What needs fixing for next season?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Dec 7, 2014.

1. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know its a little early but I like to think about this topic while the game is still fresh in my mind. So, what areas do people think need addressing to get us back to the final next year?

Here are my thoughts

1) Defense - our biggest problem. I don't know exactly what is wrong but I do know they had us exposed too many times in the first half and who the Hell was watching Keane when he scored? IDK if it was Soares or Farrell's fault. I do know that those two don't seem to work that well together. JoGo often gets caught ball watching (not today) and Tierney is too slow to play defense. Heaps has to figure out what is wrong and fix it.

2) Forward - Davies works hard but Im not convinced he's the answer. Mullins looked good when he came in but hasn't other times. We need a 3'd option and it needs to be someone with major speed

3) Goalie - Bobby "hands of stone" scares the Hell out of me. We were lucky he didnt cost us at least 2 goals today. On bad rebound and one time he went to get the ball but didn't. Maybe we should hire Reis as a goal keeper coach? or invest in stickum or try and sign a better goalie

Finally Rowe and Tierney - neither is starting material in MLS. Heaps needs to realize that.

pwykes and firstshirt repped this.
  2. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still don't think Tierney is a problem, but Rowe definitely didn't have a good year. And you're right, defence was disjointed.

But I think the team needs to worry about who they're going to lose in the draft before they make any major personnel decisions.

3. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jermaine Jones has 1 year left on his contract. If that's not extended nothing else matters.

Sachem07 and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  4. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Pay Nguyen whatever he wants + 50k
    Retain Jones til he retires no matter the cost.
    Rowe to bench, Diego on loan, Tierney to LM
    Spend between Nguyen/Jones money on LB
    Buy Shuttleworth new hands.

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tierney kept Keane onside, the other 3 stepped. Farell played like a frantic rookie overcommitting. Mullins could be the real deal with more experience. Nguyen, Jones, Davies all passed up shots to lok for the perfect play.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am convinced that Shuttleworth is nothing more than a back up. He has hands of stone and his positioning is suspect. The way I see it they Revs need upgrades at:
    Forward, L&R outside mid, LB, CB and Keeper. Yes they made it to the final but they over achieved but they can't rest on their laurels. They have to upgrade. When Heaps wakes up tomorrow he needs to be thinking "how can I make this team better?" and asking the FO "are you committed to making us a winner next year?"
    Any 3 or 4 of Davies, Bunbury, Rowe, Soares, Tierney and Shuttlworth should all be considered for upgrades

Sachem07 repped this.
  7. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just made the finals and took great team into overtime at their field, and you think six of the first xi need upgrading. The discussion on this board just kills me sometimes.

fwiw, at east one of the eleven who started today will be unprotected wednesday -- two if they decide to protect Fagundez. So they are going to lose one or two of Alston, Davies, Bunbury, Soares, Fagundez, Shuttleworth, Mullins, Neumann.

Job one in of-season will be replacing the guys lost in expansion.

Job two will be deciding whether to bring Goncalves back.

Job three will be figuring out who to bring in and where to get them -- no first round draft choice unless they trade to get one.

Don't expect big signings -- they have new blood signed this year for next year (along the Davies model) -- Castillion, Taylor, Mullins, Neumann.

I think Heaps likes his core and will be looking to bring in only a few pieces . . . nothing like the signings that will make BS posters happy. But without a major overhaul, next year looks really promising. Unless you think the last few months and the playoff run were a mirage, why would you make major changes?

8. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    if Tierney were moved to LM, and we signed someone for Nguyen money, I'd be happy, and think that might be enough to keep Soares from having his skirt pulled up so often. BS is far and away the weakest link on the field, and GK is not the place to have that.

9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we need to protect Stone hands Shuttleworth or Davies. Doubt anybody would take them. Not saying I wouldnt resign them but you have to take chances on exposing players in order to protect others

10. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Davies turned it on for the post season. I'm sure theres a team that would take him, if not at his current salary, at least at a "bonafide offer". I would leave Shuttleworth unprotected hoping someone was stupid enough to take him.

11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowe was the weak link in an otherwise stellar midfield, but I think we still need to find an honest-to-god #9

Revs in 2010 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  12. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    That's 1 play in 1 match, which was filled with mistakes (mostly by the referee).

And if Tierney doesn't score to tie it, or track back to stop Keane/Donovan on other breakaways, we're not even in Extra-Time. If Tierney doesn't set up Davies for the goal against NYRB we're not even at MLS Cup. I'm not going to suggest he doesn't have weaknesses... one of them being an over-reliance on the left foot... but Tierney is a key player and a strength of this team.

The mistake is not playing Tierney further up the field as a D-Mid or flank. He can make defensive plays, but he's not going to be a standout member of a back 4. We have the D-Mid now sured up with Jones, Caldwell, Doorman, Daigo, etc. At this point I'd focus on him as the flank player he ought to be.

