What Nationwide Club Should I Support?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by house18, Aug 26, 2003.

1. gdl1958

gdl1958 New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Avoid Peterborough until Barry Fry leaves.

I qualify this as we here were promised so much but so little has been delivered since he arrived. He may have "personality" that is much admired by those in the media but on the pitch the play and results are that of a lucky buffoon. Honesty seems lacking.

As someone above suggested the dartboard method looks the safest bet, but if it lands on Peterborough have another go. :)

2. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Not forgetting the fact that Peterborough are fuçking shite, of course.

And all your fans smell of piss.

3. gdl1958

gdl1958 New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Maybe the average PUFC fan does have a bladder problem, another reason for not attending.

A trip to Abbey Stadium would be the better bet, the catering is one of the best in the land I am led to believe and surrounded by all that culture :rolleyes:

4. sephjnr

sephjnr Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Club:
    Bristol City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seconded! Reasons why:

* Regular attendances of 11k+
    * In 2003/04 season we had an 11-game league winning streak. In 2002/03 we went 19 games -across all competitions- undefeated in a row. And this season we are currently 12 without loss.
    * Our chief striker - Leroy Lita - has scored the most goals in the country across all competitions.
    * In the last 6 weeks we've gone from 21st place in the league to 6th.
    * Our ground is in the picturesque view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge - Isaambard Kingdom Brunel's final project
    * The buses are shite
    * The food is shite
    * Our nickname sucks
    * We have too many strikers and left-backs
    * We're £1m in debt
    * Our manager still thinks he can play
    * Local TV coverage is risible
    * At least we're not Bristol Rovers!

BRISTOL CITY!!!!!!!!

5. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Wow! I started this thread in August of 2003 and it is still going! Amazing! I have had some different angles to follow, I obtained a Stockport County match-worn jersey, I have been Reading, Peterborough and QPR in CM, I have been Bristol Rovers and Scunthorpe in FIFA 2005, I even got a Morcambe jersey for my collection! Now it's down to bribery! A lot of you have made some great presentations but let's see how far you are willing to go! Bribe me with jerseys, t-shirts, hats, anything you can think of to get me to support your team!

6. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    I replied to this thread over a year ago but I shall answer again

Coventry City...Though I can't be bothered at the moment to list reasons why. Perhaps you could try being them in Championship manager and see what you think.

7. Toon-Man

Toon-Man New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    You have to support Derby County...

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradford City!

9. Lurchador

Lurchador New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    My old man from England has been following Crystal Palace since the late 1930s - but I chose to go for Brighton & Hove Albion because almost all of my family in Britain live within the Sussex Counties.

I also like keeping one eye on Yeovil (especially now they're in the league) because of their giant-killing tradition and I have a soft-spot for perrenial underdogs.

I say be original... pick a team that no one else you know likes or supports.

10. superOwls

superOwls New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Sheffield, England
    You should definitely support Sheffield Wednesday (by the way, it's nice to see a couple other Wednesdayites here :cool: ). You would be choosing the perfect time to support them aswell as it looks like the team are on the up with our (fairly) new manager Paul Sturrock. Plus we have a great history.
    You don't want to be support Stockport County, they're on their way down. They do have our ex-manager though (Chris Turner).

11. Bridge

Bridge Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Vancouver, Wash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell you who to support. However it's too late for me..as I support LCFC. Unhappily, we are crap at the moment but I still would bleed blue if cut. First post for me on this forum..hello to all!

12. Thimble Keegan

Thimble Keegan New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Rustington, Sussex
    If you are looking for the coolest team then that would be Brighton & Hove Albion. We have the coolest sponsor in the world as we have SKINT splashed across the front of the kit.

An explaination: SKINT is a Brighton based record label which has FatBoy Slim signed up...He is a massive Albion fan so by default makes us the coolest team going.

As for being massive under-dogs that is also true considering the restrictions we have to play under.

Having said that if your first team is Man U whom I hate with a passion then I would rather you left the Albion alone.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
    Worthing BAH

13. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    are conference clubs professional? my impression is that when you are dropped from the third division you are no longer allowed to pay players.

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    some are professional, but most are semi-pro. There is no level at which you aren't allowed to pay players. You could field a fully professional team in a sunday pub league if you wanted.

15. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Pretty much 50/50 in the National division. Below that I can only think of Grays who have a full time squad, although at least on other has been reported to be thinking of it.

16. essie_majedi

essie_majedi New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    So. Cal
    leeds united because you'll never have to raise your expectation level :)

17. King Rooney

King Rooney New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Leicester
    support leicester, reccomend leicester to ur friends. :)

18. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    are games from the qst, 2nd 3rd and conference divisions televised at all?

19. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne

Yes, although it tends to be mainly 'Championship' games that are shown, and far less regularly than Premiership games. West Ham v Derby is on now, as a matter of fact.

20. Leedsutd12

Leedsutd12 New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Newton
    i agree with u that he should choose leeds but not for the same reason. They are struggling through some hard times but they are still an exciting team to listen to (i listen to all the games on the radio because im from America). They have alot of great young players that are going to be successful andnow that Ken Bates bought the team they might be able to get the funds under control and in a season or two make their way back to the premiership. go Leeds!!!

21. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    What's the point of supporting some team thousands of miles away that you have no hope of seeing on TV in the US?

There's always a lot of talk about "real" fans following small clubs. I can kind of see how this applies to people who live close enough to go to the club's games, but for an American with few previous ties to a particular club to do so just seems lame.

Give me ManU, Arse, Chelsea, and Liverpool over some random Nationwide team I'll never see. Real fans like to watch soccer (and attend games, which is why we have MLS), not read scores and summaries and study history on the internet.

22. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    This dropped way too low and i have yet to recieve any bribe offers, come on folks!

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    preston north end, including star winger eddie lewis

24. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh, ye of 8 years ago. The internet has made it possible to follow just about any club anywhere, I'm certain I know far more about QPR because of various websites, and their World subscription site, than I know about the Revolution, which is my "local" club (though a 3 hour drive from me). Which is, of course, as much because the Revs suck at communicating with their supporters as for any other reason. Most English clubs (at least those in the league) have online live broadcasts of all their games and good highlights packages on World or World-type sites. It's perfectly possible to follow and be a fan of Yeovil from the US without ever leaving the US. I don't think I'd call that "supporting" per se but following just about anyone is possible.

And, if you're really dedicated, you'll hop on a plane every now and again aod catch a game or two, as I've done for years. I think I've seen a couple dozen QPR games over the last 15 or so years I've been following QPR, not exactly season 5ticket holder pace but not bad for someone who lives across the Atlantic Ocean. In fact Ive seen QPR at least as much, if not more, than I've seen the Revs live.

No, there's only one reason to support Asre, Liverpool, Chelscum, ManU, or whomever...it's easy, and you're lazy.

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Without meaning to insult you. What is the point?

The obvious reason to support the clubs you advised against is that they all play good football, have a great history, have excellent players and are much easier to follow.

Following the likes of Yeovil is largely pointless, even if you live in Yeovil, let alone if you live in the US. To discover a team takes more than a simple choice. You need to fall in love, it should be organic. And to do that you need to watch alot of football, which is alot harder for the lesser teams.

The likes of Yeovil are not a very good team for you to support, because they will never give you the sort of excitement you need from across the Atlantic and you will eventually get bored.