, but she is far too much a technocrat and not really dynamic enough to enact that really changing legislation. Diploma wise, she would have been quite good, that is certain.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The outcome is horrifying.

Within two hours, all of Twitter receives a packet of information (news, gossip, etc).

ALL. OF. IT.

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    A few months ago, you were claiming that we shouldn't panic and that this kind of thing can be fixed at the ballot box. We're WAY beyond that.

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bit more nuanced than that. It means that people who buy into fake news are still receiving real news. It means that Earth 2.0 people get Earth 1.0 information. They're choosing to ignore it, rather than selectively filter it out entirely.

That's the horrifying part.

The good news is that the Earth 1.0 people see Earth 2.0 stuff and reject it.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the something? Both groups see eachothers news but reject the news that does not conform with their preconceived ideas.

American Brummie repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be a temporary thing that could change with a change in the media environment, but at this moment, it ain't a both sides thing. One side is vastly more misinformed.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but the story about the Russian Bots is that they did target some lefty groups, like black live matters with fake stories, studies that I have seem (I think you posted some) do indicate that conservatives are more likely to believe in those fake stories, but liberals or lefties are not immune to them.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if they were bots or not, but Facebook was used extensively specifically to pit left and the right against each other.