The other mistake was not putting Barnes on for either Rowe and/or Farrell to react to the play on the field.

Personally, I felt that we should've adapted to a 5-3-2 midway through the match, to tighten up defensively and spring forward on the counter attack. The right side of the field was a problem, and we were getting very little from Rowe. Barnes could've dealt with the speed of Zardes better, and the help likely would've allowed Farrell to focus and relax more. I also thought the switch of Rowe and Bunbury hurt the game. Bunbury seemed dangerous up until that point, and he didn't add much defensively to that side.

That's one of the things I think you miss out on trying to hit on Tierney. This is a lengthy MLS season. A lot of things occur. Injuries, suspensions, nternational tournaments, etc. You need those low-mid money guys like Tierney, Fagundez, Rowe, Barnes, Alston, etc. to be able to spell time, and do their part to help the team along, even if you don't think they stand a chance at an MLS All-Star selection.

As far as what we need for next season... we all assumed going into this match that we were without a serious fault. Why now, after losing yet another close extra-time MLS Cup do we assume there are problems that need to be fixed? We were that close yet again and knocking. The thing to do ought to be just to secure JoGo, Nguyen, Shuttleworth, etc. to long-term deals, and keep at it with this same core group of players. If you do it right, you got several useless veteran players going forward next season that you can let go to help find the cash for that: Joseph ($248,500), Dorman ($135,000), McCarthy ($101,332). You may also want to decide what to do with Daigo ($125,000), Rowe ($100,000), and Fagundez ($110,000)... I love em to death, but we also gotta at some point expect that potential turns into reality for that money, when Caldwell, Neuman, etc. do a similar job for far less money. Maybe it would be better to try and sell them to Sporting to see if they benefit from the jump abroad.

If anything, our weakness remains the lack of a true number 9. Charlie Davies has come on to fill that role well, and by his own comments is 90% back to where he was before. If he can make that extra leap to the next level we will run away with the league next season. He certainly has that chemistry built up with Jones, Nguyen, etc. so I'd stick it out with him. However, I wouldn't go it alone with just him. If he can't we may need to secure another scorer who can come off the bench and get us that goal when needed. Mullins isn't that guy. He may play great hold up center forward play, but after that initial run, he has proven his lack of finishing ability, disappointingly. They signed 2 players this season we never got a look to see. NYRB had Cahill coming off the bench behind BWP and Sam. Seattle had Cooper coming off the bench when Dempsey and Martins weren't available. LA had Gordon to bring on with Keane and Zardes. We had Davies and Mullins and a collection of unproven players (Imbongo, Taylor, Akpan, Castillion). I'm not sure if that's the best collection of forwards an MLS Cup caliber team should be carrying on its roster. We play in a 1 forward set, why are we carrying 8-9 forwards on the roster? I know that involves some midfielders like Neuman and Bunbury, and Bengston who was loaned out. Still, I'd rather they focus on the quality of the strikers we have than the quantity of them, widdle that down to 3-5 known entities. Go with Davies, give Taylor and Castillion more looks, keep Mullins for the future, and find a proven player to replace Imbongo ($112k), Akpan ($48,500), and Bengston (???).

First and foremost, I'd say Kraft should do a heck of a job arguing for DP slots for MLS to buy top notch referees to borrow better ones than the crap that we have to deal with.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  13. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Choose one of Bunbury and Goncalves to keep. We can't afford both. If it's Jose, Diego needs to be ready to start next year. If it's Teal, we need to find a new right back (with the idea of moving Farrell inside).

Sell Bengtson for whatever you can get for him. I'm not too worried about the fee, I want the DP slot available for:

Call Juan Agudelo. Put Jermaine Jones on the phone with him and tell Jermaine to talk Juan into coming back. Make Agudelo our second DP.

4-1-3-2

Shuttleworth
    New RB - Farrell - Soares - Tierney
    Jones
    Bunbury-Nguyen-Rowe
    Davies-Agudelo

I would go to war with that lineup. We'd be in a lot of shootouts, but I would be absolutely confident we'd win almost all of them.

14. Pine State Tree

Oct 25, 2007
    Maine
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm very glad to say that I think all of the Revs' starting outfield players are tradable, which is not something I'd have said a couple of years ago.

Shuttleworth is an obvious player to leave unprotected.

The bench is full of players who can do a job, and if there's any player on the bench I'd want to protect it would be Mullins, because he offers something different, fits the Revs' 4-5-1, has shown some finishing ability and because his upside is unknown.

Expansion has come a year too early.

