what, no Zenit news?

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by metros11, Oct 28, 2003.

1. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I"m surprised "Zenit" hasn't mentioned anything about his club finishing in second place and playing in the champions league next year.

2. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    That is because Zenit will not play in the Champions League next year.
    It's UEFA Cup for them, and the Horses to the show. Or, rather, the Horses out of the show before the show ever gets underway.

3. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there a shot at a CL berth if they do well in the UEFA Cup?

4. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

Welcome back, metros11.

Of course, getting back to the UEFA Cup is sweet, but 2nd is a little bittersweet this year -- for a lot of reasons that Shurik has already mentioned about CSKA & their style of play, plus the fact that when Zenit played CSKA this year, we took 'em out to the woodshed & waxed them. We're a better team; we should be in the CL next year instead of CSKA.

What really rankles me is the fact that CSKA got dumped out of CL by Vardar, which is bad enough by itself -- and also did absolutely nothing for Russia's chances to get that 2nd CL slot back. Thanks again, Gazza.

5. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    As a matter of fact, it is absolutely crucial for Loko to have a decent showing the rest of the way in this year's CL for Russia to stay ahead of Croatia in the ratings.
    If we do not, it will be only 2 teams for us in the 2005-06 UEFA Cup. It's Belarus country. Not good at all.

Currently, thanks to the Railwaymen's victory over Inter, we are hanging on by a hair.

6. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what you're saying is that Russia only gets one CL spot??? And Ukraine gets 2?

7. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    You are not exactly Mr. Current Events, are you Tommy?
    (c) Turkish, Snatch

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha, more proof that Ukrainian soccer is better then Russian soccer...

9. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that this particular notion is to be desided in Moscow this November, no?
    But if you are indeed correct about this, it's a shame then that Ukraine, unlike the inferior Russia, shall not be able to showcase their superiority in Portugal next year, so the knowledge of it will remain a stirctly internal affair.

Russia's plunge in the ratings (which has nothing to do with Ukraine, by the way, unless you want to argue that it's due to Loko's insufficiently convincing victory over Shakhtar) is a sad event for Eastern European football, just as Ukraine's would be, at least for me.

10. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shurik,
    lets not forget my dear friend that in order to showcase their "inferior" football prowess in Portugal they will first have to beat Wales. Or at least tie them twice.

11. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    At least, they are at that point. I wish Ukraine were too.
    But, if you feel the need to indulge into pointless gloating (over whatever it is you think you can gloat) and stupid enmity between what essentially are two identical countries, please do go ahead.

12. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    two identical countries, i think not. perhaps the growing prejudice against ukrainian immigrants who venture out to moscow and st. petersburg begs the difference. and the death of two shakhtar fans at loko disproves your theory.

btw, there is no way ukraine and russia will ever become any kind of political union again. even the ukrainians in the east consider themselves "UKRAINIANS"

13. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    two identical countries, i think not. perhaps the growing prejudice against ukrainian immigrants who venture out to moscow and st. petersburg begs the difference. and the death of two shakhtar fans at loko disproves your theory.

btw, there is no way ukraine and russia will ever become any kind of political union again. even the ukrainians in the east consider themselves "UKRAINIANS"

14. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    Everything you have just mentioned only goes to prove "my theory".
    Because, as far as I know, no Italian or German migrant workers ever get disctiminated against in Moscow. Likewise, all the Inter, AC Milan and Borussia fans were able to escape Cherkizovo unscathed.
    The like clash much more often than the opposite. And this goes both ways.

Whatever the silly attempts at alienation are taken. You can have your wishes for revenge and the spelling of the names of the cities. I have more than 1000 years of common history.

Oh, and Nikolai Gogol. Good writer, if a bit anti-Semitic, as was the way of the times. Taras Bulba, according to him, is a "Russian hero". You may come to terms with your own culture, you may grow to despise it, you may even reinvent it. The first way seems to make the most sense for me. But it's up to you to find your own.

15. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shurik,
    This is what I'm trying to prove to you, and you seem not to be listening. Ukrainians now have their own identity, and the Russians don't want the Ukrainians to identify with them. Perhaps you think that this identity still exists in the United States because American's seem to think that Ukraine is just a state in the "United States of Russia", but in reality it doesn't. When was the last time you went to Donetsk, Zaporozhye or Kiev, when was the last time you spoke to those people and get a feel for the way they associate themselves. It doesn't matter that people in eastern Ukraine still speak Russian as the first language, they identify themselves with the Ukrainian culture, not the Russian culture. And the fact that the Russians don't care much for Ukrainian proves that the feeling is mutual.

16. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    The fact that Russians don't have any feelings at all towards Iceland proves that the Russians have nothing in common with Icelanders.

And the fact that eastern Ukrainians speak Russian as their native language, means that their culture is Russian, no matter how they want to identify themselves.

But....

If you like to hate, go, hate. I don't really care. Neither do I understand the point of this discussion. Take the UEFA ratings, post them on your wall as a proof of whatever it is you want it to be a proof of, wallow in self-pity over the supposed hatred of some Russians towards some Ukrainians, or vice versa, or the other way around, or in different order, fevereshly establish yourself as a completely different entity from anything Russian whatsoever. You can even try to prove that Russia and Ukraine are in fact located in different galaxies for all I care.

To me, the fact that you are so adamant in trying to establish your distance from Russia (and not from Honduras, Cote d'Ivoire or the Canadian Northern Territories) is a proof that there isn't any.
    But have it your way.

17. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we all just get along?

To someone who hasn't been to most of Russia and any of Ukraine, I'd term it that Ukraine has some strong Russian influences, but a separate culture.

Then again, this has absolutely nothing to do with what the thread started out about.

18. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not trying to distance myself away from the Russian culture, in fact I've told you like 50 times before that I'm half Russian half Ukrainian. All I'm trying to explain to you is that RUSSIA is POCCNR, and UKRAINE is YKPAIHA. They are now two different countries and they will never again be the same country. And although the cultures are similar (in large part attributed to the 70 years of Soviet rule), they are also DIFFERENT! And in all honesty I don't know how many times I have to tell you, I'm not wishing for Russian football to do bad, in fact I want them to win, but because I was born and grew up in Ukraine I will always root for the ladder when the two meet. Case closed.

Oh and, when USA meets Russian in international football I think you know damn straight who I'm going to cheer for!!!

19. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    70 years of Soviet rule? Maybe... 1000 years of previous history, have nothing to do with it then.
    Why don't you take your UEFA ratings and go urinate on the statue of Bogdan Khmelnitsky or something. The original Soviet ruler.
    I wonder if you spend nearly as much time trying to explain the Germans or the French the presise difference of them from the Ukrainians. You seem to care about Russia a lot more than a true nezalezhnik should.

20. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't you Moldovan? What happend to all that enthusiasm about the Moldovan national team?

21. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    Ever saw me argue the Great Case of the Moldovan Ancient and Rightful Independence And Supreme and Underlying Difference From Everyone Else, Especially You, Commie Bastids?

BTW, the Ukrainians' first mention as a people separate from Russians dates back to the 12th century. Vladimir I ruled in the 10th. The St.Sophia Cathedral in Kiev was built by his son, Yaroslav the Wise in the 11th century. While you are out toppling the statues of Lenin, something should be done about this bastion of Soviet rule as well.

22. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moldavia was a state in Kievan Rus, right?

23. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    Neither was Vladivostok. Should I even ask for your point?
    I am anxiously waiting for a similar thread on the German board.

24. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need the Moldavian government to prevent any Moldovans from speaking Romanian, otherwise there's no going back to unification.

25. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    I see... Please, do try to prove your facinating point to the Germans and the French. Otherwise, your uncanny facination with Russia leads one to assume certain things which a true nezalezhnik would not be proud of.

The St.Sophia Cathedral. Think about it... It's even depicted on Ukrainian currency. The nerve of those Soveit collaborators.