What needs fixing for next season?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Dec 7, 2014.

1. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burns's comment about wanting to add more speed when they pick up Bowen would seam to fit your analyses.

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bowen is just like Teal.

3. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with your post, I hope that this means that the Revs will sign Jones to an extension. If not, they seem to have made a roster decision with Castillion based on a piece of the puzzle that is only guaranteed to be here on 2015.

Do the Revs think they can find another Castillion, much less another Jones? This moves indicates that they think they can. Perhaps they can if the Revs have indeed changed their approach and will continue to spend, but they should not overlook or underestimate what a perfect fit Jones is. Not all "real" DPs will have the same impact as Jones. In fact, few will. This is a case of the right guy, at the right time, in the right situation.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    JJ ain't no kid, I don't see why people are so anxious to extend him. It's not like we'll get extra seasons of the 2014 Jones. It would be a '16, '17 Jones and we don't have any idea what that will be.

And, at his age at the end of this contract, its not likely he'll have a lot of suitors.

This type of DP is only a bridge, at best, not a foundation. Unfortunately.

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Both are true. I see Jones still to be motivated for 2015 because he knows - either the Revs will pony up the $ for him and improve the team, stadium, etc - or he will realize it was lightning in a bottle for 6 months and he may look for other options (which would be a huge PR disaster for the Revs).

The pressure actually has gone up tremendously for Kraft, Burns, and Heaps. That can only be good for us as fans.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones has made it clear he is only here through 2015. His wife and kids live in LA, and he wants to be with them. He agreed to suck it up for 18 months, but I have a hard time picturing him re-signing with the Revs.

It is MLS Cup or bust for the 2015 Revs.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Yikes, I guess I missed that - was that from an article?

If that is the case, then my post probably still stands as true - he will be motivated to move to another team (unless he retires). And pressure still on Revs then to take advantage this year (maybe convincing him to stay) and/or deliver the replacement - both for on and off the field.

Ugh, why am I suddenly dreading 2015....

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is one, from Improper Bostonian.

dncm repped this.
  9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones has also stated that his international goals exist through 2016 Copa America Centenario, after that time will tell.

10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #160 RevsRule, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Well lets hope he moves them East. Maybe if he took a close look at California tax laws he would see that living there is not that lucrative. There is nice weather in other states that don't try and bleed you dry.

I would be VERY disappointed if he left here and went to say, the LA Gals.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Jones and Gerrard in their midfield would be too old. I could see Jones using his last 1 or 2 seasons to bring in the new LAFC into the league, and I wouldn't have a problem with that (as long as we find a way to replace him). I'd have a problem with him playing for the Galaxy though.

12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can try to re-sign him and it would be great if we could for another 2 years, but what if he is hell-bent on playing in LA? We could trade him to the Galaxy for one of their high-profile players and at least get something in return, but the new LA team will have nothing to offer us. Who needs extra allocation money or the top college pick when our track record for signing big-time players suggests getting "another" Jones with whatever resources we get is very slim.

13. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If his contract is through the end of the 2015 season, which I believe it is, but for all I know he is signed for MCFC :) , then it will be interesting to see how the new CBA addresses this situation. Will the Revs have a chance to make him a "reasonable" offer? If so, and he leaves, will there be any compensation for the Revs? How will the compensation be determined? Will he be able to walk on a free? I doubt it. If so, what would the new CBA look like?

Were any deals/promises made already before the blind draw?

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't see motivation as the issue, it's more fitness and durability.

He's a big, physical central midfielder. How many of those are still playing (and playing well) in their mid to late 30's?

Sure, we could move him back to central defense. I just don't see the same value for the Revs there.

My hope is that he permanently raises the standard and the expectations within the locker room by the end of his stay - and that becomes his legacy here.
    If he plays out his contract and we make him a qualified offer, we retain his rights within MLS - but, since he'd be out of contract, he'd be free to sign with any other league in the world with no compensation to the Revs.

socfandan repped this.
  15. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I think the question is will "free agency" rules in MLS change this winter. That's certainly a big concern of the player's association.

16. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was only considering a move within MLS. Outside of MLS, I understand would be a free transfer. Not sure he and his family are up for that anymore, but who knows?

Yes, I hope the "qualified" offer concept remains when the new CBA is signed, but as Huskydeac said, I am wondering how much the "free agency" rules will change this winter.

17. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #168 RevsLiverpool, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    Call me a pessimist but 2014 was the revs best shot. Now teams know what they're up against and can copy Arena's tactics in the final to negate Lee and offset our counter. The porous defense has only gotten weaker sans Soares.

Then, competitively, the east has gotten stronger with Kaka's Orlando and Villa's NYC. Everyone else is reloading while we are still patting ourselves on the back from the unprecedented Cup run. Out west, if LA makes it back, you now have to face Gerrard in a Cup final. I would prefer to face Landycakes again, Dempsey or anyone else out west 10 out of 10 times over Gerrard.

I expect the revs to make the playoffs but would be pleasantly surprised if they made the Cup again, let alone won it.

rkane1226 repped this.
  19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would carry a lot of weight if the Revs sat back and did nothing. I think the team needs to sign one major defender and one major striker to remain competitive.

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You're a pessimist.
    There was nothing new in Arena's tactics that anyone didn't already know about. Everyone we played last year tried to stop Nguyen.
    1. even though our defense did give up goals (like every other team IIRC), we weren't exactly "porous". 2. Wait, what? Wasn't Soares part of the problem?
    The east may just have easily gotten easier. You're looking at the addition of two expansion teams, big names or not, as competition for the top half of the east table? Let's see them kick a ball first.
    Again, you take the pessimistic view. We knew not only that could Donovan play in MLS, we knew that he could be a star in MLS. With Gerrard, it's all to be proven. There have been plenty of high-profile disappointments in MLS.

David B., for all the hype, had 6 year totals of 18g/40a and 7g/9a in his first year - compare that to LD's final season, 10g/19a. I'll take the under on Gerrard beating LD's numbers from last year.

21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    It's a good point - he has to stay injury free and he does draw a lot of fouls. But I get the feeling Jones is cut from a different cloth. I put him in the likes of the Lampard, Gerrard, etc still playing at a high level.

Agreed, a move to CB does not make sense.

And he is the single shock to significantly raise the standards of everyone - players, Heaps, and management. But if we don't have a pipeline of similar new players coming in to keep that trajectory going, then if he leaves after next year, we will be back debating if we will make the playoffs or not.

BERich repped this.
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Soares and the entire back 5 was a huge problem. Shuttleworth was super streaky first half. Enter Jones and all that changed. Like rkupp says - we still gave up goals because those players were still the same players.

Losing Soares should not be viewed as a loss but a way to significantly upgrade (not moving Jones). We clearly do not have a young CB that we want to invest in - unless the plan is to push Farrell inside. Then we have a different problem - we don't have a young attacking/defending RB that we want to invest it.

Bottom Line - Revs have to continue to add players from somewhere.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as a gentle reminder, the season starts in less than 60 days.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they start kicking a ball in anger (scrimmage vs RSL) 3 weeks from tomorrow.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: Who is going to score the goals this year? In the past 5 seasons, the Revs leading goal-scorer has had a significant drop the following season. The good news is, they have always found someone to step up and surpass the previous year. By this trend, player X should have a 20-goal season for the Revs in 2015:

Code:
    Revs leading goal scorer, (goals following season)
    2010: Marko Perovic, 6 (1)
    2011: Shalrie Joseph 8 (1)
    2012: Saer Sene 11 (5)
    2013: Diego Fagundez 13 (5)
    2014: Lee Nguyen 18 (?)

RevsLiverpool and a517dogg repped this.