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup

16. Pine State Tree

Oct 25, 2007
    Maine
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    And I think that the priority fix is actually to get Tierney out of left back and further forward. Farrell's only 22, he could get better. (And Bunbury could improve as a defender as well.) But Tierney lacks pace and isn't a great defender, and you can't fix slow. Right now to move Tierney up the choice is to have Alston's total lack of attacking ability and Barnes' horrible defense. Maybe they can trade Rowe or Fagundez to get a better full-back (I think particularly that Fagundez is a poor fit for the 4-5-1 Heaps likes to play, but could be successful at a team that wants to play 2 up top).

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful about talking rational thoughts like trading Rowe or Diego on this board, the natives don't seem to like it...

18. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    The defense makes mistakes, but really not more or less than the average MLS team.

I think you mean the Zardes goal, not the Keane goal. For me that's Rowe's fault. Farrell lost him, but Rowe is right there in position to close down the angle goalside, and did not. You don't have to be a top notch defender to know to stay goalside of a player, that's basic fundamentals. Farrell was nervous this game, and Heaps should've seen it clearly, and with Rowe being mostly invisible he should've switched it up and added Barnes to help him out, withdrawing Rowe. JoGo does get caught ball-watching, but he also reads the play so well and anticipates plays... I splurge to keep him around. Tierney is one of the fastest players in the league, it's not speed that gets him, he's just not that great at team defense. I'd move him further up the flank, and stop expecting him to play as part of the back 4 (I'm not even sure I'd use a back 4... New England seems prime for a 3-4-1-2).

I'm not sold on all of the defensive players, but I'd say our defense isn't so much a weakness. I'm fine with JoGo, Farrell, Soares, and Tierney. I also like Barnes and Alston. AJ Soares is the guy I've had the biggest problem with, but he's actually played well enough down the stretch of the season to earn his place in the team.

I'm not sure there's a player out there who is going to play for cheap money that fixes all the problems for the defense, and I wouldn't try to replace the entire defense. This is an MLS Cup caliber team, mind you. This defense actually stands to get better by playing more time together, and playing in more important key matches such as this.

Forward is still our biggest problem. Davies is a potential solution, but not a guaranteed solution. Outside of Davies there are 7-8 forwards on the roster. I don't see why that's the case. I know that includes Bunbury and Neuman who are really mids... and Bengston who was on loan. However, is it necessary to have Mullins, Imbongo on a decent salary, Akpan for cheap money, Tony Taylor for cheap money, and Castillion for big money? We play with a 1 forward system, and have way too many unproven commodities at the position. There are several teams where I would take their 3rd best striker as our number 1. Some hard decisions are going to have to be made about which of these guys is kept on and which are let go.

Just as a comparison;

Bayern Munich play at the top level of each competition, with a busy schedule, and they carry 4. That 4 includes Lewandowski (a proven 9), Muller (a guy who can play as a forward and/or mid), Pizarro (an experienced veteran who can fill in time), and Kurt (a promising youth player from the reserve squad).

Chelsea play at the top level of each competition, with a busy schedule, and they carry 4. That 4 includes Diego Costa (a proven 9), Schurrle (a guy who can play as a forward and/or mid), Drogba (an experienced veteran who can fill in time), and Remy (a promising young striker they're hoping can come in and play a key role).

Real Madrid play at the top level of each competition, with a busy schedule, and they carry 4. That 4 includes Benzema (a proven 9), Ronaldo (a guy who can play as a forward and/or a mid), Chicharito (an experienced forward who can contribute), and Jese (a player they know who came up through the youth system).

Why is it with us, it's such a crapshoot? I know we aren't going to be able to get the same quality of player that 3 of the top clubs on earth do, but clearly we can operate with a similar approach, right?

Bunbury is your can play as forward and mid.
    Is Davies your 9, or your proven veteran that can fill a role?
    Is Mullins or Taylor your young player you're hoping develops
    Is Castillion going to have a role?
    Why keep Imbongo, Akpan, and Neuman?

I don't even mind carrying a 5th to make sure we still got everything covered, but only 1 of those roles is definite.
    Shuttleworth saved our bacon on more than one occasion this season. He had a spotty match, stopping a few breakaways... but Shuttleworth isn't the problem.

There's simply no comparison between the two players.

Tierney is an experience veteran player, with local ties to the community, who is Rev for life. He's not going to get MLS All-Star attention, although at times his play warrants it. He is an extremely accurate free kick taker, plays an excellent ball forward (like the one that sprang Davies in the first half for what easily could've been the opening goal), and he tracks back and makes excellent defensive plays (like tracking back to break up breakaways by Keane and Donovan, or blocking crosses from Ishizaki). He plays well above his $100k salary, and you know what you're going to get out of him.

