What Nationwide Club Should I Support?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by house18, Aug 26, 2003.

1. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I had a conversation with a colleague of mine, born and raised in Southern California, who is a HUGE American football fan. Despite there being two teams in LA when he was a kid - the Raiders and the Rams - he arbitrarily chose to support the Minnesota Vikings, purely because he liked purple and yellow! I hear this story regularly, usually from American football fans, who choose teams based on colours or the name, and it has nothing to do with local pride or community or the team from your home town running through your blood... it always strikes me as odd.

However, when chosing a foreign team to follow, you obviously can't have that kind of heritage apply to you, so the best way to do it is (as has been said) find some kind of link to a part of England - ancestors, family and friend connections, or so on.

I've been a Sheffield Wednesday fan since I was six years old, I was born and raised in the city, and even though I live in California now, I remain blue and white through and through. They are a team with a wonderful history, league champions and FA Cup winners multiple times, although they haven't won a MAJOR trophy for many many years, they were among England's best until the mid-1990s. Then, through a combination of financial mismanagement, bad luck, and over-paid under-performing players, they had a fall from grace to the third tier. Fighting their way back now, trying to reclaim their former glories!

Other Nationwide teams I have a soft spot for (through family/friends connections, and my own personal preferences) - Walsall, Ipswich Town and Rochdale. From further down the pyramid, I also always look for the results from Accrington Stanley, Whitby Town, Hallam and Sheffield FC!

2. geronamo4444

geronamo4444 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Carlisle owns sheffield wednesday

cumbria forever, carlisle will make it to the prmier ship and beyond in the next few years...eat that sheffield....

3. geronamo4444

geronamo4444 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Carlisle also jsut beat rochdale...

4. Triphat

Triphat New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Red and Blue Land
    Nah... Manure and Palace just dont go together...

5. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Huh?

How do you get beyond the Premiership? You can't get promoted any higher! Plus, you'll need to add about 5,000 seats to Brunton Park to make it Premiership-standard. What's with all the hostility anyway?

6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's just showing the intellect required to be a cumbrian... or the lack thereof.

7. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think he was trying for 'Geronimo' as his screen name, and missed. . .

8. gtfc-gooner

gtfc-gooner New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Grimsby
    I would have to say Grimsby

9. eoghantodd

eoghantodd New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Portland
    I can describe how I picked a club, perhaps a similar thing might work for you...

couple of years ago when the American season ended, I decided to pick a team in England...I looked for family connection...a place my family had lived at one point.

The other choice would have been a side who's chairman had been my parents landlord back in the late sixties and early seventies...

10. Rams Fan

Rams Fan New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Derby,UK
    Derby county 20,000 crowds plus every game. As a DCFC fan you also get to hate the tree huggers on the other side of the trent!

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And which team was that?

12. pilgrimmarc

pilgrimmarc New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Plymouth
    Try supporting/following Plymouth Argyle after all it was from Plymouth, England where The Mayflower set sail for the US and colonised the Eastern Board of New England. Family connection possibly if any ancestors go back that far. We are the only team to have the name Argyle and uniquely play with all green shirts.:D

13. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Hmmm, very good reasoning!

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess his Euro team should be Sampdoria then. ;)

15. jonc

jonc New Member

May 9, 2006
    plymouth
    Got to agree with pilgrimmark. Lets face it in 5 years we've climbed 59 places through the leagues spending little money, making profits all the way and increasing our average home gates by 10000 in that time (though this season was too low for my liking). Come and join us on our bandwagon

http://.pafc.premiumtv.co.uk

:)

16. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    I usually make a post once a year in this thread telling people to support Coventry City(I missed last years though). So here's my post for 2006.

17. pilgrimmarc

pilgrimmarc New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Plymouth

18. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Doesn't everyone? :p

19. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You are a good man.

20. william64

william64 New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Paso Robles, Calif.
    As an American, who obviously doesn't live near any English clubs or was raised as a club supporter, I tend to follow and support English clubs with Americans playing for them. However, this is getting increasingly more difficult. Which Championship club do you support as a Yank: Reading, Leeds, or Watford? In the Premiership: ManU, Fulham, Citeh, Everton, Rovers?

For me it comes down to clubs who seem to support US players. I may be wrong, but in my opinion, Fulham & Reading are good examples of clubs that are supporters of American footballers.

21. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Then pick Sheffield Wednesday! We had one of the first US nationals to play in the old English D1 (John Harkes), had the first US player ever to play in an English cup final at Wembley (Harkes again), and currently have an exciting young American defender (Frankie Simek).

Come on, be an Owl - you know it makes sense :D

22. william64

william64 New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Paso Robles, Calif.
    I've got a friend from Sheffield and he's a Arsenal supporter, so Sheffield can't be much to get excited about (kidding of course).

John Harkes does commentary on TV for MLS now and I've heard a bit about Simek. He scored his first professional goal this season I believe. I hope he's doing us "Yanks" proud!

23. Benny

Benny New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Bournemouth UK
    Afc Bournemouth

24. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love Millwall. They'll be back in the Championship soon.

25. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke City!

A new Chairman with lots of dosh; a top manager just re-signed today.

The future's bright; the future's red & white. Stoke on the up!