Rowe is still a young developing player, who shows bright moments at times, and others disappears completely or makes horrible mistakes. He's still young to where you don't want to pull the plug on the experiment. His upside could be so great. Let's not lose sight of him being the 2nd leading scorer on the team. I wouldn't cut ties just yet. However, I may take money from someone who is willing to pay to take him off our hands and develop him, if we are able to use that money to help keep JoGo, Nguyen, et al. around.

19. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    I'm pretty sure Jermaine is going to want to move to center back to try and stay in the national team picture (not that I think it is a good idea, but I think that's how it is going to go). Whether Heaps lets him or not... I kind of think Jones being 'the big name DP' will give him some pull, but I don't know. I'm willing to give it a try, but it would be a shame, and likely a pretty big mistake for everyone involved.

I do think center back is the place we need the most help though. I loved JoGo last year and I still like him this year, but I think he's shown he makes some poor decisions. I think pairing him with Jermaine would be an unmitigated disaster, but he's still relatively young for a back. I'd be willing to let Jermaine be the new JoGo, but the two together scare me, so I say let JoGo go if Jones wants to play in the back and look for a solid center back. I would say a DP center back would be the best thing we could do to strengthen this team right now regardless. Someone really world class. I do like Soares and appreciate his work, but I just don't know if he's good enough any more... definitely as depth -- we were actually mercifully spared injuries this year, but I don't know... I guess I won't be surprised if JoGo goes and we end up with Jones and Soares in back next year.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rowe go, but I don't think it's going to happen. I also think he never really recovered from his injury early in the year and we may fall in love with him again after some recovery time. I think we're basically going to have to just wait and see who we lose in expansion and try to fill the holes and there won't be room for much of anything else, but I would love to see JoGo get a world class partner.

20. Pine State Tree

Oct 25, 2007
    Maine
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Barnes is utterly horrible defensively and I would let him go as soon as possible., Alston is good cover at fullback, but is just a defender.

I think the extra forwards are there because they have contracts and nobody else wants them. Don't lose sight of the fact that the Revs were a really horrible team 2 years ago and some of that horror is on the bench.

Shuttleworth isn't a problem, but isn't special enough to try hard to keep him.

If there's reason to keep him, it's that if the Revs want to keep Jones longer they'll probably end up woth him playing deeper and need another midfielder with a good engine that can play up and down. Maybe he could fulfil that role.

So I come back to Fagundez being the odd man out, having talent, but not fitting the shape.

21. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of what needs to change is experience on the big stage. Farrell showed serious nerves, as did several of the other players. I'm not ready to write him off because of one bad game, but his stock has definitely dropped.

Totally agree with the earlier poster that the biggest need, by far and away, is a striker who's a real threat to play off the quality stuff coming from midfield. As much as I'd like him to be, Charlie Davies is probably not going to be that guy.

22. mloyko

mloyko Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely make a run at Agudelo. Shop Goncalves for a young, up and coming CB and maybe shop Rowe. I'd like to find a way to get Fagundez integrated more next year. I felt the Revs were missing that one target stiker that Agudelo could provide.

23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If we are being completely objective, everyone aside from Nguyen and Jones could be upgraded in the context of MLS. I'm not saying they should, but when people say it's ridiculous to talk about replacing players, just because we had a great season, I think people have lost their objectivity.

I think their biggest weakness is at the center of defense. JoGo stepped back a bit this season, and was often times caught off the play, but I still think Soares is a huge liability. He is too inconsistent from play too play. With a stronger player next to Jogo, it would cover up Tierny's lack of speed and allow Caldwell and Jones more freedom to markout midfielders and push forward in the midfield and attacking thirds.

I would also like to see another wide attacker added. Teal played great toward the end of the season. Rowe was totally unreliable, but there weren't many options. Hopefully Diego can make a step forward and they can add another option.

I would also like to see another striker. I'm still not convinced Davies will do what he has done for the last few weeks, going forward. Either another player to push and compete with him, or a possible true #9 that can pump in goals. Maybe Mullens will progress, but who knows.

Jon Martin, VTSoccerFan and Crooked repped this.
  24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I do think that many need to be upgraded. But if you read it again I said consider any 3 or 4 of that list. It's MLS you are not going to have a star at every position so you will have some so so players starting. If you are not looking to upgrade your roster after the season is done they are not doing there jobs. If you lose Bunbury or Davies in expansion are you looking for players of equal ability or better? What kills is when people fall in love with the players on this team and let it cloud their judgment. The Revs can't find a better keeper than Shuttleworth? A better starting mid than Rowe? A better CB than Soares? A better forward than Davies? Although they may have one in Castillon. As for big signings I fully expect them to make a splash and bring in a quality player or two. What better time to do that than during this off season? Lots of talk about the team, renewed interest, DP signing in Jones. Want to boost ticket sales? Sign a decent player or two between now and the start of training camp. I am thinking we could see 6-8 new players on the Revs next season

patfan1 and Kraft Out repped this.
  25. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States